Meal Planning

Options
As a stay at home mom, I'm learning that keeping my meals under 400 calories each and setting my alarm to schedule meal breaks, is helping me become more disciplined in my eating. This is the 2nd day that I've been doing this. Preparing a protein smoothie for breakfast is also helping me balance out my meals for the remainder of the day.

What are some tips that have helped you to stay within your calorie goal?

Sharon

Replies

• colliemarie
    Options
    I try to eat something healthy and small every two hours so I never let myself get too hungry. I tend to always write in my suppers first in the day because I use the most calories for that meal and it seems to be very helpful.
  • telyhan
    telyhan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am still learning myself, but the easiest way that I have found to keep myself on track is to load up the kitchen with tons of healthy vegetables and seasonings and then prepare meals a day ahead of time. I add the food to the diary as I am preparing it to make sure I am staying within my calorie intake. This way I know the food is ready for me the next day, whenever I get hungry, I can just grab from something from my list and not have to think about it. I make large healthy dishes in advance and freeze single size portions so I always have something to grab if I am swamped and cannot prepare a meal in advance.
  • TammyAK
    TammyAK Posts: 8
    Options
    I like to plan my meals a week ahead of time. I dont give myself a ridgid schedule but allow myself options for my meals. I usually have three breakfast options, lunch i have the option of having leftovers from dinner the night before or a salad, and dinner I plan 7 meals on Sunday and decide the night before which one I am feeling like for the next day. I am a firm believer in not limiting yourself to what your body needs. So I try to balance my carbs, pritienes, ect. It is all about portion control and teaching your body how to use the food you eat to its advantage. Good things in, good things out!:flowerforyou:
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I try to fill out what I am going to eat for the day including snacks and stick to it- not only the types of foods but also the portions I alloted for myself So I guess you would say I plan ahead
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    Dinner is usually the first I enter too, sometimes it is calorie dense, but most times it just helps me plan what i am gonna make with whatever I just laid out to defrost. I am not an organized planner I guess. I get up in the morning, and put in our dinner, my breakfast and then fill in the rest with what I think I will eat. Sometimes it changes though. last night, I was going to have leftover ghoulash and let my husband make his processed stuffed chicken things he loves so much. But, he came home and decided he wanted to go to my daughter's favorite deli, so he changes my plans alot. he also doesn't like meatloaf....
    I also don't have 6 meals in my food log, but six blocks of time through the day. Sometimes I eat lunch at noon and sometimes at 2. If I get to sleep in or just not hungry half the morning, I might not have breakfast until 10, so I'm not gonna have lunch at noon, though there may be a snack, so my noon-3pm slot might actually have 2 'meals' prolly snacks though.
    This most likely helped you none at all, sorry. Oh, but dinner is always at 6... even if I don't eat my portion till 8 lol.