Protein Powder Recipe HELP???

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
I have a huge tub of this stuff from Hi-Health: Garden of Life® Vegan R∆W PROTEIN Powder

I bought a tiny drink blender but I have no idea what to do with this stuff. I've googled dozens of recipes and they all taste groty.

What are some of your favorite ways to incorporate protein powder without feeling like you're eating a scoop of dirt? :laugh:

I REALLY need more protein in my diet. Thx for any input!!! :heart:

Replies

• BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I always add 1% milk, a banana, and Peanut butter to my whey protien powder, and it usually tastes really good.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I mix it in my smoothie with a frozen banana, berries, peanut butter, yogurt and skim milk. I also dissolve it in my boiling water when I make oatmeal before I add the oats. I tried stirring it directly into Greek yogurt but eww.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    try adding it to a fruit smoothie :0) I just use greek yogurt in my smoothies cuz greek yogurt is PACKED with protein!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I add sugar free pudding mix or jello mix to my vanilla powder to get loads of different flavors!
  • frugal2
    frugal2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Definitely try non-fat greek yogurt for protein instead of powder if you don't like the powder. Greek yogurt is PACKED with protein and it's creamy.
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Is it flavored?
    Strawberry/Vanilla
    add
    fresh fruit or some kind of berry yogurt
    banana
    soy/almond (vanilla is really sweet) or NF milk
    ice
    blend and enjoy!
    My BF always comments on how yummy they are compared to his. But that is because he is taking his powder, putting it in water and drinking it. Blech!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I'm a huge greek yogurt fan so I can definitely do that. I just wonder if I will ever actually use this powder. XD

Thx for the recipes, so far!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I add sugar free pudding mix or jello mix to my vanilla powder to get loads of different flavors!

As in, you make Jell-O with the powder in it?

I might just need a different protein powder. This stuff tastes like grass. XD
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Lol, yeah, I was reading the ingredients, and while they sound healthy, they don't exactly sound like a yummy combination. For days when I want to supplement I use a plain whey protein powder. It has a vaguely milky taste, though less sweet, and is almost undetectable in a fruit smoothie. Though I usually just add it to a cup of skim milk and it's fine.

To use up the one you have, with it's more grassy flavor, you might try adding it to savory things like soups or quiches instead of sweet things like fruits.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options

As in, you make Jell-O with the powder in it?

I might just need a different protein powder. This stuff tastes like grass. XD

Nope, I drink it a a beverage. 2 scoops of protein powder, some of the pudding powder mix, add water and shake. Drink up. The Jello needs refrigeration to set.

Also, get a couple blender balls. They are the best protein powder mixers on earth! ;)
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    I usually add 1 cup milk (1%) and 1/2 - 3/4 cup ice - makes it like a milkshake. Sometimes I add a fruit or two, depends on what I have on hand at the time. The fruit is usually about 1/4 cup or so.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I am so glad I asked. You guys are smarties! :)

@Tree72: I think you're right! Great advice to use it in savory stuff.

@ Flyntggr: Ah, Jell-O as pure flavor. Genius!

Thx, all around! And keep those recipes coming if anyone else has more. :D
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I bought the VEGA vegan protein powder and it was pretty drinkable on it's own, not great, but ok.....ALOT of them, are not okay, and it might be hard to make them palatable. If you've tried fruit, nut butters, yogurt, almond milk, and they still taste gross, it might not work..... :-(
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have some plain hemp powder that I mix with one ripe banana, 300ml of soy milk, and, if I can afford the fat and calories, some peanut butter, and/or flaxseeds. It tastes okay. Not fantastic, but downable, and quite filling.