In praise of Walking

Options
I used to dread walking. I would look for the closest parking spot to the store and park there. My friend would try to get me to come walking with her and I would go, but not for very long. I would get winded and tired and stop.
Then I got a treadmill. I started slowly. 15 minutes at 2.5 mph. 20 minutes at 2.5 mph. It started getting easier. I tried 25, then 30 minutes. I went up to 2.8 and 3 mph. Before I knew it I was using the incline.
Then the weather got nice. I started walking with my family at the walking park here in town. I used to go to the park with my friend last year and only make it 1/2 way and quit. Now I walk the whole mile trail in 20 minutes and sometimes go around twice! Who knows maybe I will start doing the trail 3 times!
I started to notice when I walked the treadmill that I had more energy throughout the day. And then I realised my moods were improved and my stress level was down, eliminating the desire to eat for emotional reasons (stress, boredom, depression etc)
Walking with my son has made our relationship closer. He is now enjoying the walks. We have good talks while we walk. Sometimes we bring the mini doxie and she loves the walks. It has become a lifestyle. We go to grandma and grandpas and grandpa walks with us. Sometimes my husband joins in.
If someone would have told me a year ago that I would wake up wanting to walk I would have never believed them. I would have rather sat on the couch and watched tv or read a book. " I walk enough at work" I would say. Not anymore!
So I tell everyone that wants to lose weight, but is intimidated by exercise: Walk. Start slow. Do a little every day.....Before you know it it will be a way of life!
It was for me anyway!

Replies

• elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Lovely post. Very inspiring. Well done!
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I agree totally! I walk in general for most of my exercise and I try to increase the intensity and time every trip.
  • MeaganAnn84
    Options
    I agree, lovely post! It's nice that something that's good for you can also bring your family closer together. What's good for the goose is good for the gander! :) Enjoy your walks!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i walk as part of my exercise and do at least an hr a day:smile:
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing. I love the photo of you and your son. I've also started my fitness initiative with walking, and it feels good in so many ways. I ask myself why I waiited so long!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I walk one mile to work every morning and one mile (uphill-sometimes a HUGE hill) back. Its improved my mood, energy and stress levels. I notice on the rare occasion (storm) when I bus to work, my day just doesn't go as well and I get sluggish. Now I walk around 4 mph and zoom by everyone else, when before I had to take it slower. Every little bit helps!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I try to get in a 30-minute outdoor walk every day. I've been doing it for 2 months, and now I look forward to it.
  • jrich6
    jrich6 Posts: 26
    Options
    LOVE the post. :)
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. Thanks for sharing the inspiration. Walking was where I started my journey to better fitness too, and still one of the things I most like to do.