lost weight but not sizes! :(

Options
Okay- i have cut down what have been eating. Most days I keep calories low, then evry few days I raise them to keep my body from going into starvation mode. This is my 3rd week. I lost some of the weight before the last 3 weeks. I have lost weight and my stomach is flatter, but I am still not fitting into pants any better! Anyone else having anything similar going on?

:frown: :grumble:

Replies

• kallio
    kallio Posts: 70
    Options
    Okay- i have cut down what have been eating. Most days I keep calories low, then evry few days I raise them to keep my body from going into starvation mode. This is my 3rd week. I lost some of the weight before the last 3 weeks. I have lost weight and my stomach is flatter, but I am still not fitting into pants any better! Anyone else having anything similar going on?

:frown: :grumble:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Not sure it's a good idea to diet like this, you have to have 1,200+ calories per day - 1,200 if not exercising, more if you exercise, or you'll only be losing muscle mass.

Try and make sure you eat properly and ensure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs.

Good luck and take care :flowerforyou:
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Are you a pear? That's me :huh: . So my legs will always (at least to my eyes) remain bigger than I'd want them to be, compared to my waist, say. If it's of any comfort, being a pear is healthier, at least from heart's point of view. To make our lives spicier, though, pears have it a harder time to lose weight, it seems.

Don't worry about it, some day soon your jeans will get loose. No need to get discouraged, as long as the weight comes off. Changes will happen :wink: .

Good luck and keep us posted :flowerforyou:
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how much weight you have lost.

it takes a loss of between 12-15lbs to drop a dress size.
    so if the difference between getting the clothes to fit, and how you were, is more than a dress size, it wont fit, yet until you have dropped enough weight to get to the size that the tight clothing is.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    take comfort in the fact you are not alone. That is exactly my issue too. I have lost weight, and am firming up, but my goal was for my pants to fit. After three months, not sure if they will ever fit again, but I keep trudging along. I have lost seven pounds since I started this marathon of hope and figure it must have all come off my waist and chest :) My pants are still too tight. I too am a pear, which I am sure I will appreciate when I am still alive at 80 :) I figure that I will reach my goal someday, just not as quickly as I first thought I could (damn this healthy way) When they say the less you have to lose, the longer it takes, they aren't kidding :) The up side which I try to concentrate on instead of the scale is, because it has taken this long and I continued to stick with it,, my eating habits and exercise habits truly have changed for the better.
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    When you exercise, you are burning fat. You are also tearing down old muscle and building new muscle. Muscle weighs more so its not showing on the scale. I love seeing the inches go because I know the weight is not far behind.

Keep up the good work.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    kallio - I know how you feel. It took me losing 20 pounds before I went down 1 size in pants. I think the less to lose the faster the sizes drop - or that was my logic anyway.

12 pounds has to feel good - keep up the good work!

Don't starve yourself and then eat more -I would guess that the times you are eating more that your body will store the extra.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Well my story is, I started in pants that were TIGHT.:embarassed: I mean spilling over the top, splitting the seams tight. I refused to buy a 16 so I wore the 14s with large shirts. It took me 15 pounds to go down a size. But once I did the next size came pretty fast.

Also, there is something physiogically with the exercise. I noticed that after 2 months of regular exercise,30 min x 3/4 times a week and strength training, it was like a light bulb went off in my body and it started to morph.

I have a really slow metabolism due to age and mentalpause(!!?) so only lose 1/2 pound a week. But still see differences in my body every week.

Youll get there, promise!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    ...it also depends on how you're built, I'm about 6' and i weigh about 160, and i wear a size 10 losely, but i can fit into most size 8. over the past few years my weight as ranged any where from 195-145 (the 145 was when I was sick in college, far too skinny for me, i looked like death). But my jeans never went below a size 8, even though I literally looked like skin and bones. Thats just my bone frame. Some of us will never be a smaller size, but hey, if you feel healthy and your body fat % is dropping, keep up the good work and dont worry about those silly labels and numbers! :smile: