I need to know what to eat :/

Options
I hear all the time you have to eat healthy, I get it that part but what should I eat ?
I have 3 small kids and a husband who I dont think want to eat salad 24/7 and either do.

What are some healthy foods i can eat, im on a 1200 calorie count but I cant seem to find "healthy" food to cover that, Pretty much im lost and dont know where to start. It feels like I dont have the time to make me healthy meals 3 times a day and than figure out what i can snack on while cooking for my family.

What do you make for breakfast,lunch,dinner, snacks? Do you make it every meal or once a week and freeze it?

Im not the worlds best cook and sorry if this sounds like a silly quesion, but if i cant pass the eating healthy part im screwed!

Replies

• eouimet
    eouimet Posts: 29
    Options
    There are a lot of ways to make the dishes you cook all the time healthier and filling that your family will like!! cut out white flour, you can make delicious whole wheat lasagna, vegetarian chili, homemade chicken noodle, and fruity desserts that wont ruin your diet and your family will enjoy! as an added bonus your whole family will become more healthy
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Crockpot food is pretty easy to make. There are tons of threads in here with recipes. Toss in some frozen chicken and a few cans of whatever (beans, soup, tomatoes, etc). Set it on high for a few hours and it is done.

For easier stuff, I eat a lot of sandwiches, pre-made salad kits (careful with salad dressings-hidden calories), greek yogurt and canned soups.

When I'm feeling ambitious I'll bake some chicken or fry up fajitas.

Hope that helps. I found it easiest to work on portion control first and than work my way to healthier foods.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Usually for breakfast I have one or a combination of scrambled eggs, greek yogurt with fruit, peanut butter toast, cheese, special k with red berries, kashi go lean, cheerios. My son eats at school, my daughter is 1 so she usually has greek yogurt with fruit, peanut butter toast or kashi blueberry waffles with fruit. My boyfriend takes granola bars and fruit. For lunch I usually have soup, salad or a sandwhich. For dinner I usually make grilled chicken breast or thighs with a vegetable or salad. We mostly eat chicken and pork loin or chops. I will occasionally buy ribeye steaks. Tonight for dinner I browned 4 chicken breasts in a pan and added 2 cans of organic diced tomatoes, 5 cloves of garlic and a cup of chopped fresh basil. Served it over brown rice with corn on the cob for the fam and steamed frozen green beans for myself. I make pita pizza's on the weekends and make big pots of chili with ground turkey or lentils.

Hope that helps a little!
  • gingermim
    gingermim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Take a small peice of meat/chicken and then fill your plate with veggies...cooked or raw make them fill 2/3 of your plate...try not to add salt to your food or sauces/butter. Your children will learn to like veggies and will learn good eating habits from watching you eat right not by watching you snack on food as they eat a nice meal.
    Get yourself on hungry girl.com for some nice recipes that fit well into your eating plan. You can do this just make up your mind and put yourself first.
  • hsnider29
    Options
    You could check out skinnygirl.com for some traditional foods that she has modified to be lower cal and lower fat that your family might enjoy.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    A good way to start out and not feel overwhelmed is to simply eat what you've been eating but cut back the portion sizes. Then you can move on to dropping out the empty carbs (packaged foods, cookies, candies etc.) and begin to add in a bit more green veggies to your meals. Then perhaps when you've gotten your family used to some fun salads (add fruit to green salads and they are very tasty! Plus you don't have to eat salad 24/7, honest!)

Drinking more water than you've been drinking will help, preplanning meals does help a lot so you can wake up and know what's for breakfast and not stress over it. Same with lunch if you pack your lunch, yes many on here have shared they cook up dinners over the weekend. If you make a variety and then freeze in containers to heat up later that will take care of dinners so you don't have to rush around while start out with all these changes.

Keep it simple starting out or it can overwhelming, trust me I was where you were once and had no clue where to begin but I eased into it and that makes it much easier on everyone in the family.

Snacks can be anything from string cheese, sliced apples, raw almonds, raisins, a nice carb/fat/protein combination works well for each meal.

The new sodium guidelines have recently been changed to 1500mg per day so I've set my sodium intake to that and rarely get anywhere near it. It does help cooking at home and not buying frozen meals etc., they have tons of sodium in them and some are very in fat with little protein.

Well I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information but wanted to share something.

Welcome & enjoy the ride!:wink::drinker:

EDIT: Yes the Crockpot threads (recipe section) as well as the recipe section in general you'll likely find some very simple recipes to start out. The Crockpot meals you really can't mess up as they cook on their own.:wink:

You'll get the hang of it, keep watching the thread as ideas are shared and you'll begin finding all sorts of fun new ways to create meals your family will love! Healthy food doesn't have to taste like diet food (rabbit food:laugh: )
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I can't give you exact foods as I am Diabetic and I have different food needs. Though to figure out where to start? I took all the foods I normally eat and I found ways to make them on a healthier level. This way I wasn't having to be so drastic in my eating. As you get use to this you can then be a little more strict in what you end up eating.
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    there are some awesome websites with healthy recipes[just google and they will pop up] and you can pretty much tweek just about anything that most people eat and make a healthy version. i have just about anything i want to eat but choose healthier ingredients and cut or replace the bad things. i cook all major time consuming meals on Sunday and then i have no excuse to have to stop for convience. we have ground turkey in place of ground beef....whole wheat pastas- brown rice-skim milk-fat free cheeses-lots of fresh fruits and vegies....you get the idea.
    hope this was some help....good luck on your journey!

kathy
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Soup is great. I love the Bear Creek mixes, add some chicken or beef. Low cal, but does have sodium. Soup is my go to when I want something quick and fairly low cal.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com also has great ideas. I have a Weigh Watchers cookbook from when I did it a few years ago and I get a lot of meals from there. I love black bean burgers (lowcaloriecooking.com) with sweet potatoe fries. We also make chicken tacos with reduced sodium pinto beans, and stir fry with Iron Chef orange ginger sauce (only 100 mg of sodium).
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Look @ my diary. www.bettycrocker.com is AWESOME. I have 1400 calories, but I am sure that you can get the idea.
  • hsnider29
    Options
    One more thing and I will stop posting, lol!

I made the switch from white flour, bread, rice, etc to brown rice, whole wheat bread and flour, quinoa and at first my family was very reluctant but now we eat it and don't think twice about it. I still have a hard time getting my daughter to eat veggies but she eats plenty of fruit and protein. The point I'm trying to make is that you may not care for certain healthier foods at first but keep eating them and your sure to replace them with their unhealthier counterparts. Good luck, I know how hard it is to get started especially when you have a young family.
  • cjengel
    cjengel Posts: 21
    Options
    For breakfast, I prebag oatmeal. Little ziploc baggies, I pop in 1/2 cup of quick cook oats, a tablespoon each of wheat germ and ground flaxseed, and cinnamon to taste. Keep it in the fridge. Throw it in a pot in the morning with a cup of boiling water and you have a super healthy breakfast really quick. Check out the cooking threads on here, they have really great ideas. Also, if you're just getting into this, don't worry! Take it in steps. I agree with the person who suggested to work on portion sizes first, then healthy foods. 1200 calories is really low, hard for a beginner. Don't punish yourself, no need to start in the deep end. Wade in slowly. I don't eat 1200 calories, I stick to about 1500. :) Good luck!
  • Paigealicious77
    Paigealicious77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating "healthy" things as well. My husband can eat whatever he wants and whatever time and doesn't bother him. My son needs all the extra calories he can get he has always been little sooo yes I feel ya it's tough. Also, I have never ate very healthy before, but I have trained myself a little. I work 12 hour shifts and have a typical day like this: breakfast: oatmel, banana, boiled egg. lunch: lean cuisine, yogurt: yo crunch greek yogurt. dinner: whatever I can make somewhat healthy for me and my fam like whole wheat spaghetti noodles +sauce+ and meat, chicken chilli, baked chicken breast, baked potatos, green beans. whole wheat lasagna, whole wheat rice> and most of the time my hubby doesn't even notice the whole wheat if I don't tell him! and finally I have got him to eat honey wheat bread and 2 % milk. You can find all kinds of great recipes online! For snacks I like natures valley peanut crunch bars, nuts, yogurt, celery or carrots and ranch, nutella, apples. Morning star makes some awesome veggie burgers that are way better than you would ever think!
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    One more thing and I will stop posting, lol!

I made the switch from white flour, bread, rice, etc to brown rice, whole wheat bread and flour, quinoa and at first my family was very reluctant but now we eat it and don't think twice about it. I still have a hard time getting my daughter to eat veggies but she eats plenty of fruit and protein. The point I'm trying to make is that you may not care for certain healthier foods at first but keep eating them and your sure to replace them with their unhealthier counterparts. Good luck, I know how hard it is to get started especially when you have a young family.
    I heard quinoa is a good choice for diabetics. What exactly do you eat it as though?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of ways to adjust to this. Here are some of the things that worked for me...

Start with the cooking. Eliminate anything fried and move towards a healthier approach like grilling, and steaming.

Next thing I'd do is look for those hidden calories. Start shopping labels. Look for lower calorie products ( i.e. Kraft light italian (30 cal's per tblspn) vs Great Value Light Italian (7 calories per tblspn), milk vs cream, Low fat Frozen Yogurt vs Ice Cream)

Look to whole grain foods instead of gummy white processed flour products. They taste great and are filling for longer.

Most people are pleasantly surprised at how little they actually do have to give up if they look at the labels... comparison shop.

The next thing to look at is portions. I used to sit down and have a 16 ounce porterhouse, and fries and shove the garnish( aka veggies) off the side of the plate. It took me a while to realize that a portion of meat is about the size of a deck of cards, and to eat the veggies.

Veggies should account for at least half of your dinner plate. A third should be starches and the remainder is lean meats.
  • jensmith79
    jensmith79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have fun! Look at recipes and turn them low cal. If it calls for whole fat milk use low or nonfat things like that. Unfortunately this does not work with cheesecake that well. Experiment it's not worth it if your bored, it will not work. I have eggs for breakfast pretty boring but it gets my day started. I always carry some sort of snack with me I enjoy the "Think Thin bars" or a piece of fruit. I make dinner the meal I sit down and enjoy with my family. 1200 calories is hard to start but once you get past the first few days it's much easier. Tonight we had a green salad and Carne Asada that I marinated in a homemade teriaki sauce. I weighed my steak had 6 ounces and was full. Yes bread is my weakness so I make sure to have one piece of sourdough with one meal a week. Oh I try to shop twice a week so I can break it up. Not sure if this helped or was not. Good luck with your goals.
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    Thanks for all the adive! For now since im into working out more, Ill just try and make my portions smaller but eat more vegis & fruit.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I posted this for anyone else also looking for 1200 calorie per day menu ideas:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/212141-1200-calorie-menus
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you want to introduce non-salad eaters to salad, you might try butter lettuce. It comes in green and red; I buy the mixed Fresh Express Butter Lettuce blend. My family, who don't care for salad, went WILD for it. My ten-year-old declared that if I would always make salads with butter lettuce, she would always eat them.

It doesn't solve all of your problems, but it might be one easy way to introduce more vegetables into the family diet. And "trying new things" is very much part of a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck!