Running Question

So...I've been doing Insanity with about one day of rest in between videos. I know the recommendation is every day, but I sometimes do yoga in between. Anyway, I think I'm in decent shape.

I have asthma and, for the first time in my entire life, ran an entire mile. The only reason I had to stop, however, was because of an absolutely horrific headache. It was about 55 degrees F outside today, and I don't know if my headache was a product of the wind, or lack of oxygen, or what.

So...does this happen to any of you when you run outside? What are your solutions?
Any suggestions?

I was told that it would go away eventually, but I wonder if I can do anything else while I'm running to prevent it.

Thank you :heart:

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Allergies?
    Dehydration?

Those would be my first two guesses for a running headache.
    Good luck!
    ~maddymama
  • Blue851
    Blue851 Posts: 2
    Maybe you need to drink more water or if it was sunny you might need to wear sun glasses to avoid squinting.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Allergies?
    Dehydration?

Those would be my first two guesses for a running headache.
    Good luck!
    ~maddymama

That's what a friend suggested! I think I'll try to drink a LOT of water during the day, and see how it goes next time. Thanks!
    Ditto, Blue.
    :heart:
  • cheshirechic
    Oops, double post. :embarassed:
  • Take 2 advil or tylenol and hour before you go out - make sure you're hydrated too, sunglasses, and make sure you're not clenching your teeth, or tightening your shoulders near your neck when you're running. Relax, go slow, breathe deep and keep at it- it should go away as you get used to running too :-)
  • hchandler0823
    hchandler0823 Posts: 46 Member
    I get heat headaches!

They're terrible and normally, they don't go away. Anytime that my body gets overheated, the result is a nasty headache.

I typically put a cool washcloth on my forehead for a few minutes and that normally gets it to a manageable point.

Good luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I second the tylenol. It's also good for your heart in small doses. My doctor had me on baby tylenol for a while when I had high bp several years ago.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    It could be from the wind too. I get that way when it is a little chilly or windy out. If I put a headband (the winter kind) around my ears it helps a lot. It seems the headache is stemming from the wind blowing through my ears even with headphones in.
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    I have always been told never to take pain killers pre-run. It could mask any serious injury that comes up. However, I just tried to research that and didn't see any hard evidence that it might be a real problem; it just seems to be a recommendation.

I second the dehydration headache theory though.
  • cheshirechic
    This all makes sense. I avoid medicine (even painkillers usually), but I'll probably ask my doctor about the tylenol thing. I probably DO clench my teeth (and I guess thinking positive will help this too, instead of "I hate this...omfg death..." while I'm running).

I'm also currently chugging my second Nalgene of water today. Dehydration makes sense.

Thanks for the quick responses; I appreciate all of the help!

(And will probably invest in an ear-warming headband, too!)