Girlie questions

Options
It's that TOM again and I'm really feeling drained today. Do you ever skip your workout or do a really light one on the day you start? I'm usually only drained on the first day.

Also, question about weight gain during TOM - I used to gain 6-8 pounds in water weight and then shed it all the last day of my period. Since I've been working out (January, 2011), I have noticed I don't gain as much (maybe 2-3 pounds) and THIS month, I haven't gained an ounce. Can anybody explain the science behind that?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you really feel horrible and exhausted, skip it. One day isn't going to make that much difference.

You're retaining less water because your eating habits improved. When you're eating fewer simple carbs and sodium and drinking more water, you're going to retain less water.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    It's that TOM again and I'm really feeling drained today. Do you ever skip your workout or do a really light one on the day you start? I'm usually only drained on the first day.

Also, question about weight gain during TOM - I used to gain 6-8 pounds in water weight and then shed it all the last day of my period. Since I've been working out (January, 2011), I have noticed I don't gain as much (maybe 2-3 pounds) and THIS month, I haven't gained an ounce. Can anybody explain the science behind that?

Light workout for sure.
    And you're likely not retaining as much water weight due to working out and expelling it through sweat.
  • NicoleYates
    Options
    i can't even get out of bed the first 2 days of TOM.... much less workout... :ohwell:
  • stephbraden74
    stephbraden74 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    yes I agree do a lighter workout, and you are holding less water because of your better eating habits. Hope you feel better quick!! TOM is a meanie!!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    i can't even get out of bed the first 2 days of TOM.... much less workout... :ohwell:

You and me either!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and do what you feel up to doing. If you're exhausted, a bit of extra rest or sleep might be the best option. But if you feel up to it a 30 minute walk might actually make you feel more relaxed and better than you do now. Definitely don't push for a hard workout today.
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I usually don't work out day one either! The drained feeling stays for about a day. My problem is the bloat....I feel so bloated around my hips and knees that I don't want to workout! I've been able to push myself lately....so I work out right after day one!!! As far as the scale is concerned, "I go no where near it during or after my TOM!"
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I know its really hard but you really might feel better if you push yourself through it.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I workout every day of it. They might not be the best workouts but I get moving anyway. I feel bad enough when it is TOM without feeling guilty. As far as the weight, you are just not retaining as much water and your body gets more efficient and expelling toxins the more fit you get so there is just not as much to hold onto.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel down, or sickly I try my best to do light exercises, mostly that would involve long periods of stretching or yoga
  • Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you are "crampy" it can actually help those to work out, maybe just don't go as hard. :heart:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I had that day yesterday. As tired as I was, I knew a little movement would help and my calories consumed were right on target so as long as I just burned a couple hundred calories, I'd just be that far ahead in my net calories for the day. I think having a lower expectation actually helped me push through and in the end I doubled my goal! Just did 10-15 minutes on three cardio machines so I didn't get bored or too tired doing one thing.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you really wanted to get a work out today, I would go for a walk.
  • ATXJudie
    ATXJudie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the weight gain/loss. But I know for me - it is so hard to get to the work out that first couple days of TOM -- but once I do, I feel SO much better. It may not be the same for everyone, but it definitely helps with my cramps and fatigue. But everyone is different.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I feel crummy when TOM comes around. And I used to skip the workout the first two days or so. But mine lasts a week or more sometimes. And I find that when I work out really hard for the first two days, my cycle shortens and I get way less cramping and way less fatigue. It works out great for me to really push it, but everyone is different.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I did a lighter workout exactly because of this. I couldn't skip it although I wanted to, I needed to burn calories so I could get my TOM chocolate fix!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I'm the same way - crazy heavy and hazardous to leave the house! I've had polyps removed and have been told they come back so I'm guessing I'm about do for another round. I envy my daughter who barely shed an ounce for 3 days lol

I'm lucky I'm conscious most of those days.

I've been wishing for menopause for years!