New - Not really sure where to start

Options
Hey, I just joined mfp at the advice of a friend. I definitely need to lose (my goal is 105lbs to get me under 200), but I really don't know where to start. I don't even know what types of questions to ask. I don't want to do any of these "fad" diets, like the hcg or any pills you can get at Walmart. I'm looking for sensible lifestyle changes. For starters, I stopped drinking soda a month ago and lost 7lbs without trying. So next to go is chips, chocolate and other sweets. I know if I say "no more, ever" I'll want to cheat, so I figure it's a good idea to say on ONE day a week, I can pick 2 and have those as a bit of a reward. I'm also thinking about cutting out red meats and sticking with chicken and fish. Obviously lots more fruits and vegetables will be included. And I have a really good treadmill my grandmother gave me when my grandpa passed away. So what's a good expectation for working out for a serious beginner?

Any tips would be great. I'm also browsing through the other boards for tips and advice to use. I'm excited to really get started with this new diet. It's definitely WAY beyond time. Not to mention the fact that I suffer from infertility as a result. I have pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which causes weight problems, but is also worsened by it. It's a vicious cycle and it's definitely time for me to take control for my well being, and that of the family I hope to start in the next year or so. Anyone that has dealt with infertility knows how heartbreaking it is. It's one of the worst things you can go through. For me, it's almost worse than death. BUT I'm SO blessed that I have the ability to change that. Only I can make it go away. It's a daunting thought, but at the same time it's extremely empowering. When my dr told me she wouldn't help me until I lost 100lbs, I was upset for about half an hour. Until I realized that she just handed ME total control. I CAN DO THIS!! I look forward to getting to know everyone here and being able to reap the benefits of your support (and give mine in turn).

Sorry that was so long....got on a roll haha

Replies

• shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    You can totally do this! I started my new lifestyle change in Feb. of 2010 and I've lost 81 pounds!!! Think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet.

I definitely don't cut everything out... I still have diet soda... dark chocolate...but it's all in moderation. I recently cut out red meat and have noticed a small difference!!!

Just increase your fruits and veggies (raw) and watch your fat and sodium intake!!!

Good luck! :)
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have PCOS as well, and know your struggle with weight loss. It is definitely a vicious cycle. The symptoms of it are worsened by the weight gain & it gets more out of control. You will definitely find a lot of support & encouragement here. Feel free to add me if you like.

Best of luck to you! :smile:
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Hey, glad to have you here!! This is probably THE best website/community to join for weight loss/management. Most everyone is super nice, helpful, and motivating!

So I have to say great job on cutting out the soda! Also, cutting down on the other temptations the way you are doing is a great idea - it's always hard to go "cold turkey" with anything, and allowing yourself to still have those things in moderation is a good way to make sure you stick to your plan. You can make sure you budget calories for those items, so you can stay within your allowance but still eat the foods you love.

As far as tips go, starting small worked out for me. I also gave up soda (I was a Coke addict, lol), and joined a gym. Wouldn't have had to if I had a treadmill, but I don't, and it ended up working well. Anyway, when I first started, i would go 3 times a week, for 30-45 minutes. After a few weeks, I found that I was going more often, and for longer. I like to do cardio and some strength training. Another good thing to use is workout dvds, youtube, on demand videos or whatever else you can find that interests you. Changing up your routine every once in a while will keep your body guessing, and also keep you from getting bored to death, lol.

Good luck!!!
  • ccadartist
    ccadartist Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! This is a WONDERFUL site for support and information. There are many knowledgeable members here, too! To me it sounds like you are taking the right steps with nutrition and starting exercise. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. Diets don't last. Good luck with your goals and stay positive!:flowerforyou:
  • BetterJenny
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I'm feeling very positive about this place :)

And congratulations on your losses so far! To everyone, really. GO YOU!
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Great work on cutting the soda.

The best advice I was given by someone that maintained 200lb loss is cut down but not out.

Water is also your best friend in all this. If I don't get enough water I really don't make very good progress.

Workouts it really depends. I do 40 minutes a day Five days a week with light walking on days I'm not working out. I plan on going a bit longer soon.

Starting out I did 20 minutes five days a week and worked up from there.

And most importantly learn how your body works. What works for someone else won't work for everyone.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My tip is also to start small. Start just by completing your profile and logging everything you eat. Don't even worry about hitting your calorie goal at first, just start logging. Then add in a goal of say....eating 6 fruit and veggie servings a day....and then maybe 20 minutes of walking....THEN work on cutting back calories and hitting your goal. Like everyone has said it's a lifestyle change - to me the #1 important thing is eating healthy, the #2 is not going above or below your calorie goal by too much (+/- 200 calories is my goal), and #3 getting in the 30 minutes a day of cardio needed for good health.

I'm also one of those people that hasn't given up a thing. However, I know there are certain things I can't do --- like order a pizza, I have no control. But, I can go out for pizza with friends and eat the amount I pre-planned. Or I can make my own individual pizza. It's all about figuring out what works for you. We aren't robots so no two people have the same secrets for success.
  • BetterJenny
    Options
    I figure if I say I can have my "rewards" on Friday evenings while watching a movie with the hubby, I can be more active on the weekend when we have his boys anyways. Everything comes with a price, right? Haha!

As for workout dvds, I have a couple. I have an aerobics one. I used to do them in school and loved it, but I think it's a bit much to start atm lol. I have another called "Better Belly Yoga", which is definitely tough for a beginner, but it does feel good afterwards. I also found a site for bodyrocktv and it's ALL free. I forget the trainers name, but she has all different levels for full workouts, including absolute beginners. I need to get cracking on that. But I'm thinking for the time being (maybe the next month) I'll try to do the treadmill for 10-15 minutes a day, 4 or 5 days a week. Maybe even do that twice. Once I start getting used to it, I know I'll be able to go longer and more often. But right now I get winded going up the stairs. NOT proud of that, but no sense in lying to myself about it lol. I would eventually like to work myself up to the point where I can run for a full hour. It'll definitely be a process though
  • BetterJenny
    Options
    This is all excellent advice. I've also been told to drink an 8oz glass of water a few minutes before a meal, then cut smaller bites. The meal lasts a bit longer and you're more full a lot quicker.

My fridge I've had for the last 2 years has been HORRIBLE. I couldn't keep fruits and veggies because they would freeze within 24 hours. So I just stopped buying them. We just had a brand new fridge delivered today. I'm totally in love with it. Saturday we're going grocery shopping, so that's when my diet will "officially" start - when I'm totally stocked on healthy choices
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    you can do it!!!

I have PCOS too and 3 beautiful kids. I went from 237 to 180 and had baby #1 and then went back to healthy eating and got back down to 190 and had baby #2 on the way and then 5 years later had baby #3

Was up to 237 and then went back to 164 and fell off the wagon for a while and now am at 180 fighting those last 30 plus lbs to come off.

I tried the fads and they don't work, they make you feel terrible and then going back to real life makes you gain weight.
    A friend gave me her photocopied healthy plan from a nutritionalist she went to one time and we have found that it WORKS just by following the glycemic index and having about 30-45 carbs a meal and 15 carbs per snack.

Veggies don't count for carbs so you can load up if they are naked veggies or salads without heavy dressings.

Remember as a PCOSer we have to fight 4x harder to lose weight in comparison to a normal person.
    Also...don't drink your fruits...like oj or apple juice its a straight shot of sugar.
    Eat fats the healthy ones at least because when it says low fat or fat free they take out the fat and add in SUGAR!!

Hugs to you and small steps with everything in moderation even chocolate and if it fits into the planned meal, have it!
  • BetterJenny
    Options
    Thanks! You're totally right. We do have to fight way harder to lose anything at all, and even HARDER to KEEP it off. Luckily my dr tripled my metformin (from 500mg to 1500mg daily). It will help regulate the insulin resistance and help make it easier to lose the weight. I really feel like I have a lot pulling for me lately. I know I'll have my bummer days, but I know I'll make it! I WANT MY BABIES!!!!
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    I think the word DIET should be banned the 1st 3 letters are DIE
    a fitness plan or way of life makes it more positive and more permanent so even on days you blow it...like I do...it doesn't have to be a wait it out til Monday situation but a "when dinner rolls around" or "when lunch rolls around I am planning this healthy meal"

Believe me I have also had my share of trouble with fertility problems too even though I posted that I now have 3 beautiful kids. Anytime you need to talk or to get support and encouragement add me to you friend list.

ps I have some great tips and tricks and recipes for the things I crave that you might want as you get further into your journey
  • phat37
    phat37 Posts: 2
    Options
    This is my first time here, was preganat and gain weight now she is 9month now and i would like to lose the weight i have start to walk everyday and drink lot of water and eat fruit and vegetable but i need, because i don't get much time to workout but i tried to workout as much as i can
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    involve the baby in whatever you do....long walks now if the baby doesn't mind it...have a bottle and snacks ready for her and just go go go....because when the baby is a toddler you are chasing her and getting her into a stroller for a nice long walk if the furthest thing from her mind.....mall walking even if the weather is bad

some gyms offer free babysitting or reduced costs now that the weather is getting better they may sweeten the deal with a 1 month free to try and minimal babysitting of $2 an hour