help with a workout schedule

Options
Anyone know where to go (either on the web or in a book) to get a free workout schedule? Or does anyone know where to begin? Maybe some of you have some ideas what I can do. Nothing is worse than going to the gym when you only have an hour and waste it by wondering what to do.............I have 6 days to workout and an hour each time. I would like to lose and tone. I am not afraid of weights (I love using free weights). I can take any day off so it is best to do all upper body then lower body or break it up to do the whole body all week and cardio the other days??? HELP!!! Anything you all are finding that works great for you? I have very little time to workout so I need to make sure it is a good workout. By the way I am trying to workout from 5:30am to 6:30am 6 days a week. Resting one day.

Thanks for the help!!!
:)

Replies

• jessski
    jessski Posts: 24
    Options
    jillianmichaels.com is amazing she gives you work outs for everyday as well as a meal plan with a grocery list and recipies for everything on it. By far the best program I have looked into
  • kelfeene
    kelfeene Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Is Jillianmichaels.com free? Awesome! Good luck Kpepper! I am not qualified to comment.. I struggle with the same thing!
  • crystal10584
    Options
    BUMP
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    If you have 6 days.....

I do strength training circuits tues, thurs, sat (both arms and legs and abs) take 3 moves (circuit 1) and do one right after each other no rest then 60 sec rest and repeat 3 times) gets your heart rate pumping - then do circuit 2 same way- I do 3 circuits each day and a different 3 each day. so there are actually 27 moves I do in one week ....- and if I have the energy left 20 min walk on treadmill...or walk the doggies
    example circuit 1

Free squats 6-8 (heavy weights!! )
    dumbell curls 12-15 each arm
    tricep pull downs 12

with enough weight that you can do all the moves but the last one is really hard - dont worry you wont get huge...

and do HIIT cardio on Mondays, Weds, friday

with Sunday off

good luck - there is also a book called New Rules for Lifting for Women- might be helpful....
  • kpepper07
    kpepper07 Posts: 41
    Options
    I did not think that Jillianmichaels.com was free but I did hear it was good. Maybe it is time to hire a trainer!
  • mitz88
    mitz88 Posts: 2
    Options
    jillianmichaels.com is not free, however you maybe able to get a 7 day free trial. I found getting myself a personal trainer helped, I know its costly, but after a while I didn't need him so much as I learnt about trainging myself. I also use youtube to get circuit and other exercise ideas as some people post workouts on there.
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is a WONDERFUL FREE website :)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Although you might not think to visit this site, I challenge you to give this a try.

www.bodybuilding.com

In the upper left hand corner chose "Plan" and then go through the selections, choosing Female, your age group and your goal (weight loss). They provide plans, including video's, nutritional ideas, workout schedule to include printouts for you to record your progress and other support.

I would suggest that you take their caloric requirements with a grain of salt, depending on your weight loss goals. I use a different calculation to figure out my intake, which is about 300 calories lower than what they recommend for me.

Check it out. It's all free.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you tried beach body slim in 6....but its great, It incorporates cardio and strength training all in one. You atart out the first week learning the moves, the second and third week are "ramp it up" and week 4-6 are burn it up. When I did it a couple years ago I slimmed and lost so much. I am going to do it again after I finish p90x.
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't go to Jillian Michaels website but her DVD workouts are fairly cheap at Target. About $10 each. I do the 6 week 6 pack, and 30 Day shred 5 days a week and then walk just about everyday for 30 minutes as well.
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    bump. i'd like to read about this later. :)
  • desirez131
    desirez131 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This book is awesome has all kinds of workouts you can do for different parts of your body. I may just pull it out and dust it off since I'm getting back into the swing of things.

The Body Sculpting Bible for Women, Revised Edition: The Way to Physical Perfection

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Sculpting-Bible-Women-Revised/dp/1578262399/ref=pd_sim_b_1
  • desirez131
    desirez131 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is a WONDERFUL FREE website :)

This is a great site!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I did not think that Jillianmichaels.com was free but I did hear it was good. Maybe it is time to hire a trainer!

I would go with the trainer! A lot of gyms offer a free session or two with a trainer just so that you can learn what to do and what the proper form looks like. Thats what i did and now I'm hooked!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great workout routines here, and all are illustrated!

http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/u/workouts.htm
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Although you might not think to visit this site, I challenge you to give this a try.

www.bodybuilding.com

In the upper left hand corner chose "Plan" and then go through the selections, choosing Female, your age group and your goal (weight loss). They provide plans, including video's, nutritional ideas, workout schedule to include printouts for you to record your progress and other support.

I would suggest that you take their caloric requirements with a grain of salt, depending on your weight loss goals. I use a different calculation to figure out my intake, which is about 300 calories lower than what they recommend for me.

Check it out. It's all free.

Another vote for bodybuilding.com! It's a great site, I have learned a ton from this site and it works!
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    New rules of lifting for women is a really good book and it has a nutrition section. I think I got it for 10 bucks off of amazon.com. Good luck!! It is all about consistency and keeping diet in check is the most important of all.

I personally think 6 days a week is too many days to work out. You don't want to burn yourself out and your body needs time to heal. I do great with five and I find I really need my 2 rest days. Hope this helps!
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but I hear a lot of people like the Coach to 5k programs.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    New rules of lifting for women is a really good book and it has a nutrition section. I think I got it for 10 bucks off of amazon.com. Good luck!! It is all about consistency and keeping diet in check is the most important of all.

I personally think 6 days a week is too many days to work out. You don't want to burn yourself out and your body needs time to heal. I do great with five and I find I really need my 2 rest days. Hope this helps!

I LOVE this book, it is my bible! So easy to follow and gives great results!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If you're new to lifting I would suggest a full body workout or a 2 day split.
    Once you've been working out for a year or two you can split things up into working a couple body parts per day.

For full body workouts you wanna stick to compound movements if you can and try to hit everything. And you would be off every other day (do cardio if you're trying to lose weight)

MON ON
    TUES Cardio ( low intensity)
    Wed ON
    THURS Cardio (intervals) Look into HIIT
    Friday ON
    Sat cardio or rest
    Sunday rest

bodybuilding.com has where you can find a program based on sex, age and goals. But here's a basic workout depending on your gyms equipment (broken down by muscles, you can pick and choose)

5 minute warmup on treadmill or elliptical

Chest: Benchpress, Pec Flies, Incline DB press
    Shoulders: DB Lateral Raise, Front Raise, Military Press
    Biceps: EZ barl curls db curls
    Triceps: Triceps pushdowns dips (can be assisted dips if you have the machine)
    Quads: If you're willing to learn to squat that would be great as it's a full body workout. Otherwise leg press
    Glutes: Leg Press. Your gym should also have a glute machine
    Calves: Should have a machine. Or do standing calf raises
    Hamstrings: Find a machine.
    core work: planks
    Back: Seated Rows, lat pulldowns

Also try to hit hip abduction and adduction machines.

Just pick a few and get started.