Low Calorie ways to get more protein?

Options
savvystephy
savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you had any ideas for low(er) calorie ways to get more protein. I have been cleaning up my diet, so my snacks have switched over to mostly fruits and veggies the last few weeks (and a cheese stick here and there for some protein), but I am not sure I am getting enough protein (though a lot of complex carbs!).

Yes, I know I have a lot of snacks - but I am a grazer. I get hungry every 1.5 hours or so, and have a piece of fruit or veggies. :tongue: that's the main reason I have tried switching to these healthy, whole food, options.

Any suggestions on getting more protein?

Thanks!

Replies

• LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    Specifically as snacks you can get soy nuts or roasted chickpeas at most health food stores. Roasted, unsalted almonds are terrific for calcium, fibre and protein but the calories (and fat) add up fast.
  • bobbijo72
    bobbijo72 Posts: 63
    Options
    i also get hungry very fast. i eat egg snacks.. i hae eggs for breakfast on monday i make mini quiche cups (southbeach) and use them as a snack when i need. i will have a protien shake once a day and cheese sticks as well.. i am always over on my protien.. make sure you DRINK lots of water.. alll day as well... thirst usually manifest as hunger and is hard ot knwo the difference.. so drink water before you go for a snack.. goodluck!
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Add kidney beans to your salad! Any kind of beans are low calorie good protein choices. :)
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    cottage cheese, milk, low cal protein powder made into a shake with just half a banana and ice, beef jerky :)
  • loseit65
    loseit65 Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi, I would try the gnc lein protein shake. Its really good , add yogurt, fruit. I end up going under calories , but over protein .
  • Flocker1979
    Options
    I was shocked at how much protien a 6oz cup of Chobani yogurt has! 13-14grams per cup, at around 140 calories.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Odwalla drinks are really good.. they have a super protein drink that is only 290 calories and is 15 grams of protein.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are almost pure protein, and as mentioned protein powder (try for one with little to no fat or carbs as you want it for the protein not the other stuff)
  • s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options
    Protein shakes or drinks is a good way. I drink Syntrax Nectar, Roadside Lemanonade flavor. It has no sugar, no fat, and very little carbs lots of protein. It also helps to keep me fuller a little longer than if I just eat a snack without drinking it. It comes in other flavors and I only put half of the serving (scoop) into a bottle of water.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. Super low in calories and very high protein.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Eat lean protein like chicken breast and fish, I almost always go over on my protein. I also drink body by vi milkshakes 2 out of 6 small meals a day. Its really high in protein with skim milk and low in calories. Friend me if you want more info.
  • Gizalba
    Gizalba Posts: 9
    Options
    I 'think' quorn is pretty good for protein and low cal, it depends if you like it though, and it's not really a snack... I have quorn burgers, quorn mince meat in spag bol and quorn chicken style pieces in stir fry. I'm not keen on meat though, I guess if you like meat then chicken is just as good.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I have avoided eggs (and egg whites) a little bit the last couple weeks since I have been getting a little sick on them. :tongue; But, beans for the salad is a good idea!

I will collect these tips and use them, thanks! :smile: I have been drinking a lot of water also (and get a bunch from fruits & veggies), though it has to be rationed / cut off by a certain time of day until I get home since I have a long commute (1.5 hours) where there isn't much access to a bathroom. :laugh:
  • trhonda2011
    Options
    Yep I love protein shakes, I also drink body by vi shakes and they work for me 90 cal, 12g of protein, 7 carbs, .5 sugar. If you want more then add Chobani greek yogurt, still under 200 cal total. :) I drink one for breakfast and lunch, then have light snacks in between then a regular dinner.