Running in the rain

Options
ejb245
ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
So, I've been planning on running tonight and I've been excited as it's W6D3 of the C25K program for me tonight (25 minutes running, no stopping). Problem is, it was only supposed to sprinkle this afternoon and be fine this evening and now its raining and will be raining all evening. I still want to run outside, but is there anything special I should do? I'll be wearing a jacket because its in the 40s in eastern PA, but other than that, anything special? Better to wear pants or is it ok to wear capris? Should I scrap the evening run and just do the elliptical?

Any help/advice would be welcome!

Replies

• JPRobocker
    JPRobocker Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I actually really like running in the rain. Mostly because I get really hot when I run, so the rain cools me down. If you do go out, you are going to want to get something to go over your ears and some gloves. They are the first to get really cold. I never have a problem with anything else when I run outside so long as it's over 40 degrees.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    just wear a baseball hat to help keep it out of your eyes. your clothes will probably get soaked and become heavy so lighter weight clothing would be best if not too cold. some of my best runs have been in the rain. enjoy :)
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a run in light to moderate rain! I prefer pants, but if you tend to get too hot capri's might be better for you.

HOWEVER- pay more attention to your footfalls and where you are running as there are increased risks with falling while running in the rain. I generally run more slowly in the rain for safety.

I even did a 5K in a blizzard last November - that was something!!!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain! As long as it is not too cold it can be very invigorating. I say go for it! Maybe start close to home, that way if it is too cold or uncomfortable you can scrap it. Good luck :)
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Gene Kelly says it's a good time to sing and dance. My 3 year old loves that part of the movie. Even grabs a child size umbrella and tries to mock him.

However, I say rain is for the birds and its a good time for the elliptical.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    oh and...this post reminded me of the book 'The Art of Racing in The Rain' one of my all time favorites. Check it out if you have not read it yet.
  • britt_fit
    britt_fit Posts: 169
    Options
    I LOVE running in the rain! Granted, it hardly rains here, but one of my favorite runs was in the rain. I think it gives for a fun distraction :happy: I would just look at the temperature and use that to basis to whether you wear capris or pants. If it's not too cold, wearing capris would be less wet material to weigh you down.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    Just be careful of the terrain that you're running on. Make sure you have good shoes on that aren't terribly worn, and if it's too slippy turn around and go home. Better to wait for a dryer day than to slip and hurt yourself. But if you have good shoes and a nice area to run you should be fine. Running in the rain can be very refreshing.
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good way to get sick :huh:

I'd use the eliptical
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! If I go out, it'll definitely be in a baseball hat (wouldn't have thought of that! I just wear a headband) and probably pants, but we'll see what the temp is like at 5:30 tonight when I get home from work! Worst case, elliptical even though I don't enjoy that as much.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I run in the rain almost everyday. I live in Washington and it's always at least lightly sprinkling. I have a rainproof coat that I rainproofed myself with a spray. I also did it to my running shoes. I wear wicking running pants to keep me dry. It works well.
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is great, but like others have said - dress for it and watch your footing - if you're running on sidewalks, you should be fine (but if there is snow on the ground too like there is where I am, it can get really slippery so I tend to wear trail shoes as they are much grippier).
    A breathable waterproof windbreaker is great - some raingear doesn't breathe at all and can be really uncomfortable.
    A ballcap is a must to keep the rain out of your face!!!
    Overall - I would go...there's something so wonderful and peaceful about running in the rain - plus, it will get you out of the house and you'll feel amazing after.
    If you're feeling uncomfortable, you can always do a walk run and go back to your regular schedule (25 min) tomorrow???
    Have fun and enjoy!!!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I actually really like running in the rain. Mostly because I get really hot when I run, so the rain cools me down.

Me too, wear a hat though, keep the rain out of your eyes!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I ran 26.2 miles in some serious rain at the LA Marathon a couple weeks back. Running in the rain is fun (but less after a couple hours).

Tech gear is your friend, cotton is not! Clothes will chafe more and more they get wetter.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I just ran for the day in the rain. Unless its 80 degrees out, I really dont care for running in the rain, but I have to do it otherwise I'd hardly ever get to run.
  • cleigh86
    cleigh86 Posts: 25
    Options
    I ran a half marathon in the rain last summer...my big piece of advice is to put some bandaids on the back of your ankles (where the edge of the shoe hits) if you are wearing low cut socks!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I ran a half marathon in the rain last summer...my big piece of advice is to put some bandaids on the back of your ankles (where the edge of the shoe hits) if you are wearing low cut socks!

Ooooh, that's a really good idea!!! I'll have to write that down.