Running without good running shoes?

Options
I'm trying to get into running, and I really love it. However, one day of giving it a shot and my ankles are killing me for several days after. It leaves me with only the elliptical until my ankles feel better. Could this be because I'm just wearing the tennis shoes I've had for yard work for years? I'm a college student, and I simply can't afford to pay much for shoes. Can I buy cheap tennis shoes and manage, or should I give up running?

Replies

• shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    studies have shown that its not about the shoes...its about what you feel comfortable in...and try to get your calcium and form in great shape too!
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Running def requires running shoes :o)
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    invest in your health and get a pair of good running shoes.

Make sure you get shoes that are right for your foot type.

A decent pair will cost you around $60 to $80
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I occasionally run barefoot. Except when I step on a big scary bee, that's when I get the fastest times.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If you can't spring for a propper fitting and good shoe, try Kohls. My Asics retail for $74.99, but after sales and discount coupons, I can usually get a pair for $40-$45.

If you do try to "fit" yourself, try on LOTS of shoes. Walk around and run in place with them. It originally took me about an hour to find one I was really happy with.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You need running shoes for sure. They also have a finite life. I can get ~ 400 miles from my shoes.

If you want to run, go to a running store and get fitted. Any extra $ spent will be $ saved in not seeing docs about your injuries.

Trust me on this, I've run over 16,000 miles in the last 8.5 years.
  • knantz
    knantz Posts: 68
    Options
    I have just started running myself in the past couple of weeks. I have always been elliptically minded. I decided if I was going to see the results I want to see, I'm gonna have to start doing something different because the elliptical wasn't cutting it. So I've been running (best Forrest Gump impression). At first, I was suffering minor shin splints and chalked it up to not being used to running and not stretching properly before beginning. I never stretched before doing my elliptical workouts. I took a treadmill break for a day and worked it out on the elliptical instead. As I am getting acclimated to the whole running (again with the Forrest Gump) thing and increasing my speed as well as the total minutes I am actually running (I can't help it, that's how it sounds in my head as I'm typing) during the cardio portion of my workout, I am now having excrutiating shin splints, calf muscle cramps, and ankle pains even though I am stretching well before starting. The pain was so bad today, I could have cried. And because of these pains, I have been having to alternate elliptical workouts or entire days off at times with the running workouts which I see as a step backwards and makes me really frustrated.

Like you, I'm running in the same shoes I've been wearing to work out in for years...some AVIA's I bought at Kohl's. I'm also sure they were discounted when I bought them, and that's why they were picked over all others. After my excruciatingly painful workout today, I made the decision that the AVIA's are going in the trash and I am getting a decent pair of running shoes. And since I will be grounded to the ellipticals for a few days while I recover, I will have time to do just that. Everyone on here has suggested I go to Fleet Feet or a running specialty store and get fitted for the right pair of shoes, so I will pass that advice on to you now. Good luck.
  • knantz
    Options
    You need running shoes for sure. They also have a finite life. I can get ~ 400 miles from my shoes.

If you want to run, go to a running store and get fitted. Any extra $ spent will be $ saved in not seeing docs about your injuries.

Trust me on this, I've run over 16,000 miles in the last 8.5 years.

While not trying to fit myself, I am just interested in opinions. What brand do you find you prefer? Just looking for a starting point. Is there any brand that you would recommend we stay away from?
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    knantz: Just to give you my opinion...I LOVE my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10s I got fitted for them at a running store and then bought them online (cheaper). I overpronate, so I need a stability shoe and this one feels like I am running on clouds! I have been running in them for about 12 weeks or so.
  • knantz
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback. All opinions are welcome here.
  • leafyq
    leafyq Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the fast replies, everyone. It's not about not wanting to invest. An $80 pair of shoes could easily feed myself and my boyfriend for two weeks, and we need that food. I think I will just stop running for now, as much as I hate it. Hopefully I can get some by pooling money around my birthday next month!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

While not trying to fit myself, I am just interested in opinions. What brand do you find you prefer? Just looking for a starting point. Is there any brand that you would recommend we stay away from?

I've been wearing Brooks Adrenaline for ages. Every couple years I go back to the running and try other shoes, but always end up in my Brooks. If you have a running store, be sure to go wearing running gear, as they will have you go outside and run in the various shoes to figure out what you like and don't like.

Once you find what you like, then you can by your next pair on-line for less $ (perhaps).

Good luck!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    80$ running shoes are nice... but it isn't always about the equipment. Right now I'm running in a pair of Nike I got on sale at Payless for 29$ I've had them for two months, which should be around 300 miles walked/ran. My feet have yet to turn inside out.
  • BetterJenny
    Options
    Has anyone tried these?

3866.jpg

I've been wondering if they're good for running. Like if they'll improve the ease at all?
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I'm trying to get into running, and I really love it. However, one day of giving it a shot and my ankles are killing me for several days after. It leaves me with only the elliptical until my ankles feel better. Could this be because I'm just wearing the tennis shoes I've had for yard work for years? I'm a college student, and I simply can't afford to pay much for shoes. Can I buy cheap tennis shoes and manage, or should I give up running?

If the soles of your feet are up to it you could try barefoot running and see how you ankles/feet feel then. You could also try using ankle supports and see how that goes.

My current shoes are Asics GT2030 which have been a great running shoe. They're due to be replaced though and I've been thinking of trying Mizuno. I've tried the Brooks Adrenaline but they gave me blisters on my arches (owch! :sad: ). I recently got orthotics (fitted by my physio) as I was getting bad shin splints down the insides of my shin/calf and these have been the best thing ever! I'm now running pain free :happy:
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Running shoes can actually be worse. My feet hurt so bad with my adidas running shoes. I got Merrell Barefoot shoes (they cost a pretty penny at 100.00 a pair) for me totally worth it. I would say if you are serious about running go to a specialty shoe store and have them check your feet. They can fit you to the shoes that are best for you.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Another thing. Make sure when you try your new shoes on to stand up and wiggle your big toe. When you do it sitting your foot isn't positioned correctly. You may need someone to help you. Because your feet swell when you run normally people get running shoes that are a half size to a siz bigger.

I saw a post of someone suggesting shapes shoes. You do not want to wear any form of toning shoes for running. That is a great way to get injured.

The reason why your ankles probably hurt is because tennis shoes really do not have any flexabilitywhich you need for running.