Plateau... or Maintenance???

Options
Ok, so i've been the same 140 +/- 3 pounds since July.... almost 10 months... Now, that'd be great... if i was at my goal weight... but i'm at least 10 pounds from there... It would also be okay if i was working out 2-3 times a week, eating normally, etc. Yes, of course, in 10 months, i've gone through a few lazy weeks like that... but the majority of the time, i'm working hard, i'm changing up workouts, i'm keeping calories around 1300-1400 NET...

Could this possible be my maintenance level?? I really don't feel i can go down to 1200... I'm doing INSANITY daily and it's a tough workout to do, especially without the right nutrition to back it up.

Now I have a plan: I've done month 1 of insanity, without any major change in weight or measurements. I did have a major increase in fitness though, but don't feel I can move on to month 2 yet... so i'm repeating Month 1, and I'm adding running 3-4 times a week during this month. Then i'll move onto Month 2.

Does anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom for me? I'd love to say that i'm okay with it, and the 30 pounds I've already lost is great... but honestly, i'm frustrated. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I have recently started losing again by adding more protein and less sugar. It is so annoying because I work hard too. I see so many people that aren't as desciplined and they maintain their weight.
  • strattard
    Options
    From being a former Weight Watcher leader your body gets bored with the same old same old!! It is telling you "give me something different"!! Find something that you have not had in awhile, could be cake, could be a candy bar but something different should jump start your body into a new pattern. I usually do it every couple of weeks, at times I am only going down a pound at a time but at least it is in the right direction. Judge by your cloths how are they fitting??? Find that new goal, a new dress, pants etc and tell your self "I WILL FIT INTO YOU".. Look at times when you may be hungry as opposed to times before, your body is telling you it needs a change so it could be a different mix of the food.... Breakfast for dinner? Lunch for brreakfast?? More fruits and veg, less veg less fruit??? Your body is talking you just need to decipher what it is saying.:smile:
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. Been 140+\- for several months. My original goal was 145, so I am actually happy at 140. I also think that I have added significant lean body mass with regular cardio and strength training. It sound like you too are conscientious about exercise. Do you think that maybe our body fat percentage is low, and our bodies are saying "hey, I got no more to give here".
  • apilant
    apilant Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I thought I was reading something I had written. I too have been stuck at 142 +/- 2 lbs for about 10 months. I started at 175 and desperately want to make it to125. I did the first month of Insanity as well and knew I was no where near ready for month two. I am currently trying the two week Special K challenge to see if I can at least make it into the 130's range. I downloaded the c25k app for my phone and i'm really hoping that running will help me finally reach my goal! :blushing:
  • lblocker23
    Options
    finally some ladies in the same position as me!! I've been stuck at 132-137 since August!! I work my *kitten* off almost daily and never eat more than 1500 calories unless its a special occasion! I dont drink, I dont go out to eat with my friends and let me tell you that being in college and not being able to enjoy myself is not fun! especially when all this work isnt paying off!!!!! ok im done, end rant. but just know your not the only one!! one day we will hit that 125-130 mark!!
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Working hard doesn't do the trick!Working smart does!!

I wont say this will work for sure...but i think its worth giving a try..i looked at your dairy..

i went down from 190 to 160 in 3 months flat...then i was stuck there for the next 4 months...i finally managed to break the plateau and reached my healthy BMI.

some of the things i did
    from 190 to 160: daily workout of 1200 calories(700-800 in the gym and the rest of it in playing tennis/squash) and intake of 1000 calories. i really didnt switch excercises,no strenght training etc in this period, jus kept my carbs intake very low.

160-150:
    Month 1,2: added strength training no change
    month 3,4.:gave up chocolate and desserts, i did go down 2 pounds but bumped up again..

I made friends with a body builder in the gym.i can say he really helped me crack that
    HE made me try all the following options..i did see the change..
    I ate rice/bread/pasta only twice a week.(wasnt easy trust me im from india and our staple food is rice)
    and ate around 1300 calories with the carbs: protien: fat ratio: was always 50:40:10-i made sure this never changed except for one weekend where i allowed myself a little chocolate shake or a donut(about 400 calories).
    rotated my workouts: monday-run,tuesday: elliptical,wednesday:spinning,thursday:stair stepper,friday:Brisk walk-all in the gym, burnt about 700 calories each day
    and then my saturdays were game days-that would be playing badminton/tennis/basket ball/aerobics/yoga-dont worry about calories
    sunday was off.
    I did weight training every day- but a different kind of circuit each day- for just 10-15 minutes.

If you notice the trend here- its all about confusing your body,you are absolutely fit,but probably you are not doing something right for your body to be at that right weight.

These will add.
    1.Working out first thing in the morning after you wake up
    2.Working out in the open air- warmer temperatures keep up your metabolism high
    3.keep switching your workouts.
    4.NO CANNED FOOD,NO READY TO EAT MEALS,KEEP AWAY EVERYTHING THAT HAS PRESERVATIVE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN- i know this might kind really crazy for you guys...but being a person from india where we always have fresh food from the farmers...i changed back to this when i hit that plateau,the preservatives only help store toxins in your bodies.
    5.Take multivitamin and fish oil supplements everyday.
    6.Prefer playing outdoor sports to workouts- because sport really gives you body that confusion-take tennis-you keep running, you stop, you hit hard, you hit slow, you run back, you run sidewards-all in one single hour-isnt that enough confusion for the body?
    7.Also dancing-Zumba,aerobics kinda things..
    8.you can try adding bikram yoga once or twice a week-you will feel you will die in your first class-but youll start loving it,trust me,ive not known a fit woman who quit this.
    9.You will not need to keep your carbs so low, but yeah you do have to go down than what you are consuming now,also the sugars.
    10.SLEEP FOR ATLEAST 7 HOURS A DAY.KEEP YOUR MOOD HAPPY,stress gives a signal to store fat.

Just keep experimenting each of these ideas for a week, i promise you will see a change.Good luck.
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. Been 140+\- for several months. My original goal was 145, so I am actually happy at 140. I also think that I have added significant lean body mass with regular cardio and strength training. It sound like you too are conscientious about exercise. Do you think that maybe our body fat percentage is low, and our bodies are saying "hey, I got no more to give here".

Congrats on reaching your goal!! I wish the low body fat % was true, but i still have a very good amount of belly fat. last i had it checked, my BF% was around 23. Which is pretty high. I know that I have added lean mass, i'm only 5'5" so i'm really trying to hit 125.
    I thought I was reading something I had written. I too have been stuck at 142 +/- 2 lbs for about 10 months. I started at 175 and desperately want to make it to125. I did the first month of Insanity as well and knew I was no where near ready for month two. I am currently trying the two week Special K challenge to see if I can at least make it into the 130's range. I downloaded the c25k app for my phone and i'm really hoping that running will help me finally reach my goal! :blushing:

yea i just started Month One of Insanity for the second time... I've seen amazing Fit Test results, but I haven't seen much change in my weight or measurements. I'm not giving up yet, I love how Shaun T pushes me and I'm hoping that by adding a decent run 2-3 times a week will help jump start something.
    finally some ladies in the same position as me!! I've been stuck at 132-137 since August!! I work my *kitten* off almost daily and never eat more than 1500 calories unless its a special occasion! I dont drink, I dont go out to eat with my friends and let me tell you that being in college and not being able to enjoy myself is not fun! especially when all this work isnt paying off!!!!! ok im done, end rant. but just know your not the only one!! one day we will hit that 125-130 mark!!

I feel your pain.. i'm in graduate school, so the school work makes it hard sometimes.. i'm more worried about summer coming up and with all the graduation parties (finally in my last semester!!) and two weddings i have (+bridal showers and bachelorette parties), I'm worried I wont be able to balance the having fun with the watching what i eat/drink.. .that's why i want to get down to my goal weight before all of that happens! plus, i mean, it's beach season, of course I wanna look better!