Medical NSV

Options
Celo24
Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
I've actually been meaning to post this for a while, but kept forgetting so I'm finally getting around to it. In December 2010, one of the triggers for me starting to exercise and lose weight was a visit to the doctor. I have a family history of high cholesterol and we all know the potential dangers that come along with that. At 37 years old (at the time), I didn't want to be on medication for the rest of my life, but I was heading that direction with the following numbers:

178 total cholesterol
120 LDL (bad cholesterol)
81 triglycerides
42 HDL (good cholesterol)

Now, those numbers aren't off the charts bad, but they were bad enough to have me, my doctor and my wife (who is a drug rep who sells cholesterol medicine) concerned for the future. I also weighed about 189 pounds. On a 5'8" frame, that's too much. So, it was time to do something.

Those of you who know me know what came next. I signed up for my sprint triathlon on December 10 (the race is in TWO DAYS!!!!) and started going to the gym 5-6X a week. I busted my tail running, biking and swimming. I sweated and worked and was determined to be ready for the race.

I went back to the doctor to give blood again for a recheck in early March (right after a bout of pneumonia). Those results came back last week. In addition to the 25 pounds I've lost (5 were pre-MFP), here are my new numbers:

139.6 total cholesterol
92.1 LDL (bad cholesterol)
51.2 triglycerides
36 HDL (good cholesterol) - shouldn't have gone down but the doc said that's probably due to the test being done right after my pneumonia

My numbers improved a ton! I am low risk in every single category (except the HDL but none of us think that number is accurate). A few of my numbers are off-the-charts good and that has NEVER been the case with me and my cholesterol. As long as I keep up with my exercise and diet, I don't have to worry about being put on medication and I don't have to worry about my arteries getting clogged up. And THAT is a great feeling!!

Replies

• chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! I am glad that those numbers improved. You have been doing so great!
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    :drinker: Congrats to you! You are a poster child of what eating right and exercise CAN/WILL do for your health! Great Post!
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    Wonderful NSV! Good luck on your race!
  • Paigealicious77
    Paigealicious77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great job Celo! Just goes to show how much hard work and dedication can pay off! Nothing better than your health and the quality of life ;)
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    Very inspiring. Thanks. The numbes look great ! Now good luck on the race. I am rooting for you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!