The answer to cardio before or after weight training

Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Well after reading many of these post , we can all agree on one thing. There is no right or wrong answer , just what feels best for the person , what to start with. See I read a lot on this and my friend told me jogging is bad period if your trying to gain muscle. He has been lifting for awhile and has entered body building compititions. He says it breaks down the muscle.

I just think in the end is no one set of rules for everyone , what works for one may not work for the other

Exactly! :) Your friend is correct, after about an hour of steady state cardio your body does start using muscle as fuel.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    In every weightlifting magazine I've read it was the exact opposite.

Strength train and then run.

If you run first you're going to wear yourself out and not lift as heavy. (I've tried both methods and this is true.)
    Cardio also depletes glycogen which you need for weight training.

It all depends on your goals.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/training/a/ExerciseOrder.htm

Same here I was doing cardio first then my strength training and my trainer told me to reverse it. I find it much easier to do the weight machines first and then cardio.
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    Thank you for sharing :flowerforyou: That's exactly what I've been doing! I run on my treadmill for 45 minutes and then finish my workout off with some weights...glad to know I'm doing it right :bigsmile:
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    Well after reading many of these post , we can all agree on one thing. There is no right or wrong answer , just what feels best for the person , what to start with. See I read a lot on this and my friend told me jogging is bad period if your trying to gain muscle. He has been lifting for awhile and has entered body building compititions. He says it breaks down the muscle.

I just think in the end is no one set of rules for everyone , what works for one may not work for the other

Exactly! :) Your friend is correct, after about an hour of steady state cardio your body does start using muscle as fuel.

Well I liked running a lot ! but ever since I spoke with him I just figured Id like lifting a little more, so I did what he said and it's giving me results. It's a funny thing, for a month your lifting, the weights getting heavier, but your body appears the same, then one day you wake up and your muscles are bigger ! lol

But on the other hand, I also workedout for 6-7 months running every morning then weight training and I lost a lot of weight and didnt lose much muscle, so I really do beleive it all depends on what the person is looking to do.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Cardio first is counter productive to optimal muscle building. You want all your energy to lift as intensely as possible to trigger hypertrophy. Why Cardio to burn calories? Just eat less. And never ever mimic professional athletes. They are the elite(talent, genetics,) and what they do and can do does not apply to the rest of us.
  • lois2324
    lois2324 Posts: 20
    Options

If you run first you're going to wear yourself out and not lift as heavy. (I've tried both methods and this is true.)

totally depends on your aims tho, women in general arnt wanting to build a lot of muscle but burn fat so i guess cardio then weight would probally work better for that
  • lois2324
    Options

totally depends on your aims tho, women in general arnt wanting to build a lot of muscle but burn fat so i guess cardio then weight would probally work better for that
  • pyro13g
    Options

http://www.myfooddiary.com/resources/ask_the_expert/fat-burning_zone_myth.asp

Reign in the cardio.
  • lois2324
    Options

indeed i started reading and thought i had the answer and now im confused again lol, i think im going to just play around for what works best for me! :noway:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

indeed i started reading and thought i had the answer and now im confused again lol, i think im going to just play around for what works best for me! :noway:

Probably the best way to do it. Both are going to work for just general fitness.
    But if you have specific goals one way is going to be superior to the other.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My gym's class timetable dictates whether i do a cardio class before my weights class or vice versa! I have no control over the matter and am just going with the flow!
  • MaryS910
    MaryS910 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I asked my trainer this question just yesterday. What she has me do is 8 minutes of cardio to warm up ad get my heart rate up at the start of my workout. Next, I do the weight machines and free weights. Lastly, I do about another 20-25 minutes of cardio. She said that if you do all your cardio first, it tires you and you're more likely to use bad form during strength training. You're also less likely to do as much weight or reps due to fatigue. She also said you don't get full benefit doing your set on one machine and then going to the next. For example, I'll do 12 reps on the leg press, get off and then do 12 on bicep, get off and do 12 on the adductor, etc and then start the circuit over after doing some stretching. She said that studies show if you do 3 sets of the same thing back to back to back, you aren't reaping the same benefits as the muscle needs to rest in between and you are fresh for a new set and perform the exercise better. Any thoughts on that?
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options

I majored in personal training and this is true in my classes this is what they taught us.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I do them on different days!
  • pyro13g
    Options
    . She said that studies show if you do 3 sets of the same thing back to back to back, you aren't reaping the same benefits as the muscle needs to rest in between and you are fresh for a new set and perform the exercise better. Any thoughts on that?

High volume is usually more beneficial to beginners, hard gainers, and endurance athletes. If you push your first set to failure in the right rep. range, there is no need to do another set of the exercise. I did high volume for a long time. I've put another ~16 -20 pounds of muscle on using single set to failure, reducing number of exercises, and increasing rest between workouts(currently 7-10 days). I have a feeling a few more lbs of muscle went on this winter. Won't know until I hit my normal summer leanness. If I go back to higher volumes and increased frequency, my muscle starts to atrophy.

A less intense weight lifting regimen is usually enough to mitigate sarcopenia(age related loss of muscle mass) which is a huge battle to win.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    I asked my trainer this question just yesterday. What she has me do is 8 minutes of cardio to warm up ad get my heart rate up at the start of my workout. Next, I do the weight machines and free weights. Lastly, I do about another 20-25 minutes of cardio. She said that if you do all your cardio first, it tires you and you're more likely to use bad form during strength training. You're also less likely to do as much weight or reps due to fatigue. She also said you don't get full benefit doing your set on one machine and then going to the next. For example, I'll do 12 reps on the leg press, get off and then do 12 on bicep, get off and do 12 on the adductor, etc and then start the circuit over after doing some stretching. She said that studies show if you do 3 sets of the same thing back to back to back, you aren't reaping the same benefits as the muscle needs to rest in between and you are fresh for a new set and perform the exercise better. Any thoughts on that?

I agree with the first part. I always do a 5-10 minute warmup. Lift. Then run for 20 or so.

But i dont agree with the circuit type training. I dont see any big guys doing this.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options

Of course I want all the fat gone but the more muscle I have the faster it burns. Seriously. I want to build muscle and I won't look like a body builder, I don't know why so many women are afraid of muscle. It's sexy as hell!!! But that's just my opinion. :)
  • bmontgomery87
    Options

Of course I want all the fat gone but the more muscle I have the faster it burns. Seriously. I want to build muscle and I won't look like a body builder, I don't know why so many women are afraid of muscle. It's sexy as hell!!! But that's just my opinion. :)

agreed. And it takes years to get the bodybuilder look.

Look up jamie eason.
    She lifts all the time, and is one of the most attractive women on the planet.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options

agreed. And it takes years to get the bodybuilder look.

Look up jamie eason.
    She lifts all the time, and is one of the most attractive women on the planet.

HOLY COW!! I just checked her out! YEP that's the look I want!!! lol I gotta ways to go but I'll get there or as close as I possilbly can!!
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This topic is HIGHLY debatable I was just doing some random forum searches and sure enough you can ask 10 people and it will be 10 different answers ( just like if you should eat your "workout calories")

There is scientific evidence that a "ideal" workout starts with a warm up get the heart rate elevated then do your strength training followed by cardio.

Cardio is EXTREMELY important in losing weight but can hurt those that want to bulk up so the correct answer is......

THERE ISN"t ONE..

Both are crucial for whatever results you want but you only get what you put into it so if you do half *kitten* cardio expect half *kitten* results same with strength training.

Not that my way works but it worked for me I split my cardio and strength training into 2 workouts

I did morning cardio usually alternating between HIIT and Distance jogging
    followed by
    afternoon/evening strength training with a light bike ride or stairs after workout nothing to intense but the more you workout the more you body can handle.

My results speak for themselves but they ARE my results everyone needs to create their own no one can do it but YOU!

Just my .02

Have a great weekend!