HRM recommendations...

Options
I am interested in getting a HRM(heart rate monitor) but since they are pricey i figured I would ask for feedback on which one I should invest in...I am not sure how stoked I am about wearing the chest strap...so if anyone has one that is accurate that doesnt use a strap that would be the one for me...let me know what one you love!!

thanks!

Replies

• julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The most accurate ones have chest straps. I have the Polar FT4 and the chest strap is fabric so I barely even notice it when I'm working out. It's great!! Search HRM suggestions in the forums. There are hundreds of topics!
  • ramius
    ramius Posts: 91
    Options
    I just got a polar RS300x and I love it -- it was about $150 -- the chest strap is confy and very accurate -- its got a lot of features that I don't even know how to access yet..
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am going to stalk this thread. I also would like to get a HRM and I am not interested in getting a chest strap.
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Bump
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Get a Polar with a chest strap. I went too cheap on my first one. It worked terrible. This one works Great!!!
  • GGut
    GGut Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I thought about a HRM for a little bit. But im way to poor. I've just been sticking with the two finger jammed im my juggular & watchmethod. Works for now and its super cheap!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I bought one without a strap and it was a piece of garbage, and 2 weeks later, I bought one with a strap. The one I have is the Polar FT4 and the strap is super comfy! I wouldn't waste on getting one without a strap!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    The most accurate ones have chest straps. I have the Polar FT4 and the chest strap is fabric so I barely even notice it when I'm working out. It's great!! Search HRM suggestions in the forums. There are hundreds of topics!

i second this.
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I just went through this process & opted for the Polar FT7...so far, I LOVE IT!
    I was apprehensive about the chest strap as well, but it's not at all annoying. I just keep it right around my bra line & I hardly notice it. I looked at some cheaper brands but the chest strap looked hard & plastic like. If you go without the chest strap, you give up some of the accuracy.
    I found mine on Amazon for $85. Keep an eye on eBay as well, maybe even craigslist for a bargain.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    check out: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/

lots of good info there.

Also once you find one you like you can then take that model # and shop around. CL is a great source
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I thought about a HRM for a little bit. But im way to poor. I've just been sticking with the two finger jammed im my juggular & watchmethod. Works for now and its super cheap!

Try Craig's List
  • onawho
    Options
    bump
  • sparky1514117
    sparky1514117 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started with a cheaper Sportline watch type HRM from walmart and was extremely disappointed with it, it was not accurate at all. Then I purchased another Sportline product this one had a chest strap, it gave me a constant reading. Which is way more accurate in determining the amount of caloties burned during exercise. After only three weeks the transmitter stopped working even after changing the battery it would not transmit to the watch portion. I did try and deal with support for my issue, and long story short I ended up purchasing a Polar FT4 and I am extatic with it. The chest transmitter is very comfortable and barely notice it is there. I highly reccomend the Polar products.
  • SueSee
    SueSee Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have an insurance com;pany at work that awards points for different healthy activities. I've saved enough points and just ordered the Polar FT7 for free! Only thing is I didn't get to choose a female one, so I'll probably get a male version. I had bought a New Balance one, but took it back. I couldn't get it to work.
  • onawho
    Options
    bump
  • zenchik115
    zenchik115 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    k...new question...when a post says "bump" what does that mean??
  • gingerOHsnap
    Options
    I have a New Balance with the chest strap, and I LOVE IT. The chest strap is comfortable, the watch is small enough to look good on my small wrist. It was only like $70 at Target.
  • zenchik115
    zenchik115 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    alright people...So I sprung for the Polar FT7...I am wearing it now and I cant wait to see how it does at my fitness bootcamp. I am excited to see how many calories I actually burn getting my butt kicked! I think I am even gonna wear it all day tomorrow to see how many calories i burn all day :)
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I like your goal of going skydiving for your first 20# loss......lots of fun!

My HRM comment is that I have NO success getting HRM to work when using wrist watches, or even the grips on a treadmill at the gym. My own treadmill came with a Polar T34 hard plastic chest strap and it will NOT hold on to my heart rate for any length of time at all, to the point that the cardio programs on the treadmill won't work since they need that data.
    I'd definitely love to try out one with a flexible fabric band.