Bittersweet

Options
I've noticed that I am not losing weight as fast as I was when I was not exercising, but eating right. Now that I am exercising and eating right, my body is changing tremendously (for the better), but not dropping pounds. How can I get both results (lose weight and muscle definition)?

Replies

• teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    anxious to read posts.. ihave clothes fitting differently but 6 months to lose 5 pounds??????
  • GNelly
    GNelly Posts: 2
    Options
    Much of what I heard regarding this is that when work out you gain muscle and muscle weights more than fat. Hence, you may see an increase or not that much of a decrease on the scale because you are turning that fat into muscle. That is why they recommend that you measure yourself and keep track of inches lost. I've read that sometimes that is a better indication of weight loss and your progress than the scale. Additionally, as I've found out the scale can be a tricky thing. It can go up and down many times daily based on what you ate that day, how much water you drank, if that time of the month is rolling up (u know we can retain some water during that time). I think maybe you shouldn't stress too much. I'm learning that weight loss is a journey sometimes you'll be on full speed other times in cruise control and other times you'll hit bumps in the road. The idea is never to stop and ride through the storms. That's what I'm learning.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    You will...Let your body catch up. You are building muscle. Did you take measurements before? The scale number isnt what its about. the scale is only a tool that helps you track progress. Keep using it is important but also know that measurments are more important

Woohoo My 500th post
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm not sure how to reply to this.....but here goes.
    If you are feeling and looking better, don't worry so much about what the scale says. I know that is hard sometimes, but you know how you feel, and you are being successful. That, combined with a knowledge that weight loss slows as you get nearer your goal, is what you need to keep in mind.
    I've lost and kept of over 60 pounds in the last five years, but this summer my 20-year-old daughter is going to try to help me tone. I've never been toned, so this could be quite a challenge. Combine that with a C-section and hysterectomy, and I have no stomach muscles. We shall see how that goes.
    The only suggestion I would have is to make sure that you are mixing up your workouts between cardio and strength training. The cardio will help you drop weight, and the weight training (and I don't necessarily mean lifting weights -- you can do a lot of strength/weight training just using your body as resistance) will help you tone your muscles.
    Good luck...if you get any really good ideas or find something that works really well, please post :smile:
    Kaye
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    Much of what I heard regarding this is that when work out you gain muscle and muscle weights more than fat. Hence, you may see an increase or not that much of a decrease on the scale because you are turning that fat into muscle. That is why they recommend that you measure yourself and keep track of inches lost. I've read that sometimes that is a better indication of weight loss and your progress than the scale. Additionally, as I've found out the scale can be a tricky thing. It can go up and down many times daily based on what you ate that day, how much water you drank, if that time of the month is rolling up (u know we can retain some water during that time). I think maybe you shouldn't stress too much. I'm learning that weight loss is a journey sometimes you'll be on full speed other times in cruise control and other times you'll hit bumps in the road. The idea is never to stop and ride through the storms. That's what I'm learning.

Muscle doesnt weigh more than fat. A pounf of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. But muscle is much more dense. So a pound of muscle takes up much less space...so even though you weigh the same you look different.
    5lbsFATvs5lbsMUSCLE.jpg
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you have just started working out, it's probably because you have built muscle but instead that your muscles are holding water. Making sure you are drinking plenty of water.
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thank you all
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about the scale if you are noticing the difference in your shape. I will take a 2 inch drop in my waist over a 2 lb loss any day of the week. I was having the same problem and got really frustrated. Then one day my husband said to me (unperempted), "I don't what the scale is saying, but I really notice you are getting you figure back." That to me, is more important then anything the scale can tell me. With that said, track you measurements, I think you will find on the weeks there isn't much of a weight loss there are inches gone. Seeing those numbers go down will help to keep you motivated.
  • 1RareJewel
    Options
    My BF said he doesn't want a hard body woman, I need to take it easy...lol! I love it.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Simple fact: Muscle is denser than fat. If you are gaining muscle and staying the same weight then you are loosing fat - and THAT should be your objective, NOT loosing weight.

Look at it another way - if you had no fat and you started working out your objective would be to gain weight.

I suggest you ignore the scales for a few weeks and replace them with a tape measure.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    My BF said he doesn't want a hard body woman, I need to take it easy...lol! I love it.

Uhh Ignore him...You wont get really big. Its a very common misconception that women have. Your not going to bulk up and look like a female version of Arnold. It takes a huge amount of work (more then Men) and careful diet to build muscle up like that. Weight training is extremely important for women. It will tone you up and make you look fit and healthy. Womens bodies just aren't made to bulk up like that. It is possible but it would have to be deliberate and would take a considerable amount of work to get there
  • 1RareJewel
    Options
    thanks