Spinach - what to do with it?

Options
SuzMcH
SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
I have a whole bag of spinach in the fridge. I bought some to put in a curry and now I don't know what to do with the rest ? Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Replies

• bayoucitygirl
    bayoucitygirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There is SO much you can do!! I personally like to steam it lightly and add just a touch of olive oil and salt and eat it as a side OR use it in an eggwhite omlette. If you're into smoothies you can also blend it up along with whatever else you're tossing in to give a nice green iron boost :)
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    spinach salad is awesome. use it just like lettuce. use it on hamburgers, sandwiches, on anything you would use lettuce for plus so much more.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If it's still fresh and not wilting it's great in a salad!

Or make eggs florentine - line an oven proof bowl with overlapping leaves of spinach, crack an egg on top, cover with grated cheese or light cheesey sauce. Bake in the oven until the egg is done.

Or use it in a stir fry. Add it at the last minute or 2 because it shrinks very quickly.
  • Jit7
    Jit7 Posts: 75
    Options
    I love spinach

You can...

use it in salads like lettuce - like a nice chicken and spinach salad,
    put it in your sandwiches,
    flatten out a chicken breast and roll in a mix of spinach and low fat ricotta cheese
    use it in an omelette,
    as you said put it in curry,
    put it in a tomato sauce - like a sauce for pasta

If I buy a big bag of spinach and I know I wont be able to eat it all in time, I usually cut it into samller pieces, make sure its dry and freeze it. That way I can just sprinkle into my sauces or omelette whenever I want. It doesn't spoil the taste or nutrients.

Enjoy
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    God, I just love spinach raw, but cooked in a little olive oil is nice too. You can add cloves of garlic and salt...

Debbie
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I add it to sauce for spaghetti. Chop it down so it's not stringy, it wilts to almost nothing rather quickly and adds a lot of nutrients. You can't really taste it in the sauce.

I also just eat it by the hand full :P
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Salads, omlettes, in place of lettuce in a sandwich, sautee... so many things you can do!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I love it steamed or sauteed with a touch of olive oil and garlic. I also use it on sandwiches in place of lettuce (hate lettuce). Or I steam it and stuff it in chicken breasts or pork chops with a little goat cheese or feta and whatever other veggies I have left over in the fridge. Recently started adding it to stir fries, love that too!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Suz...if its baby leaf spinach, it makes a nice salad with fresh strawberries and poppy seed dressing.

You could use any kind of spinach to make a very nice veggie omlet...chop up whatever veggies you have and toss them in with eggs.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I just made these Parmesan Spinach Cakes last weekend and they were so good. Little warm cheesy bites of goodness. Bonus is they are already in the MFP database!

(From Eating Well Magazine, my changes are in parenthesis)

4 servings, 2 spinach cakes each
    Per serving: 141 calories; 8 g fat ( 4 g sat , 3 g mono ); 123 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 456 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.

12 ounces fresh spinach (I used 10 oz. of frozen, thawed, and well drained)
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, or low-fat cottage cheese (I used cottage cheese)
    1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1 clove garlic, minced (I doubled the garlic)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Pulse spinach in three batches in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add ricotta (or cottage cheese), Parmesan, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper; stir to combine.

Coat 8 cups of the muffin pan with cooking spray. Divide the spinach mixture among the 8 cups (they will be very full).

Bake the spinach cakes until set, about 20 minutes. Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a clean cutting board or large plate. Serve warm, sprinkled with more Parmesan, if desired.

Here is the link to the recipe:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/parmesan_spinach_cakes.html
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I personally go through a TON of spinach each month. Why? I make green smoothies (I alternate between spinach and kale). Delicious and nutritious. They are easy -- couple handfuls spinach, any fruit you have hanging around (frozen is better - but add ice if you don't have frozen fruit) some water - blend it all up and you are good to go. It's ugly, but yummy. You may want to start with less spinach and more fruit.

My recipe from this morning (first time I'm using this particular one):

about 4-5 cups of spinach
    2 kiwis
    1 frozen banana
    about 8 oz give or take of water

Blend. Drink! This will make at least 2 8 oz glasses. One for the morning snack and one for an afternoon snack.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I just made these Parmesan Spinach Cakes last weekend and they were so good. Little warm cheesy bites of goodness. Bonus is they are already in the MFP database!

(From Eating Well Magazine, my changes are in parenthesis)

4 servings, 2 spinach cakes each
    Per serving: 141 calories; 8 g fat ( 4 g sat , 3 g mono ); 123 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 456 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.

12 ounces fresh spinach (I used 10 oz. of frozen, thawed, and well drained)
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, or low-fat cottage cheese (I used cottage cheese)
    1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1 clove garlic, minced (I doubled the garlic)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Pulse spinach in three batches in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add ricotta (or cottage cheese), Parmesan, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper; stir to combine.

Coat 8 cups of the muffin pan with cooking spray. Divide the spinach mixture among the 8 cups (they will be very full).

Bake the spinach cakes until set, about 20 minutes. Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a clean cutting board or large plate. Serve warm, sprinkled with more Parmesan, if desired.

Here is the link to the recipe:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/parmesan_spinach_cakes.html

BUMP :)
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I add it to everything from pizza to salads to wraps. I also will blend a good handful into smoothies for the whole family with yogurt, frozen berries, a spash of juice. When I put it into the Magic Bullet it blends it so well that you'd never know it was there! You can also chop it up and add it to meatloaf, pasta, even baked muffins (like you would zucchini!)
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    hello! oh there are many things to do with spinach! I replace lettuce or mix it in to salad, put it in sandwiched/wraps. A great thing to do if your curious is google "healthy recipes using spinach" and see what happens! good luck!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Spanakopita!
  • BriefTales
    BriefTales Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We steam it for a few minutes, sprinkle sesame seeds on the top then toss it with a tsp of sesame oil or vinegar. Excellent food.
  • bgolden1975
    bgolden1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mix in salad
    sautee with mushrooms in a little olive oil and mix with pasta
    mix it with burgers
    soups
    put it on sandwiches instead of lettuce

*just look up fresh spinach recipes, I'm sure you'll find something to do with it.
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Last night I put it in my pan for a few minutes before I added my eggs and had scrambled eggs with spinach. It was delicious.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I'll second everything that's been said. The only thing I haven't tried yet is adding spinach to a smoothie. That's next on the list. I think I've eaten a bushel of spinach this past 3 1/2 weeks! My favorite is in an omelette and I love spinch salads.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Wilt it down with some lemon and sauteed garlic - delicious!