to work out or not to work out

Options
do you guys think its better to work out or just get rest if you are not feeling that great?? ive heard that its good to work out because it helps you feel better, but ive heard the same about rest. what do you guys think?

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Depends on how bad you're feeling. One time I was sick and continued to train. Took me weeks longer than normal to get better.
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It always makes me feel better.
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    I think it all depends on the person. I know if i'm not feeling good and I work out I feel like I've been hit with a Mack Truck afterwards. It gives me headaches and body aches horribly. But I've heard some people say just the opposite. So i think it just depends on how your body handles it. =)
  • carolrayes
    carolrayes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If it's a scheduled work out day for me, I work out.

You could promise yourself half a workout if you're still not feeling great part way through it but I think you'll find you will keep going once you start!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm exhausted from not getting enough sleep last night and drank too much coffee this AM to make up for it, so my tummy is not doing so well...when I feel like this, I don't have the energy to work out, but I know some people will say "push through it". I have heard it's not good to work out if you have upper respiratory issues though.
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    I think it depends on why you are feeling the way you are feeling. For instance, I didn't sleep well (at all) last night and I felt awful, tired, sluggish and so unmotivated to workout. The idea of layin on the couch taking a nap sounded so good. But I did get up and exercised and it took me longer to get the burn I wanted and I know I started out not putting a whole lot into it. However, if you are ill, like from a cold or the flu, I would say that rest is better for your body because it's doing it's own thing trying to fight off the illness. Taking a day to take care of yourself won't hurt you in the long run, unless you don't get back into it.
  • auhookd
    auhookd Posts: 1
    Options
    Hate to say it, but it all depends on why you aren't feeling great. If you are an allergy sufferer like me, a (indoor) workout helps. If it's actual illness, rest. If you aren't sure, start slowly and pay attention to how you feel. If you feel worse beyond usual startup pains, etc., it's time to take a day or 2 off to get better.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    if you are actually physically sick or have hurt yourself don't workout or if you do don't work as hard that way you aren't using the energy you need to get better. if you are just tierd and not feeling like exercising workout. the endorphans will make you feel high and happy.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What I have heard and what I practice is that when I don't feel well I do a modified workout. Instead of doing turbo jam or last chance workout, I walk with Leslie or walk on the treadmill at a lower level. I try to do a little longer, but at a whole lower level.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It depends on why I'm not feeling well. If I decide to start a workout when I'm not feeling well I always give myself permission to stop if it turns out it really wasn't a good idea. No sense pushing your body to burn energy it should be putting toward healing you. Only you know how your body is going to respond so if you do decide to try it. let yourself stop if you need to.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Lower intensity - maybe longer workout OR not at all. I learned the hard way not to push it when not well especially if it is cold/flu related.

I once continued to push while not well and ended up with mild Pleurisy & that hurts! and wiped me out for around 2-3 weeks.

Not worth it - save the energy for the bod to repair and then get back on track.