starvation mode

Options
how quickly does it take a person to enter starvation mode? my calorie intake is 1390 at the minute and my weight lose isnt doing too well.

Replies

• wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi

Here's an article that I posted last week about this. Read it as its really informative and makes so much sense

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/208407-how-to-repair-a-damaged-metabolism-stavation-mode
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, how much exercise are you doing? Sometimes I eat more, like over 1600 cals (see tonight) because I am just "hungry". One trick I've been doing is eating 1/4 cup of Dorset Muesli (is that 25 grams there? It's about 100 cals) & 1/2 cup of non fat milk (about 45 cals) and it keeps me filled up, non-hungry and I eat it whenever I need energy or for snacks - see my diary.

If you're "feeling hungry" because you're a guy and 1390 is not a lot of cals for a male, then try eating a bit more, especially if you do an intense workout. I find that SM sets in when I am not eating enough....and I love Dorset Muesli (it's from the UK, from Dorset). It's Muesli without added sugars.
  • janesmith1
    Options
    Wait 16 kg = 35 lbs? You started in January too, like me...you're doing great, actually, but be careful of the SM thing....don't let yourself get too hungry...
  • sdoherty1000
    sdoherty1000 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i exercise a minimum of 3 times a week. I was wondering if being on 1390 cals has entered me into sm as the recommended daily allowance is 1500.
  • pinksoldier
    Options
    your food diary kicks *kitten* actually. your fat/protein/carb intake is right on for weight loss. maybe switch up your exercise more?? do something new, something different. just a suggestion! good luck!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat your exercise calories back....at least a good portion of them, even if it seems like a lot of food to you, do it. You gotta add fuel to the fire or it goes out. Read the post the wingchunrick posted. Also search "exercise calories" or "plateau" on here for other posts about those topics. A lot has been written on here about those topics. However, the amount of weight you have lost is great! Remember, it takes us a long time to put on the weight. It is going to take us some time to get it to come off. Hang in there and be patient with yourself.

Angela
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    the old eat back your calories again :wink:

may I suggest you go and speak to a Doctor, get some 'real' advice, remember people on here only give their opinion

Good Luck

stu
  • janesmith1
    Options
    How many cals are you burning with your exercise?
  • sdoherty1000
    Options
    i always make sure my net calories are at 1100-1300 so thats not a factor.

Thursday - 1217 net
    wednesday - 1350 net
    tuesday - 1234
    monday - 1110
  • sdoherty1000
    Options
    How many cals are you burning with your exercise?

i burn 1000 each visit
  • Timebound
    Timebound Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't have the time to actively defend this claim (sorry), but "starvation mode" is one of the most repeated myths of dieting today. You go into "starvation mode" when your body has used up its stores of fat. That's it.

A metabolic decrease does not happen until 60-72 hours without any food at all. In fact, the opposite is actually true: your metabolism temporarily goes up when you completely abstain from food! From an evolutionary standpoint, it makes perfect sense. The increase in metabolism makes you more alert so you can go "hunt for your food," but the effect is temporary. And it wouldn't be very evolutionary advantageous if our bodies started eating muscle and actually starving to death if we accidentally skipped breakfast.

Starvation mode is when your body starts eating its own muscle and vital organs to survive... even the bones! As long as you have a single ounce of fat on your body, you will never hit it. If you stop eating all together for more than 72 hours, well... then you'll experience a gradual decrease in your metabolism.

My example is a bit extreme, but I intermittently fast every other day. Last year I lost sixty pounds, and when I stopped the IF pattern because of work constraints I only gained five pounds. I've kept the rest of it off for a year, eating normally. (Intermittent fasting is so not recommended for everyone though, and I'll admit, it was tough. I like food, lol.). The point is that I never hit starvation mode, I ate A LOT on the days that I ate, and I still lost weight like crazy. I easily ate 150% of my normal caloric needs on the every other day that I ate (and I'm a dancer, so that was a lot of calories), and if you consider the calorie deficit of the days I didn't eat, I should have only had about a 25% a day average deficit. If I'd hit some kind of metabolic decrease wall from the 24-36 hour spent without any calories at all, I never would have lost a pound. Not only did I lose it, I kept it off for a year now without having to fast or bust my tail to maintain it. I just did what I always did (again, I am a dancer, so your mileage may vary on the same plan).

But please don't take my word for it. If you want hard evidence and links to various scientific abstracts (ones done in recent years, not the old stuff from the 60s and 80s that everyone continues to cite), look at this:

The Top Ten Dieting Myths Debunked (scroll down to #4 to address the "starvation mode" thing)
    http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Fasted Training

Like I said, fasting is an extreme example of what you're talking about, but the studies cited here should bring some peace of mind to you. Unless you stop eating for days on end, your body will not suddenly bottom out it's metabolism. It's a myth that's been repeated so often that people just assume it's true.

I never would have believed it if I hadn't experienced it myself.

EDIT: After rereading this, I realized it sounded like one gigantic advertisement for fasting for weight loss. That was not exactly what I meant. I was just trying to illustrate an extreme example to show that the body's metabolism doesn't decrease as soon or as sharply as its commonly believed. If it did, I'd be bigger than when I started!

Also, there's an interesting book called the "Up Day/Down Day Diet' by Dr. James Johnson, who doesn't advocate fasting, but it sheds some interesting light on calorie restriction on an every-other-day basis and how the body actually reacts to it, citing various studies. HINT: You don't go into starvation mode, nor does your metabolism nosedive.
  • sdoherty1000
    Options
    thanks people for the comments.