SOOO confused...

mishelnkiki
mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
ok so i have read a ton of these today, and i have a question on the hrm. i have one that i bought at mc sports a while ago. its the one that u wear like a watch. im confused on the whole chest strap thing. it is a pain in the hind end to have to keep taking my hate rate on it, but would it be more accurate if i were to buy a diff one with a chest strap??

Replies

• pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    not sure I don't have one but I think If I get one I'm getting the strap kind!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    The chest strap is much more accurate because it consistently monitors your heart rate. I have the watch like one and it's a pain in the *kitten* to have to continually check my heart rate.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    You honestly don't even notice the chest strap. It is way more accurate. I highly recommend getting a HRM with a chest strap. I have the Polar FT4 and I love it dearly!

You don't have to keep checking it, once you "start" your workout, it just keeps on monitoring your heart heart. When you are finished, it shows you total calories burned, average heart rate, highest heart rate, length of workout and how long you were in "the zone".
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    In short, yes. The only type of HRM worth anything, IMHO, is one with a chest strap. I had one with the sensors on the watch and it was worth zero to me.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Yes, especially if the wrist only watch is older. I tried a newer wrist only watch claiming as accurate as chest strap. Not even close. My Sportline DUO and whatever the Dr had me wired to were within 1 beat of each other. The wrist only, a little over 20% off. Much higher than the others meaning it will reflect an inaccurate overstated calorie burn.. Sorry, I won't be trusting wrist only anytime soon.
  • ZealouslyInert
    ZealouslyInert Posts: 5 Member
    Stick with the watch one...the chest straps are annoying.
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    The first one I bought was a Sportline watch version. It worked OK at first but then as I upped my workouts and would sweat more, it became horribly inaccurate.

I now have a Timex one with the chest strap. I get pretty accurate readings no matter how hard I work out.

I think the ones with the chest strap work best.

However, if you don't want to invest in another, try putting some eletrode gel between your wrist and the back of the watch.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Chest strap for sure...
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Hi there, I bought a watch type one and found it difficult to get along with..I also found it completely overestimated my calories burned. I don't personally have a chest strap one, but I'm seriously considering it. Everyone I have spoken to loves their chest strap HRM...they are also very accurate!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Definitely more accurate. I did a 45 min spin class on Thursday. I have one with a chest strap, my friend does not. My reading 738 cal., his reading 249 cal.
  • savannahgur
    savannahgur Posts: 235 Member
    I have a Polar FT4 that I simply adore and honestly it is more accurate than tha wrist watches you have. It is a little annoying at first but once you get used to how it feels you don't even notice it's on until your workout is all done and it's time to take it off.

I recommend any HRM with a chest strap if you want more accurate results.

Happy weight loss!!

Jessica
This discussion has been closed.