Does choc soy milk have same effect as choc cow's milk?

Options
I've read over and over that because of the combination of carbs and protein that chocolate milk is an awesome post-workout drink. I workout very early in the morning (4 a.m.) and have faithfully been drinking chocolate milk mixed with a scoop of whey protein powder post-workout. My issue is my body has become increasingly lactose intolerant over the years (not so bad that I'm in pain or anything) and so the side effects, well, yeah. :embarassed:

My question is will soy milk have the same benefits? I know that soy doesn't have any casein protein. I've also read that that's okay because casein is a slow-processing protein. If I'm remembering correctly, whey protein is faster acting, which is why the cow's milk is a good drink after working out. Is soy as fast acting? I believe soy protein also has more amino acids. Am I right about that? I'm sorry, I've read so much that I think I'm mixing all my information up. I plan on continuing to put a scoop of whey protein in with the soy milk if drinking soy milk post-workout is just as beneficial.

If the soy milk/whey protein combination is okay, I do plan on trying to drink a glass of plain skim white milk at night to see if that will help my endurance in the morning. Since I wake so early, there's no way for me to get in a pre-workout snack/drink.

Thanks to anyone who can help me understand this!!

Replies

• mstarrett01
    mstarrett01 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump was wondering the same thing.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It really isn't going to make that big of a difference if you use soy milk. I think soy milk tastes better and it's lower in animal fats/cholesterol than cow's milk. Unless you were seriously body building or training for a marathon, the milk you choose to drink with it (of course, fat levels will make a difference in your calories) really doesn't matter that much. And just remember, amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. Depending on the protein, it will have a different sequence of amino acids, and therefore function differently. But generally speaking, all proteins have the same number of amino acids.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I don't think so: the nutriets like VItamin D and Calcium play a role too. I played with chocolate milk for awhile, but went back to my old stand by of coconut water after runs lasting more than an hour.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and I use the lactaid pills to help me out in the dairy dept. you can get generic ones that are half the price.
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    It really isn't going to make that big of a difference if you use soy milk. I think soy milk tastes better and it's lower in animal fats/cholesterol than cow's milk. Unless you were seriously body building or training for a marathon, the milk you choose to drink with it (of course, fat levels will make a difference in your calories) really doesn't matter that much. And just remember, amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. Depending on the protein, it will have a different sequence of amino acids, and therefore function differently. But generally speaking, all proteins have the same number of amino acids.

Thanks good to know... I have Silk Orig. Almond Milk with my whey protein and wondered the same thing.
  • Bratkins
    Bratkins Posts: 47
    Options
    I use Almond milk. It fits well with me and I like the taste better. I make a post workout smoothie... 1 scoop Whey protein, 1 cup fruit and 1 cup Almond milk. That gives you a great mix of Protein and good carbs after you work out. You might not enough time for a blender but it works well for me and keeps me full for a few hours. :)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I don't think so: the nutriets like VItamin D and Calcium play a role too. I played with chocolate milk for awhile, but went back to my old stand by of coconut water after runs lasting more than an hour.
    Thanks to both of you!! I will go with the soy for a little while and see how my body reacts. My body has really been reacting positively to the chocolate cow's milk - all except for my tummy. :laugh:
  • mayandreamer
    mayandreamer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    just a note that whey protein is a 'milk' protein. So, you could be having an allergic type reaction to the protein in the milk and whey powder, instead of an intollerance reaction to the lactose.

If you still have problems when you switch to soy milk, you may want to find a protein powder that not milk based.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    http://www.chocolatemilk.com/after-workout/

Granted the name of the website is "chocolate milk" but it does explain more about how/why it works post-workout. And it sounds like several of the micro/macro nutrients are specific to milk. Another "tab" shows a picture of chocolate soy milk products, but doesn't specifically address how they are different. It did touch on whey/casein as a part of the recovery process though, and they seem to be most concentrated in milk. My take away was that you could probably use soy, w/ a scoop of whey protein powder thrown in.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd just do the choc soy milk and throw in some protein powder if needed.

It's okay if you aren't getting casein postworkout. I usually have casein at night time. Otherwise I'm hungry in the middle of the night.
  • lovetowrite73
    Options
    just a note that whey protein is a 'milk' protein. So, you could be having an allergic type reaction to the protein in the milk and whey powder, instead of an intollerance reaction to the lactose.

If you still have problems when you switch to soy milk, you may want to find a protein powder that not milk based.
    You know, I never even thought about that! Thanks so much to posting that - though, my body had been reacting negatively to lactose for a while. I had frozen yogurt yesterday and it was not pretty when I got home. :laugh: :embarassed:
  • lovetowrite73
    Options
    RMinVA, thanks for the link. I will check it out.

bmontgomery87, I figured the skim milk at bedtime wouldn't have such an adverse reaction to my body. Thanks!!