Sugar is my problem area!!!

Options
I have such a hard time with my sugars, what do you do or what do you eat that is low in sugar?

thanks for your help

Replies

• mnkarp
    mnkarp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I really like sweet things - fresh seasonal fruits are great
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I try to eat low gylcemic foods so that they pass through my system at a much slower pace and make me feel more satisfied. :) I also take a Chromium supplement to regulate my blood sugar levels when eating. Hope my answer helped. :)
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am a sugar addict!! Bump.....
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Know the difference between good sugars and bad sugars. Fruits have unprocessed natural sugar. If you are going over your sugar because of fruit don't worry. Try to buy other products that are sugar free. If you have a big sweet tooth honey is not a bad idea.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Sugar-holic here!!!!!!! Eating Cadbury Mini Eggs as I type! AWFUL!!!! I am also a milk fiend and my sugar is always high, even when I don't sneak into the Easter candy!! I stopped tracking sugar since even on good days I was over because of fruits and milk.
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    I got tired of seeing the 'red'......so I removed it and am now watching my calcium.......Just did that today actually. I had some raisins and honey with my steel cut oats this am and that put me over on sugar.......forget it.......
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar addict too! Throughout the day I eat fruits. Right now I'm all about bananas. Then, after supper if I have 225 calories left, I melt 2.5 Tbs Nestle Toll House milk chocolate chips and add 1 C sliced strwberries. Simply heaven!

If I need something after lunch, the new Jell-O Temptations dessert cups are awesome!
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    can you share some examples of low glycemic foods?! i'd love to focus on that!
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I eat a vegetarian diet. Very little processed foods and I still end up with an overage on my sugars every day. Fruit and even veggies contain sugars that are calculated on here. Just watch out for the added sugars, such as from sodas, coffee, tea, etc. Also watch out for them in yogurt, cereals, and pretty much anything not made from scratch.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    Very interesting article http://motherjones.com/environment/2011/03/fructose-sugar-hfcs#

Here is the most interesting paragraph.

"Unlike glucose, which the body stores in various tissues for use as fuel, fructose is sent to the liver for processing. Robert Lustig, a pediatric endocrinologist at the University of California-San Francisco, has shown that it causes a buildup of fats there, triggering a host of health problems including diabetes, gout, and heart disease. Most worrisome, Lustig says, it can lead to insulin resistance, a hormonal snafu that makes you feel hungry even when you're full. "The way fructose is metabolized leads you to want to eat more," he explains—no great revelation to anyone who's ever slain a pint of Ben & Jerry's in one sitting."

Fructose is the sugar in fruit. So while fruit has other good benefits, it has the most difficult to deal with type of sugar.
  • kswietek
    kswietek Posts: 80
    Options
    thanks for all the great replies with great info. Keep em coming!!!
  • monicawagner
    monicawagner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sista!

I used to try to eat sugar free candies and such but had such negative reactions (bloating, stomach aches, etc) that I found that to be counter productive. Instead, I look to ALTERNATES to my favs. I love dessert after dinner so instead of making brownies, I have Weight Watchers desserts on hand (my fav right now is the Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake ice cream bars for 110 calories) If I'm craving sweets during the day, I might get a non-fat sugar free latte from McDonalds or have a 90 calorie special K bar (The chocolate chip cookie ones are great). I also have turned to Hard Candies instead of chewables. I love DOTS, Nerds, and other non-chocolate candies so instead I have jawbreakers. I have fewer of them because I can't bite them, so it seems to help. Sugar free gum and diet coke are my other assistants in time of need.
  • monicawagner
    monicawagner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sista!

I used to try to eat sugar free candies and such but had such negative reactions (bloating, stomach aches, etc) that I found that to be counter productive. Instead, I look to ALTERNATES to my favs. I love dessert after dinner so instead of making brownies, I have Weight Watchers desserts on hand (my fav right now is the Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake ice cream bars for 110 calories) If I'm craving sweets during the day, I might get a non-fat sugar free latte from McDonalds or have a 90 calorie special K bar (The chocolate chip cookie ones are great). I also have turned to Hard Candies instead of chewables. I love DOTS, Nerds, and other non-chocolate candies so instead I have jawbreakers. I have fewer of them because I can't bite them, so it seems to help. Sugar free gum and diet coke are my other assistants in time of need.