Easy foods to make when you don't cook?

Options
Hi I'm new, it's challenging to figure out what to eat when you don't cook : / I just do the simple stuff, mac&cheese, grill fish, and pastas. Anything easier would help a lot!:smile:

Replies

• babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new, it's challenging to figure out what to eat when you don't cook : / I just do the simple stuff, mac&cheese, grill fish, and pastas. Anything easier would help a lot!:smile:
    [/quote)

salads with tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper, red peppers and orange peppers, fruit salad.. scrambled egg on weight watcher's bread with light margarine, just to name a few...
  • susyseq
    susyseq Posts: 94
    Options
    Thank you!!!!!
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    What better time than now to start cooking!! :)

There's tons of soups (Campbell's Select Harvest Light) that are easy & quick to whip up. There's frozen meals, like Smart Ones, too. But, you have to watch the sodium on those.

Tuna melts on Double-Fiber wheat bread...that's pretty simple. (only mix mustard in with tuna - no mayo). Egg salad made with mustard & dill pickle relish....lots of protein and easy on calories.

Fruits. Raw veggies. Light string chese. Refried beans with reduced fat shredded cheese and hot sauce.

You can always buy the cooked rotisserie chickens - remove the skin and eat the meat.

Romaine lettuce leaves with mustard and sliced turkey deli meat.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    If you can grill fish you have cooking skills *I* don't have, lol. I used to cook a lot but now that my kids are grown and gone I'm over it. I'd rather exercise!

Here are some quick and easy favorites of mine:

Green Giant or other brand steam in the bag veggies. There are all kinds and they're really quick and easy. My faves are the Green Giant "Antioxidant Blend", "Healthy Vision", and "Healthy Weight" but there are lots of options. I mix them with a bit of chicken, pork, soy burgers, or tuna. Bumble Bee makes a really nice lemon pepper albacore tuna steak in a single serve packet that goes well with the veggies.

Lately I've taken to cooking up some meats and rice on weekend day once in awhile, then I put individual servings in snack size ziplock bags and freeze them. I can grab whatever meat I want and a bag of the frozen veggies on my way to work and have a low-cal, low *sodium* lunch with a few minutes of microwave. It also reduces my exposure to the possibly toxic chemicals in the plastic packaging of commercial frozen foods because I can heat all this stuff in a glass or ceramic bowl.

Salads aren't too hard either. I go through salad phases now and then =)
  • bbauer148
    Options
    I work a lot and when I'm not working I'm going to the gym, so I don't have a lot of time for cooking so I'm in the same boat as you.

I've learned to love sandwiches on 100% whole grain bread, soups, veggies and fruits, oatmeal, parfaits (yogurt & granola with some berries).

Or if I do cook something, I'll cook in bulk. For example, tomorrow is my night off at the gym, so I'm going to make a few servings of chicken so that I can keep in the fridge and now I have a meal to heat up this week.
  • sabrinamary
    Options
    It's hard to "cook" for one person sometimes...especially when you work all day, are tired...etc. I'm a HUGE egg white fan. Egg white omlets are easy and fast....even if they turn more into a scramble :) Throw in some mushrooms, onions, peppers, turkey...anything to your hearts content
    One of my personal favorites may sound strange but is amazing. I boil a few eggs, using only the egg whites, cut them and put them on 2 slices of toasted whole wheat bread with a little bit of low fat smoked salmon philley cream cheese and a reduced fat swiss (or any other reduced fat cheese). Little bit of pepper on top and done.
    Flaked Tuna mixed with a bit of hummus, red onion and dill pickes on toast or rice thins is also really yummy!
  • kartunes
    kartunes Posts: 46
    Options
    Salad, Sandwiches, Stir-fry vegetables with your choice of meat. Those are all pretty easy to make.
    Or Choose a meat to grill/fry and serve plenty of vegetables on the side.
  • susyseq
    susyseq Posts: 94
    Options
    Wow so many great choices thank you!

I do the sandwiches thing almost every week! but I get tired of it and want something with a spice! That's why I'll end up at fatty mexican restaurants...
    and eggs, If I buy one pack they go bad cause it's only my husband and I. We eat basics, and yes I love the Smart Ones meals, I eat them all the time!
    @enigmatica you're funny :P

Thank you for all the great choices again :happy: