sodium

Options
How much sodium should I be consuming? I realized I don't actually pay attention to sodium content, I've only been worrying about calories, carbs, fat, and protein.

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    the daily allowance used to be 2500 mg, I think it was just lowered to 1500 though
  • bigmommy2011
    Options
    I think it is 2,500
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You can go in and change your settings to where it will show up on your diary. I have a hard time with sodium too.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It's 2500. I struggle to keep it at that.
  • bunnyb11
    bunnyb11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    my food and calorie tracker say 2500 sodium calories a day. But im not sure it is the same for everyone.

Good luck on your journey!!!!
  • fitnezrox
    fitnezrox Posts: 41
    Options
    Ideally you should try and stay within 1500mg per day. Also tracking your sugars helps, as both of these can't stall weight loss. Just go to your food diary and add in sodium and sugar from your settings......you just might be surprised how much of each you consume in a day!

Have a happy and healthy night
    Kim
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    mfp allows 2500mg a day, but i try to stay under 1500mg... you can add sodium to ur food diary, so you can keep track of it!! good luck
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Its best to not exceed 1500mg. MFP has it set way too high at 2500mg!
  • daniellejg
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I went in and added sodium and holy cow! Today I went over on my sodium by 855mg! That is a crazy amount! I think I shall keep an eye on that now as well :)
  • nannyciriaco
    Options
    I really struggle with my sodium too...I just don't know how to get it under control...there has to be some technique to staying within the aloowable sodium, but I am with most of you and I think even the 2500 it soo much, but I have some material from a nutricanist and I will check and see what she says....Oh, wait a minute pyramid.gov I think will also tell you...just looked it up and they say no more than 2300