stability ball wonders

Options
GGut
GGut Posts: 94 Member
So I've been strength training with various pieces of equipment in my basement for a while now. Down there, among other things, I have a medium sized stability ball. Until recently I only used it for back extensions and crunches. Last week, however, I used it for dumbell flys. I found that while working my chest like normal dumbell flys on a bench... I was also working my abs. I woke up the next day and I had that good sore feeling that reminds you that you were working out.

Anyway... I was wondering how you guys incorporate a stability ball in your work outs?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Yup. Same things you do. It's awesome. I threw out the desk chair too, the ball keeps me from slouching and I get to bounce like an idiot.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Yup. Same things you do. It's awesome. I threw out the desk chair too, the ball keeps me from slouching and I get to bounce like an idiot.

they use them in school for kids that can't sit still in their desk...my nephew gets to sit on a ball and bounce...and as long as he doesn't get goofy and out of control, he gets to keep it. Sadly I'm still using mine for crunches...I can't figure out how to keep it inflated...I pump it up but maybe i'm not fast enough putting the stopper in because when I sit on it, it's like a bean bag chair lol
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I started using it for most of my ab and arm exercises. I like that it makes me feel like I'm doing a little bit extra with each move. Here's a site I got some ideas from: http://www.fitlink.com/exercises?type=stability+ball&body_part=arms
  • Shannon7713
    Shannon7713 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    they use them in school for kids that can't sit still in their desk...my nephew gets to sit on a ball and bounce...and as long as he doesn't get goofy and out of control, he gets to keep it. Sadly I'm still using mine for crunches...I can't figure out how to keep it inflated...I pump it up but maybe i'm not fast enough putting the stopper in because when I sit on it, it's like a bean bag chair lol
    [/quote]

Wow that is a awesome idea. My 5 yr old could use that LOL.
    I have been wanting to get one for myself, but I know there are different sizes, not sure what I should get. Id hate to get on it and it cant support my wgt and it pops, LOL!
  • Shannon7713
    Shannon7713 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ oops....i was trying to quote that top part, lol
  • KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use mine for al kinds of stuff. you can also use them for lower ab work. you're not actually sitting on the ball, but you re holding it with your feetwhile you do leg lifts, it forces you to engage more of your muscles.
  • luv_lite_laftr
    luv_lite_laftr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    my ball came with a basic workout video and a wall chart that you can reference. I sit on mine instead of a chair for my desk at home- if only I could get the boss to get them for us at work!!