Best Time of Day to Weigh in?

Options
Hey everyone,
I'm just wondering what is the best time of day to weigh yourself? I know our weight fluctuates throughout the day, and can get confusing. So what's the most accurate? I usually do it first thing in the morning, but I notice if I wait until the afternoon, I go up a little bit. I just want to make sure I'm recording the most accurate weight.

Replies

• Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    In my experience, it doesn't matter what time of the day you do it, just as long as it's the same time every time. that should even out the fluctuations throughout the day =)
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I do mine the first thing n the morning, after my morning constitution and before I drink any water.
  • llwade
    llwade Posts: 1
    Options
    I weigh in first thing in the morning, before I step in the shower or have eaten anything...and then I always get the best results! :wink:
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I've always been told the best time is immediately upon wakening while still in an overnight fasted state.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    When you get up and after you go to the bathroom. Best to do naked too. I've actually taken a shower and washed my hair and gained a pound. Maybe the water in my hair?
  • b_alanna
    b_alanna Posts: 15
    Options
    first thing in the morning you weigh less. and you gain gain gain all the way until the night. then you lose it while you sleep lol. i would say the morning because thats when you weigh with out all the food and water. say you drink alot of water one day and that night you weigh your self its discouraging to be 2 pounds heavier then the night before just because of some water lol.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It is all accurate because your weight is going to flucuate throughout the day. What is important is that you pick a time and consistantly weigh at that time so you can compare. I weigh first thing in the morning, after I've gone to the bathroom, before I exercise. Usually I am wearing my workout clothes. good luck on your journey!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it doesn't matter what time of the day you do it, just as long as it's the same time every time. that should even out the fluctuations throughout the day =)

Ditto this!
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    first thing in the morning, after peeing, with no clothes on. Otherwise, you're weighing your clothing and all the food/water you've consumed throughout the day. Just don't freak out when you go to a dr. appt somethine in the afternoon and are fully dressed and their scale shows a number that is higher! =) You just have to remember that it's weighing clothing, food, etc!
  • candacecollins
    Options
    In the nude 1st thing in the morning after u use the restroom, that is your truest weight, all ur meals during the day add 1.5-2 pounds to your weigh, well with me anyways...hope this helps. :)
  • karenyg
    karenyg Posts: 79
    Options
    I weigh in first thing in the morning, I have found that is the best time to check my weight.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    As long as you consistently can weigh at the same time of day that you choose, that is what counts. You will see how much you are losing that way.
  • dmmsquared
    Options

Ditto this!

Ditto again!
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    First thing in the morning after a visit to the loo in the nuddy once a week.... My chosen day is a Friday morning, before the weekend and this gives me enough time to repair the damage afterwards too :smile:
  • crankyrobot
    crankyrobot Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Glad to know I've been doing it right all along :bigsmile:
  • megganwinland
    Options
    usually first thing in the morning after the bathroom.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was always told that you weigh yourself first thing in the morning as soon as you get up and after you use the bathroom and that is when you will weigh your lowest.

It's true that your weight will go up and down through the day based on what you have eaten, water gain, and even your clothing.

I saw on Doctor Oz's show that he basically said the exact same thing. He stressed that you weigh yourself first thing as soon as you get up,and use the bathroom as you will weigh your lightest in the morning.

He also said that the best time to exercise is 5 minutes after you get up and weigh yourself as you are burning calories from all different parts of your body and you are burning fat immediately. If you eat breakfast (or lunch, etc.) first and then exercise, you have to burn through what food you have eaten before you can burn fat.
  • MotherofDREAMS
    Options
    It is all accurate because your weight is going to flucuate throughout the day. What is important is that you pick a time and consistantly weigh at that time so you can compare. I weigh first thing in the morning, after I've gone to the bathroom, before I exercise. Usually I am wearing my workout clothes. good luck on your journey!
    Another DITTO here!!
  • crankyrobot
    crankyrobot Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    He also said that the best time to exercise is 5 minutes after you get up and weigh yourself as you are burning calories from all different parts of your body and you are burning fat immediately. If you eat breakfast (or lunch, etc.) first and then exercise, you have to burn through what food you have eaten before you can burn fat.

Wow! I didn't know that last part, thanks!