End of the day and under cals what's your go to food...

Options
angp7711
angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
This has only happened to me once and had me thinking. I don't really have a plan for when it does. I wasnt hungry at all. I found myself kinda wandering around the pantry (I have a big pantry, lol) looking for something to eat. Not a good place to be. I had 250 calories left and ended up with a isopure protein shake with 1/3c milk (I usually just use water) and then a TB organic peanut butter on a spoon (or so yummy). I have to be really careful with PB though because it is a trigger food for me.

I try to really limit any white stuff (flour, sugar, rice ect) I focus on proteins and try not to have more than one grain a day. They are trigger foods for me and only leave me hungry especially if not paired with a good protein source.

TIA
Ang

Replies

• christina_michelle
    Options
    i was going to say 100 cal popcorn...I get the kettlecorn but it looks like you don't want carbs :(

So maybe have a jello free pudding cup?! They are delicious! ( they have carbs too but less)

or maybe just always have a salad in the refrigerator ready to go?
  • jenhasit
    jenhasit Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yogurt. And I toss it in the freezer for 10 minutes to make it more like ice cream. Yum!
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    For me it depends why I am under my calorie count. If it is under the recommended 1,200 definitely eat something. You want to keep your body out of starvation mode. If you are already over that number then I normally don't eat them. I save the "extra excerise" calories for days when I go over by a few points here and there. I find it gives me a little wiggle room on those days that I really need that extra snack.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I usually do a small granny smith apple and/or a wheel of mini baby bell cheese... it's ok to be under some days. So long as it's not every single day.
  • aml17
    aml17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Emerald cocoa roast almonds.. 150 calories for 1/4 cup. It's not a strong chocolate flavor, but very subtle and enough to satisfy my chocolate craving I always seem to have!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If its the end of your day, you dont want carbs.

I go for anything non-carb like, haha. generally a protein shake(mine has bugger all carbs). mixed with water (milk is full of carbs - great for post workout, not so great for pre-bed!)

Cottage cheese is a big favourite amongst MFP'ers! i've noticed.

Peanut butter on a spoon is also another one i go for. It tastes like crap...IMO, lol. But pretty easy to smash 15g.
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If I have extra calories I will usually have a small bowl of frozen yogurt or light ice cream to reach my goal. But I really like an end of day treat so I make sure I have enough left to have some a few days a week.
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    That's when I always go for nuts. I was under a ton today (feeling sick, that's always the case) so I went for the kirkland wholesome frit and nuts 2.5 oz package, 340c, 0 sodium. I like the idea of putting yogurt in the freezer, yum! I even have 50 cal yogurt for when I'm only a wee bit under.
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i am so glade that u asked this, i have done this a couple times and am not sure what to eat. i always seem to go way overwhen i try to make up difference..
  • jovie929
    jovie929 Posts: 20
    Options
    My FAVORITE favorite snack food is air-popped popcorn, sprinkled with greek seasoning and butter with the 0 cal spray butter. Super low cal, you pick how little or how much popcorn you make, and super satisfying! Nothing makes me happier than seeing I have some extra food calories left over and I can break out the popcorn bowl. :D
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Power Crunch bar. 200-210 calories, depending on the flavor and only 10 carbs with13-15 grams of protein. They're super light wafer cookies so they don't feel heavy in your stomach late at night.

Slice of Chompie's Carbs Not bread with either some PB2. (or a small bit of Country Crock if I don't want to add any more carbs).

20 grams of roasted, unsalted almonds.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My go to?

Protein shake. The stuff I've been scarfing down is getting switched out with something better within a few days. 25g of protein, no sugar, and really low carbs. With milk, it's and easy way to add the calories. Also, if I'm having to take it later in the evening, it's usually following a workout...like I just finished.

Also, I use some of the things others have mentioned. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese (low fat, low sodium) and peanut butter. I choose whatever depending on what I can fit into my diet. I need more fats? PB. I am too close on fat? The cottage cheese.
  • Jayshelle416
    Options
    i either freeze boston creme pie yogurt (or any flavor) cut up a banana (or any fruit you like) and dive. lol yogurt tastes like ice-cream thats yummy. If i dont have that I go to greek yogurt (plain) and cut up cucumbers (if you like dill add that there with a touch of honey) that is to DIE for.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Almonds, yogurt or fruit if I have the carbs left, cubed chicken or cucumbers if I don't.