Oh no, not again!

Options
My hubby just emailed me from work - he & his colleagues have been given the whole week off next week - and it looks like one of the store guys is gonig to be laid off ! :noway:

I've just told my works I'm able to work more hours next week, looks like I'll be doing 60+ hours, so...if you guys don't see me posting - you know why - luv to all, hope recession not effecting too badly :ohwell:

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    My hubby just emailed me from work - he & his colleagues have been given the whole week off next week - and it looks like one of the store guys is gonig to be laid off ! :noway:

I've just told my works I'm able to work more hours next week, looks like I'll be doing 60+ hours, so...if you guys don't see me posting - you know why - luv to all, hope recession not effecting too badly :ohwell:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    this recession is so hard i know

so sorry to hear that, look after yourself next week :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    my husband got the axe this morning.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options

OMG Marla. what are you going to do?
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Type my fool head off-- I have a home transcribing job which is full time as of this morning-- :smile:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

I know exactly how you are feeling, sweetie. My husband was fired three weeks ago, and we're starting to feel the pinch. :flowerforyou:
  • ACastle1
    ACastle1 Posts: 101
    Options
    What a scary time it is right now. I hope that things start looking up for everyone.
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think everyone right now is having the hardest times of their lives. I just hope that it does gett better before it gets any worse. I know I am scared that they might close the doors on us and I know that we can't do it with one income at all. I have thought about picking up another job but there are not that many out in the area at all. I just keep saying it has to get better. I keep my fingers crossed that my husband doesn't lose his job. I think then i would have to go into the nut house.

Keep you guys in my thoughts. Try to have a Happy Halloween!!!!!

:heart: Molly
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    It's really hitting hard, and they reckon on BBSNews24 that we're in it for at least a year!

My heart goes out to those of you who have already lost jobs, and those of us waiting to find out - its sooooo hard to kep up spirits when everything is about to crumble.

I keep thinking - what have I done, just signed up for membership with the gym, yet things are about to get real tight, but, I have to do this for myself - sounds a bit selfish when I say it like that, but I'm only paying £19 ($38 approx I think) per month so it's nothing that will break the bank - yet !!!!

I just hope I'm worrying for nothing, but his works have NEVER asked them to take so much time off in one go before. maybe the odd day or 2, but a whole week :noway: it's unheard of!

Here's to us finding a way out of the rut and keeping on track :drinker:
    Take care guys - I'm thinking of you all :flowerforyou:
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I think everyone, no matter where you live is feeling the same pinch. I know we have 3 incomes in our home and are rarely making ends meet right now. Sometimes it makes me feel a little guilty because we are struggling so much and I started buying healthier foods instead alot of pre-packaged, convenience foods (like hamburger helper for example, which we use to have at least once a week lol) and its showing in the weekly grocery bill!:noway:

I just have to keep reminding myself that Im actually doing it for the good of us all, not JUST myself.

Good luck to us all at trying to keep on track!:drinker:

~Roni
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    the economy is horrible right now- Bills arent getting paid- People have to prioritize what is important and what is a neccessity- I didnt sign up for my kickboxing classes because it was an extra expense.
    We want to save but can't its so sad- food is expensive even the less healthy stuff, gas is high, people are losing there jobs its insane.. Hopefully things get better soon but it doesnt look like thats gonna happen
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Only seems to be getting worse, not sure how we will come out the side - let alone when!
    I think because it's a global recession, it's gonna take a long long time to get to grips with.
    There was a news report the other day - the cost of oil has gone down, which is great :drinker: but, it's gonna take a few months before the price of groceries goes down :grumble:

there are 3 incomes in my household, but it doesn't help when you know one of those is about to be flushed down the pan. I know my job is safe at present, my son's job is also safe at the moment, just keeping my fingers and toes crossed that they stay that way.

I joined the gym the other day - before I found out about my hubby's job situation, but same as he said, it's not a lot of money each month, so I'll keep it up - at least for now, hopefully I can continue, but if not, then I'll cross bridge when I get to it.

Good luck to everyone in keeping on track :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    cyberswitch:flowerforyou:

Yes, please DO NOT give up gaining your health back by giving up the gym! If I recall your gym membership through work is only $15 is that correct? I believe that's what you shared. You are SO worth more than that:smooched:

Everyone else:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart:

In the big scheme of things guys...gaining our health back, keeping good health, losing the excess weight/keep it off is a HUGE priority in our lives it will be cheaper in the long run & the short run.

It truly needs to stay that way... this is NOT about us being extravegant this is about us FINALLY taking time out for US....this is about us eating the healthiest we can, using fitness as a means of staying well, emotionally, physcically, and our mental well-being. Let alone teaching our families, loved ones, co-workers about health & keeping a positive attitude...we are giving far more than any of us realize by having changed our life styles!!:drinker:

We are real life examples of what proper health is....:flowerforyou:

Future/current costs of medical bills, medicines,etc. cost far more than what we our spending now for our health now.

Trust me when I say....I DO KNOW money is rough all around...but I merely wanted to post and help us to ALL keep in mind we are WORTH it!

To keep this from turning into a book (oops..to late..sorry gang!) Noni? Don't you go buying hamburger helper because it appears to be cheaper!:laugh: WWheat noodles, toss some goodies in it...you got hamburger helper without a box, and you won't be carrying around the hamburger helper on your hips!:laugh:

Read one of Marla's more recent posts on her food budget and how much she provide for the entire family on a low amount. IT CAN BE DONE.....yes, the extras like eating out etc. won't be there but...really, I'm so much more enjoying crockpot meals and cooking at home than digging up a taco bell nutrition guide.

If Marla can do it with her big ole brood of lil Marla's (oh and um, Mr. Marla too!)....we can find a way to keep our chin up and realize we're all going to make it.

We don't always know what's around the corner....we never have and we never will....but if we all hang in together....we shall succeed at this healthy lifestyle.

IT wil be what gets us through the job losses, the scary times ...because we know that we are taking control of OUR LIVES some for the first time EVER.

Ok, that's all I got ...and any of you that have read this far....get a free flower & a big ole hug....just check back with me and I'll be passing them out later!:smooched: To you all!
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    I pay £19 per month for my membership, at my local gym, I don't get it through work, but I do go to the gym between shifts at work.
    I'm not giving up the gym, just meant that I'd said to my hubby that if I'd known beforehand, I wouldn't have gone through with it until we knew what was happening, I'm glad that I did it before we found out. I'm not going to give it up now - been through too much to get where I am today, not going to backslide just because of finances, that's partly why I'm doing extra hours at work :wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I pay £19 per month for my membership, at my local gym, I don't get it through work, but I do go to the gym between shifts at work.
    I'm not giving up the gym, just meant that I'd said to my hubby that if I'd known beforehand, I wouldn't have gone through with it until we knew what was happening, I'm glad that I did it before we found out. I'm not going to give it up now - been through too much to get where I am today, not going to backslide just because of finances, that's partly why I'm doing extra hours at work :wink:
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    cyberswitch:flowerforyou:

Yes, please DO NOT give up gaining your health back by giving up the gym! If I recall your gym membership through work is only $15 is that correct? I believe that's what you shared. You are SO worth more than that:smooched:

Everyone else:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart:

In the big scheme of things guys...gaining our health back, keeping good health, losing the excess weight/keep it off is a HUGE priority in our lives it will be cheaper in the long run & the short run.

It truly needs to stay that way... this is NOT about us being extravegant this is about us FINALLY taking time out for US....this is about us eating the healthiest we can, using fitness as a means of staying well, emotionally, physcically, and our mental well-being. Let alone teaching our families, loved ones, co-workers about health & keeping a positive attitude...we are giving far more than any of us realize by having changed our life styles!!:drinker:

We are real life examples of what proper health is....:flowerforyou:

Future/current costs of medical bills, medicines,etc. cost far more than what we our spending now for our health now.

Trust me when I say....I DO KNOW money is rough all around...but I merely wanted to post and help us to ALL keep in mind we are WORTH it!

To keep this from turning into a book (oops..to late..sorry gang!) Noni? Don't you go buying hamburger helper because it appears to be cheaper!:laugh: WWheat noodles, toss some goodies in it...you got hamburger helper without a box, and you won't be carrying around the hamburger helper on your hips!:laugh:

Read one of Marla's more recent posts on her food budget and how much she provide for the entire family on a low amount. IT CAN BE DONE.....yes, the extras like eating out etc. won't be there but...really, I'm so much more enjoying crockpot meals and cooking at home than digging up a taco bell nutrition guide.

If Marla can do it with her big ole brood of lil Marla's (oh and um, Mr. Marla too!)....we can find a way to keep our chin up and realize we're all going to make it.

We don't always know what's around the corner....we never have and we never will....but if we all hang in together....we shall succeed at this healthy lifestyle.

IT wil be what gets us through the job losses, the scary times ...because we know that we are taking control of OUR LIVES some for the first time EVER.

Ok, that's all I got ...and any of you that have read this far....get a free flower & a big ole hug....just check back with me and I'll be passing them out later!:smooched: To you all!

Mine is $15 a month through work, but if Ed's out of work too much longer, I might consider stopping it for awhile and doing something alternatively.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Oh Russia...that's right! You got the work discount membership deal.... my mistake...I knew someone had recently shared their deal on here:drinker:
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    My eldest son just told me that he may be redundant at the end of this month :cry:
    If my hubby's job does go bust, mine will be the only income - no way we can survive on that !
    But...and I'm going to shout this....I WILL NOT GIVE UP THE GYM, I refuse to give in and let the economy dictate to me, I'd rather by supermarket's own brand food and have candlelight instead of electric lighting than give up my gym membership, I'm looknig forward to my nect stint at the gym tomorrow :happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    jeez.........who needs halloween to be horrified!

My buds right here are living in terror of the next step. I am so sorry for those who have lost, and/or might lose their jobs. My prayer is that GOD will provide an even BETTER job in the near future.

As for the gym dues. I figured it out and I save at least $200 a month on carry out. Now grant you we ate out more than the normal family, but even if you used to order 1 large pizzas 2 times a month you are saving at least $50 in food, right?

That and the co-pays for my cholesterol medicines is saving us $300 a month! Wow....I am glad I wrote that down. :heart: jeannie
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    jeez.........who needs halloween to be horrified!

My buds right here are living in terror of the next step. I am so sorry for those who have lost, and/or might lose their jobs. My prayer is that GOD will provide an even BETTER job in the near future.

As for the gym dues. I figured it out and I save at least $200 a month on carry out. Now grant you we ate out more than the normal family, but even if you used to order 1 large pizzas 2 times a month you are saving at least $50 in food, right?

That and the co-pays for my cholesterol medicines is saving us $300 a month! Wow....I am glad I wrote that down. :heart: jeannie

Blimmie Jeannie that's a great saving, I don't pay for my medication either - as I'm a diabetic, all my medication is free - thanks to the NHS :happy: I dread to think how much money I'd be spending each month otherwise :noway: