Any other ball field Moms or Dads out there?!

Options
I am a busy mom of 3!! I am always at some kind of field/gym etc almost daily each season!!
I have an...
11 yr old son in..
*select baseball
*wrestling
*football

9 yr old daughter in...
*select soccer
*rec fast pitch softball
*wrestling
*rec gymnastics
*loves to run 5Ks when possible

4 yr old daughter in...
*dance
*t ball
*soccer (fall)

Any other busy moms or dads out there with busy kids?! Maybe we could share fast cooking tips...how we find ways to exercise on the field at practice or even how we keep those white uniforms clean!! lol! :laugh:

Replies

• AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    My 15 yr. old has been on a field since he was 3. Here in a few weeks he starts up Baseball again which means plenty of driving followed by plenty of sitting. lol
  • rljohnson11
    Options
    I have a 8 year in Prep league, a 5 year old in Coaches Pitch, and twins that are 4 that I have to bring with me to all of the events! I would love to share ideas, recipes, etc.
    On the keeping white uniforms clean (really, they must be designed by the people who don't do laundry!) I saw on CNN that the people who make a stain remover for Major League baseball teams will soon be releasing it to the public... When I find out more, I'll share.

Thanks for posting this!
  • amielcampbell
    amielcampbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    tired sports mom here TOO! :) My 10 year old son does football basketball & now we are in BASEBALL ... & my 13 year old daughter does volleyball & basketball, and right now we are finishing up basketball with 2 more months of TOURNAMENTS!

Plan plan plan...i try to make a weekly menu, with a couple leftover days...and i bring my OWN snacks to games (in a large purse!)
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Definitely a ball field mom here... and I work full time too...

Three boys...

15 yr old does
    high school football, baseball and wrestling

14 yr old does
    junior high football and golf and rec league baseball

11 yr old does
    rec league football and baseball

The 11 yr old is actually my stepson and he plays baseball when he's with us in the summer but plays football at his moms and we go to almost every game and it's a 2 hr drive one way so football season is extremely busy for us.

In addition we have a 7 year old granddaughter that plays rec league soccer and softball too. And a 15 year old neice we are really close to that plays high school softball.

As for exercise... going into golf and baseball right now and I haven't figured out how to do that at the games, etc. So I just work it in before work, late at night, or on nights they only have practice. It's not easy but I know it's important for me to get that in.

For meals, we keep a calendar with what is going on, etc. And we work meals around how busy we are and use the crockpot a lot. I try to do meal prep the night before or that morning before work when I'm packing lunches. We do the menu at least 2 weeks in advance and some nights it's simply microwave steamed veggies and homemade fat free chicken salad. Because I can do it in advance and it's quick and easy.

For white uniforms.... when someone figures that out let me know.... I've been a sports mom for 17 years with multiple kids in multiple sports and I haven't kept a white uniform looking great yet.... and yes.. we have white again this year.... 2 games in and it is looking bad already....
  • ARMom8251
    ARMom8251 Posts: 194
    Options
    Hello mom of four here, and we are always doing something! my 12 year old plays basketball and occationally baseball but all time favorite is basketball. My 9 year old loves dance and just this year started playing softball, which is my sport so I love that I can share that with her. Then of course the younger two are not into anything yet, but they are young enough to keep me busy when my time is not filled with the older twos activites. I love it though I would not have it any other way. Always looking for more friends that have the same things in common with my life, so feel free to add me as a friend :-)
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    I am a busy mom of 2

13 yr. old son
    Jr. High Football
    Jr. High Basketball
    Select Baseball

10 yr. old daughter
    Soccer- Fall & Spring
    Select Basketball- Winter and Spring

Baseball moms- there is a detergent called Iron Out, I get it at our local grocery (Kroger) that will clean the white pants and not fade the trim. You soak the uniform for an hour in a bucket with the detergent and warm water and then dump it in the machine and wash it. So far so good. I love it. No bleach needed.

I do a lot of slow cooker meals, I work full time so I prepare the night before and dump in the slow cooker in the morning and dinner is ready when we get home.

Thats all I got. I can't wait to hear some other good ideas.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes, between kids and a full time job they run me down!

I always make casseroles, and froze a few servings, individually wrapped. Then we always have healthy quick dinners to turn to.
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
    My 7 year old son does Spring and Fall football, hip-hop, cub scouts and swimming and my 3 year old daughter does ballet, tap and swimming. Busy people, all of us!
  • jmncolts
    jmncolts Posts: 40
    Options
    Great!! Thanks for sharing!!! Hopefully we can keep this thread alive!! Either way...already met some new pals!! :wink:
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Three busy kids here too. All three of them are involved in sports year round:

13 year old stepdaughter: fastpitch, soccer, volleyball, basketball (though this is going to slow down when she enters high school in the fall, and will probably only be playing volleyball going forward).

9 year old son: baseball and summer soccer (this year only, he'll have to pick next year), football, basketball

7 year old son: baseball and summer soccer (he's got another year of both before he has to choose), football basketball.

Additionally, I've coached my stepdaughters basketball team the last four years (bitter sweet to have that end). I also coach my younger sons football team, assistant coach my older son's football team, and I'm on the board of their football association. I'm going to assistant coach their baseball team this summer for the first time, and will probably end up coaching their basketball teams when they get to 5th grade and on. If that wasn't enough, my wife works two nights a week, so some of those days get just slightly insane.
  • keegrsmom
    keegrsmom Posts: 27
    Options
    I have an 8 yo son who plays 3 sports so I spend lots of time at the field/court. It's rough on a schedule that's for sure! Takes serious planning. I try to work out at least 5 days a week. If I can schedule these off days around ball games I do that. If not I will work out before work, and yes, that means EARLY. I always have bottled water, fiber bars, fruit, or something to keep me away from concession stand. During practices and games I don't sit down much. Stay as active as possible.

But believe it or not, I have a solution to cleaning uniforms. I live in TN and for those that don't know, We have red clay. It's impossible to remove from white uniforms, so I thought! That is until a friend told me about Iron Out. It's a powder sold in the plumbing section of stores. Add about a cup to hot water in the washer and let the white items soak for a few hours. Then add detergent as normal and wash. Most of the time that's all it takes. A few times I've had to retreat with Dawn dish soap and degreaser for those big games but bottom line is the uniforms are spotless for the next game!
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    I have an 8 yo son who plays 3 sports so I spend lots of time at the field/court. It's rough on a schedule that's for sure! Takes serious planning. I try to work out at least 5 days a week. If I can schedule these off days around ball games I do that. If not I will work out before work, and yes, that means EARLY. I always have bottled water, fiber bars, fruit, or something to keep me away from concession stand. During practices and games I don't sit down much. Stay as active as possible.

But believe it or not, I have a solution to cleaning uniforms. I live in TN and for those that don't know, We have red clay. It's impossible to remove from white uniforms, so I thought! That is until a friend told me about Iron Out. It's a powder sold in the plumbing section of stores. Add about a cup to hot water in the washer and let the white items soak for a few hours. Then add detergent as normal and wash. Most of the time that's all it takes. A few times I've had to retreat with Dawn dish soap and degreaser for those big games but bottom line is the uniforms are spotless for the next game!

We use Iron Out also. You can order it online for those who can't get it in the store.
  • 2girls4boys
    2girls4boys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids, and 3 of them are in baseball right now. We are at the field until 8pm some nights. Usually, we just eat out, but I am trying really hard to change that. The season lasts until June, so we have a long way to go.

I would love dinner ideas. I have given up on white uniforms.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i have two boys.
    13 yo
    Middle school baseball team (for 3 more weeks)
    Challenge baseball (year round)
    Rec league Starts this week.

9 year
    Rec league.

I volunteer at the rec to. I am the coordinator for the concessions stand and help with all the functions out there. Keeps us very busy.. I was really worried when season started as to how i was going to be able to stay away from the quick grab junk and still get all my exercise in during the day as we are out there pretty much 5 days a week including Saturdays... Totally know what it like to try and balance everything.
    Taking it one day at a time.
    Casey
  • jmncolts
    Options
    Woohoo!! Excited about my new "ball field" (or any other busy activity parent) pals! lol! I know we have a lot to learn from each other!! :happy:
  • jmncolts
    Options
    Oh...and thanks to those who have already accepted my friend request!! :flowerforyou:
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Definitely going to have to try the Iron Out .... will it get set in dirt? For instance we had a game Wednesday night... got home at 9:00pm and had to have his uniform washed and ready to go by 7 am when we had to leave for the day yesterday because he had a game right after school yesterday. There just wasn't time for soaking on Wednesday.. but yesterday's I can soak before Monday so wondering if it gets out the stuff that says in the pants especially if you have to wash and dry quickly in order to sleep for the next day.
  • keegrsmom
    keegrsmom Posts: 27
    Options
    Bgeer34 - I've not had any problems with it setting in stains. I've soaked for 30 mins after a game to get ready for next day. Add a little scrubbing with a rag and degreaser and it worked great. Still better with iron out than it was without!
  • jmncolts
    Options
    Guess what I was just spending my Friday night doing?! Well other than sitting at softball practice :)...came home and scrubbed baseball pants!! lol! They were bad too(well in a good way)!! Slid in and mud splattered all over...ugg! Oh well had to get ready for a tournament weekend!! I always use a mix of clorox stain fighter/clorox stain remover/oxyclean pretreater/and borax....and some scrubbing! They always end up looking great (sometimes takes two washes) ...but everytime I am thinking there has got to be a better way!! I will have to look into the iron out!! Thanks again for all the ideas!! :)