Does a Foam Roller help?

Options
I tried a foam roller last Summer with a trainer one time but am getting back into the gym and need some relief on my post workout soreness (aka PAIN:) ). Anybody try the foam roller for this? Don't want to take meds to relieve the pain.

Replies

• pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I finally broke down and bought one last night and I am in love with it! I have been running forever and had never tried one. It felt amazing and I am all about it even if it doesn't help with soreness... just the massage is worth it!
  • finafilms
    finafilms Posts: 40
    Options
    I love my foam roller!! I got an extra stiff one from runners warehouse online (black one for $20) and it is worth every penny. Whether I've come back from a long run, hike, or even a night of dancing (yes I have rolled afterwards) it helps relieve a lot of tension from my IT band, thighs, calfs, back, e.t.c. Just remember to never do it cold (i.e. after your workout and not before), and do not over roll.
  • KristiGuard
    KristiGuard Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What is a foam roller??
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to run without my foam roller. So yes, I recommend it. It's a must have for anyone that runs or has ITB issues, but really it's good for anyone. Make sure you're hydrating enough to help your body recover!
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,168 Member
    Options
    Foam rollers are great, particularly for massaging the outer hip, thighs and glutes. It hurts like the ****ens when you are doing it but after is pure relief.

Edited because I did not know you could not write the nickname for "Richard" LOL
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    active on helps for muscle pain too. just don't put it on too thick. it burns like hell if you do. i use it for my frequent neck pain as well as for my sore legs and knees.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My trainer used to end each session with a foam roller stretch and I never had any soreness after a hard workout.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have something similar to the foam rollers and am in LOVE with them--the TP Massage Ball and the TP Massage Footballer. I bought them at a race expo when I was running a lot of half-marathons. They're fabulous! http://www.tptherapy.com/
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    OH God YES!!! I keep my ITBS at bay with the foam roller and The Stick. I use the foam roller after my runs and the stick at night before bed. Really helps break up the knots and keeps the IT band loose.
  • butterfly0475
    butterfly0475 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Might need to purchase one for home so I can utilize my gym time on the machines and in front of a mirror:)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    For the person who asked, a foam roller is a large, firm styrofoam tube that you roll your muscles on to relieve/prevent soreness and pain after a workout. It massages the fascia just below the skin. It's great for muscle recovery if you work out every day. You can look up videos on YouTube to see how to work different muscle groups.
  • KristiGuard
    KristiGuard Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I have chronic muscle and neck pain from a whip lash injury. I wonder if this would help any??:ohwell: