Proteins

Options
Can you go over the proteins or do I only watch my calorie intake?

Replies

• leblanclisamarie
    Options
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

i dont like to go over mine often because too much protein can make you gain-- thats what builders and stuff do or people tryin to gain they increase there protein value
  • leblanclisamarie
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Makes since to me.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

I've read messages over and over on the board that this site tends to go alittle low on the protein amount, so I don't worry anymore about going over by alittle bit. So sometimes I'm over by as much as 15 or so. I'm still managing to steadily lose, so as long as you're getting some exercise, don't worry about going over by alittle bit.
  • leblanclisamarie
    Options
    Thanks, I tend to like my proteins.
  • jonasgrey
    Options
    Regardless of protein content if you have a negative calorific intake you will lose weight. wouldnt worry bout it
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I tend to like my proteins.

:laugh: You and me both! I could NEVER be a vegetarian, I LOVE meat WAY too much! And peanut butter too!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

i dont like to go over mine often because too much protein can make you gain-- thats what builders and stuff do or people tryin to gain they increase there protein value

It's not protein that makes you gain--it's a caloric surplus. If you are performing resistance training that utilizes both progression and overload and eat 100 extra calories per day, you can gain muscle mass with very little fat. However, it's actually the protein-sparing effect of carbohydrates and fat that allow the protein to be utilized for muscle synthesis. Builders who take in high amounts of protein are actually doing themselves a disservice because a majority of the protein must then be used for energy production rather than muscle production.

In a caloric deficit, it is physiologically impossible to gain muscle mass even with a high-protein diet. A higher % of calories in the diet is recommended for athletes who require more regular muscular repair.
  • mrsyac2
    Options

It's not protein that makes you gain--it's a caloric surplus. If you are performing resistance training that utilizes both progression and overload and eat 100 extra calories per day, you can gain muscle mass with very little fat. However, it's actually the protein-sparing effect of carbohydrates and fat that allow the protein to be utilized for muscle synthesis. Builders who take in high amounts of protein are actually doing themselves a disservice because a majority of the protein must then be used for energy production rather than muscle production.

In a caloric deficit, it is physiologically impossible to gain muscle mass even with a high-protein diet. A higher % of calories in the diet is recommended for athletes who require more regular muscular repair.

My husband upped his protein intake by a ridiculous # and gained weight- he cant gain weight any other way- he eats over 3000 calories a day which does nothing but disappears the only way for him to gain is to up his protein amount but like i said its a ridiculous #- He even warned me along with his gym friends when i started with my protein shakes and bars to not go too crazy on the protein-- My friend wasnt losing weight when she had a mass overload of protein her doctor told her to ease up as well since she wasnt losing with the amount of protein that she was eating
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

My husband upped his protein intake by a ridiculous # and gained weight- he cant gain weight any other way- he eats over 3000 calories a day which does nothing but disappears the only way for him to gain is to up his protein amount but like i said its a ridiculous #- He even warned me along with his gym friends when i started with my protein shakes and bars to not go too crazy on the protein-- My friend wasnt losing weight when she had a mass overload of protein her doctor told her to ease up as well since she wasnt losing with the amount of protein that she was eating

We may have different opinions of ridiculous amounts of protein. 20-30% is acceptable, and 40% is the high end. I have seen some people try to up their protein to 60% of their daily calories, which resulted in blood pressure problems in the long run due to dehydration and increased blood viscosity (and no measurable improvement in muscle mass gains). It sounds like your friend was simply eating too many calories and it happened to be from protein. Overeating anything will cause weight gain. But eating above what MFP recommends--which is only 15%--isn't going to cause fat gain.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Staying within the calorie number is what is going to make you lose weight. The other numbers I consider a guideline for good nutrition, so I pay attention to them so I can learn how to eat healthy food. Close on those numbers either way is fine. But if I'm over a significant amount I give it some thought. If I'm really high in sodium for example it usually means I'm eating too much processed food. If I find myself high in protein then I usually need to increase fruit and veggies. I really try to not be too low in protein as I find it makes me hungry and I'll soon be eating off my plan.
  • mrsyac2
    Options

We may have different opinions of ridiculous amounts of protein. 20-30% is acceptable, and 40% is the high end. I have seen some people try to up their protein to 60% of their daily calories, which resulted in blood pressure problems in the long run due to dehydration and increased blood viscosity (and no measurable improvement in muscle mass gains). It sounds like your friend was simply eating too many calories and it happened to be from protein. Overeating anything will cause weight gain. But eating above what MFP recommends--which is only 15%--isn't going to cause fat gain.

She didnt gain weight she just stayed the same she ate very healthy just too much protein and worked out constantly-