I'm getting bored with what I eat!

boyslie72487
boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
So pretty much every day is the same-
Breakfast - plain bagel with cream cheese, hard boiled egg (when I actually make them :smile: )
Lunch - egg or tuna salad, sometimes on white bread but usually not
Snacks - crunchy granola bar, carrots and green peppers, yogurt
Dinner - roast chicken or fish, tacos, pasta with shrimp

I'M SO BORED!!! Any ideas?

P.S. I don't like peanut butter so anything with peanut butter is out of the question. I'm also not a fan of oatmeal but I'll choke it down if I have to :laugh:

Replies

• carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Try some different salads for lunch; I almost always have some sort of salad for lunch. I try to eat a variety of different foods, so feel free to add me if you'd like; my diary is open to friends. =).
  • So pretty much every day is the same-
    Breakfast - plain bagel with cream cheese, hard boiled egg (when I actually make them :smile: )
    Lunch - egg or tuna salad, sometimes on white bread but usually not
    Snacks - crunchy granola bar, carrots and green peppers, yogurt
    Dinner - roast chicken or fish, tacos, pasta with shrimp

I'M SO BORED!!! Any ideas?

P.S. I don't like peanut butter so anything with peanut butter is out of the question. I'm also not a fan of oatmeal but I'll choke it down if I have to :laugh:

My mom and I have this new recipe book called Light Cooking, and its low cal, low cholesterol, and low carb. We are trying a new dinner recipe every night! And I use sites like Brokeandhealthy.com and eatingwell.com for some different kinds of recipes. So many good resources out there, don't be afraid to use them!
  • rachel871
    rachel871 Posts: 113 Member
    think you've just got to make an effort to do different things - like if you usually eat roast chicken, have a look at some of these recipes...

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_low_calorie_chicken_recipes

or if you eat mainly salad for lunch, try mixing it up with a bit of couscous or different fish or chicken??

there's loads of ace low fat recipes out there, just got to be a bit adventurous! :)
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    mix fruit with some of your meals. I eat 'bad' food from time to time throughout the week.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    try your old diet but with smaller portions
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Take a peak at other people's diarys. You can get some good ideas that way. Mine is open, feel free to take a look.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    My day usually looks like this:
    Breakfast- 3 slices of center cut bacon, 2 poached eggs & 1/2 cup green grapes
    Snack- Greek yogurt with caramel
    Lunch- 2 cups spring mix salad, 1 cup spinach, 4-5 cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cucumber, 2-3 oz chicken & Sun dried tomato vinaigrette
    Snack- Special K bar
    Dinner- Baked chicken, fish or turkey with steamed veggies and some nights a 100 calories ice cream cup
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    For breakfast I like yogurt with granola or thomas' english muffins with nutella. Yum! For lunch I've been making myself a hummus sandwich. I use pita pockets, hummus of any flavor, lettuce, black olives, and a slice of cheese. Its pretty delish and low cal. For dinner I often make brown rice with veggies, a big salad, some chicken sausage (spinach and feta and my favorite), or some salmon. For snacks I get those 100 cal snack packs so I can mix it up. Hope this gives you some ideas.
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    I would get bored with that too =)

If you go to the message boards, there is a section for recipes and foods, that's a good place to start for ideas. You can check out allrecipes.com and search for low fat foods or low calories. hungrygirl.com or kalynskitchen.com has some great recipes as well.

Good luck!
  • 2girls4boys
    2girls4boys Posts: 72 Member
    This is good for me too because I feel like I am always trying to find something different to eat. I will eat the same thing for a while and then get bored with it and start on something else.
  • llongo80
    llongo80 Posts: 3 Member
    You are doing a bagel for breakfast, so you aren't cutting out carbs...why not try some different whole grain options? Whole grain English muffin, whole grain toast (you could pair that with an omelet with veggies)...what I love for breakfast is Quaker oat squares with cut up strawberries and bananas and skim milk.
    For lunch I like flat out (a lot of fiber!) with lean turkey, lettuce, tomato and avocado or tuna on whole wheat, with a side of raw veggies and some light ranch for dipping.
    For dinner we like to use ground turkey and use whole wheat pasta and squash to make spaghetti, we eat a lot of chicken or salmon plus a wide variety of vegetables such as asparagus, squash, zucchini, dark leafy greens for salads, mushrooms, peppers, green beans, corn, broccoli, etc.
    for snacks I like low fat string cheese, apples, and fiber one makes a great 90 calorie brownie! It is so good, but only 90 calories. I also like to eat a handful of almonds after a workout. It helps break down the oxidants in the body because it is high in antioxidants. :)
    Hope some of these suggestions help? Good luck!!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    I do scrambled eggs for breakfast once in a while. 2 eggs with a tiny bit of sea salt and a half Tbs of bacon bits mixed in... pretty yummy stuff! I'll also do cereal on occasion, like Kashi Go Lean! Crunch or similar. There's also the option of fresh fruit. Lunches for me are often leftovers from past dinners or veggie burgers/chicken patties (like Boca and Morningstar Farms) Very good and pretty healthy. Snacks I have are almonds, carrots, every once in a while I'll do a cereal bar of some kind. If you're working out at all, chocolate milk is a GREAT post-workout snack. I do that about every day. Dinner, I'll just make what I feel like eating and just make sure portions are controlled. I also make sure there are always veggies involved. Crock pot roasts are awesome. We do lasagna from time to time and enchiladas. I found a few awesome fairly low-cal recipes for things like black bean quesadillas (333 cals per serving) and white bean burgers (182 cals per patty) which are pretty good. There's also skinnytaste.com where I have found a TON of amazing recipes I'm dying to try. And every recipe on that site comes complete with nutrition info, so you know ahead of time what you're putting into your body fat and calorie-wise. I hope I helped... and good luck! (If you want/need any more info on anything feel free to friend/message me. :) )
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Here are some of my meals:

Breakfast:
    Thin whole wheat bagel
    Fried of Scrambled Egg
    Dash of Pepper
    Skim Milk

Special K Fruit and Yogurt Cereal
    Skim Milk
    Banana

Two Slices Turkey Bacon
    1 Scrambled Egg
    1 Half Thin Wheat Bagel

Morning Snack:
    Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt
    Mixed Fruit (Fresh Cut)

Lunch:
    1-2 Cups Baby Spinach
    4 oz Roasted/Baked Chicken (I like to make the chicken a little spicy myself :laugh: )
    7 Turkey Pepperoni (Only 25 calories heck yes!)
    1 Hard Boiled Egg
    .5 Light Mozzarella Stick
    2 Tblspoons Kens Healthy Choice Dresssing (45 calories)

4 oz Lemon Garlic Salmon
    .5 cup Cooked Brown Rice
    Heaping Portion of Grilled/Steamed Veggies

4 oz Blackened Salmon
    .5 Cup Cooked Brown Rice
    Heaping Portion of Steamed Veggies

Afternoon Snack:
    Veggies....Pre-portioned and Cut
    Rice Cakes
    Slices Cheese (stick to white cheese, not things like American if possible)

Dinner:
    Free for all...I could be writing a million recipes...
    I stick to the basic idea of...
    Protein
    Snack amount of carb (brown rice, baked potato, sweet potato baked fries)
    Veggie (salad or steamed veggies)

Hope these ideas help you!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    I'm bored too, but, in my case, I am trying to program myself right now to eat for the nutrition and not the taste. Once I reach my goal, I can surrender to my Olfactory and Glossopharengeal nerves. Until then, boring is working.
  • mllowe2
    mllowe2 Posts: 50 Member
    Lots of options out there! A thousand different kinds of yogurts! If you switch to the Bagel Thins by Thomas, they are lot less calories and I add yogurt and fruit to mine in the morning, which I feel is a lot more filling. Also, Subway is a great option for lunch or dinner to break it up-they have a good selection of healthy options. I'm also loving Fiber Ones 90 calorie selections, the brownies are fantastic!

Everytime I've failed at dieting, it was because I was forcing myself to eat the same things over and over because I knew they were safe...but this time I did some research and found all kinds of stuff! I also check the nutrition information on here before I am going out to see what's available at restaurants.

I also still eat a lot of "regular" food, I just cut down the portions to what they should be....good luck!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Low cal, healthy:
    Shrimp with lemon and parm sprinkled on top
    Egg white fritatta with spinach and feta
    Lean gr beef meatballs (baked) with sauce
    Chicken breast pounded and dredged in wheat germ, sauteed in pam, with lemon squeezed over top when browned (my favorite).
    Blackened chicken sliced over salad

Less healthy:

Homemade pizza - whole wheat pita bread with pizza sauce and fat free mozerella, broiled
    Omelette with 1 egg + egg while, fat free cheddar, salsa, FF sour cream and hot sauce - side of veggie sausage
    Low carb, low fat tortilla with organic turkey, slice cheddar, lettuce, tomato, onion and spicy mustard
    Chicken sausage with onion, garlic and baby red potatoes - drizzle olive oil and cracked pepper and sea salt and broil until browned

Sides:

Sliced tomato with feta cheese crumbled over
    Linguini with pesto (very light on pesto)
    Green beans (I use low sodium Glory)
    Steamed veggies (broccoli, summer squash, carrots)
    Roasted brussel sprouts with olive oil and parmesan sprinkled
    Penne with 1 tbsp of olive oil, fresh crushed garlic, sliced onion, sliced greek olives and oregano, then crumble in 1/2 oz of feta
    Ceasar salad - romaine lettuce with low fat ceasar dressing and reduced fat parm cheese
  • I swear by the biggest loser cookbooks. Everything I have made from them has been a hit with my whole family (kids included).
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Lots of options out there! A thousand different kinds of yogurts! If you switch to the Bagel Thins by Thomas, they are lot less calories and I add yogurt and fruit to mine in the morning, which I feel is a lot more filling. Also, Subway is a great option for lunch or dinner to break it up-they have a good selection of healthy options. I'm also loving Fiber Ones 90 calorie selections, the brownies are fantastic!

Everytime I've failed at dieting, it was because I was forcing myself to eat the same things over and over because I knew they were safe...but this time I did some research and found all kinds of stuff! I also check the nutrition information on here before I am going out to see what's available at restaurants.

I also still eat a lot of "regular" food, I just cut down the portions to what they should be....good luck!!

i wanna know where your getting fiber one 90 brownies...lol i have found the cereal bars like chocolate and pb and plain chocolate but no brownies waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh...

to the op the recipe forum on this site has a lot of awesome recipes and a lot of variations good luck...
This discussion has been closed.