BMR & Settings Question??

Options
Ok when I select my BMR and Settings, At 1st I checked the one that said Sedentary because i work from home and i sit on my butt all day long but I do exercise every day. With that being said, with those settings I was to eat 1400 calories a day.
I read on a post that even if i sit on my butt all day and I exercise that I should set it at Light Activity which makes my Calories to eat 1580.
Which one should I set it at?? I have been on a diet for a month and I have only lost 4 pounds but I have also lost inches. I want to see the scale move as well. I am getting discouraged. Can someone give me some advice please. My diary is open if you would like to view it. ANy feedback is appreciated,
Thanks

Replies

• Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Anyone......
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If you have a job where you sit all day (as I do), then set it to sedentary. Add your actual exercise in to add calories for your exercise. Unfortunately, you actually burn less calories doing bursts of exercise than you do if you are in constant movement (although light movement) all day.

Remember, MFP will add your exercise calories in to your daily total. So, if you burn 200 calories walking at 3.5 mph for 45 minutes and your normal calorie goal is 1300 --- for that day, your calorie goal would switch to 1500 calories. But, if you don't get any exercise in the next day, it goes back down to 1300.
  • Cinlan
    Cinlan Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm not sure about that calculator either. I'm in a weight management program at work & your progress sounds reasonable according to those measurements.

It's discouraging when the scale doesn't fall as fast as we want it to. Remind yourself how much time it took to get from your goal weight to your current weight and perhaps allow yourself that much time to lose it back to your goal weight. Example: I was last at my goal weight around 1981. I'm not working 30 yrs to lose 150 lbs, (Lord, I hope not) It took me only 7 yrs to gain 50 lbs. We wil just stick it out together. Keep going!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Ok so I need to change it back then to Sedentary which is 1400 calories a day and then I get the extra when I exercise.
    Thats what I had it set at but after reading some posts on here it sounded like I needed to set it on Light Activity because I exercise everyday. I sit all day and get up and move to go to the RR etc. I just want to make sure I am eating the correct calories so I can lose weight.
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I understand completely! Ihave been doing this since January and only down 6 pounds, which I am happy about, but not quite satisfied.

I was actually just thinking about upping calories by about 10% to see if that will promote a change. I also work from home and sit all day. I am set at sedentary and 1200 calories, and I add in my exercise calories daily. I do try to get in some of physical activity every day and recently increased the length of my workouts, but still no change.

Add me as a friend if you want and we can share things we find that works!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Ok I just changed my settings back to Sedentary and it gives me 1400 Calories a day before exercise Calories. I can see im losing inches but have no idea why the scale is not moving anymore, so discouraging. If anyone can look at my diary and give me feedback that would be great. I also had a total abdominal hysterectomy on Jan 3rd so I am 3 months post-op and I think most of my sweling has gone away too and I feel good.
    Thanks

Forty3fab I will add you, Thanks :)
  • lerchfighter
    Options
    Tizzz,

I would do a little honest evaluation of your program. If you're doing the kind of work out where you're really pushing it (i.e. aggressive weights and cardio program), then the higher calorie count is probably the way to go. If your exercise consists of walking or something of that intensity, go with the lower count.

You mentioned that you've only lost 4 lbs but have also lost inches. If you're losing inches and not losing much weight (remember that 4 lbs x 12 months is 36 lbs.......pretty darn good in my book), you're adding muscle which will eventually increase your at rest calorie burn, keep your metabolism up and shape your body in the direction that keeps you motivated.

As a rule, I only weigh once a week and take body measurements every 90 days. Mentally, I try to stay in the marathon and not the sprint mode. If you lose 36 lbs this year and drop inches where you want, I'd say you've had a great 12 months. If this is truly a lifestyle change, then view it as a life pursuit. You're doing great.

Uncle Ted
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Lerchfighter,

When I exercise I try to change things up, I have been using my Treadmill,Gazelle Rider and using my Leslie Sansone walking dvd's and doing 3miles a day. I also do Crunches, Knee lifts, etc. I am thinking about joining a gym so I can use machines 2 days a week and see if that helps. I work out at least 30 mins or more at a time and because my office were I work out stays warm from the sun I sweat like crazy and I also use a Neoprene belt to also help me sweat more and tighten my tummy.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Is my math off or doesn't 4 pounds in a month mean 1 pound a week? That's the recommendation for healthy weight loss, so maybe it's just some perspective that should be tweaked. You're doing great.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    I agree at the 1 pound a month, just seems slow to me.
  • lerchfighter
    Options
    Based on your work out schedule and the fact you're losing pounds and inches, I'd go with the higher caloric setting in MFP. One thing you might try out is an eating system that spreadloads your calories over the course of the day. This way, you keep the metabolism up. I know it's an overused analogy, but the campfire is a great way to look at it. Do you want to throw a huge log on a set of smoldering embers and watch it smoke and never really burn; or do you want to keep an already hot fire going by continually throwing smaller twigs and branches into the flame. I like the ABS Diet and the Body for Life programs. They're both very similar but the ABS is more straightforward and, what I like, gives you a selection of so called "Power Foods" that you can snack on/meal on throughout the day, fill yourself up and help with the fat burn/muscle building program. It's not in the American psyche to eat throughout the day as we're told it's bad. The reality is that more, smaller and healthier meals is the way to go. Once your metabolism adjusts to this approach to eating (my experience was 6-7 weeks with me and my friends/family) you start shedding fat pounds at a very high rate while maintaining muscle mass.

Be warned, the ABS diet is directed towards men but it's got a ton of great information that is not gender specific. Also, it's not really a diet but more of an eating system. You can pick it up in paperback for about $8 at any bookstore.

As the previous post suggests, a consistent one pound per week is really healthy, great progress and, more importantly, sustainable in the long run. People who lose 30 lbs in two months almost always gain it back. People who modify their lifestyles and lose 30 lbs over a year are much more likely to keep it off while still moving in a weightloss direction if they still need to.

Keep it up. Sounds to me like you're doing all of the right things. Patience is the only thing you need to focus on as the rest is right on track.

Uncle Ted