Is my HRM correct?!

Options
I bought a HRM today, and it is a Zeon Training watch with a chest strap - they have good reviews..

I just finished doing level 2 of the 30 day shred, and I used my HRM during this exercise then pressed stop once I had finished. I looked at the calories lost/burned and it said 378!! Is this correct?

I weigh 138 pounds and I'm 5'9 so weight loss is really hard for me considering I'm already a healthy weight, and I just though the number 378 seemed a bit extravagant for me.. Before I had my HRM I used to log jillian michaels level 1 as just 175ish calories for myself because I counted it as circuit training - but in all honesty I feel like level 1 gets my heart racing more than level 2 if that makes sense?

I'm just a bit confused as to how the number can be so high, I don't believe it!!

Replies

• TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    As long as you've set your HRM, it should be accurate.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how long you were exercising.

But as a comparison, if you ran for an hour at 10 min/mi you could expect to burn around 700 calories.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    HRM's are always accurate with the chest strap. :)
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how long you were exercising.

But as a comparison, if you ran for an hour at 10 min/mi you could expect to burn around 700 calories.

Oh, sorry, most people on the site are familiar with the DVD so I completely forgot haha! It is only a 24 minute workout (that includes about 4 minutes of stretching, so 20 minute intense workout)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    It seems high to me for just a 25 min workout, but your body could just burn more than me. Did it seem like your HR was pretty high the whole time? I usually burn about 120-140 and am 5'4" 138 lbs. I could probably work harder and burn more but I doubt I'd ever get it over 200 calories. Everyone is different though.
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It seems high to me for just a 25 min workout, but your body could just burn more than me. Did it seem like your HR was pretty high the whole time? I usually burn about 120-140 and am 5'4" 138 lbs. I could probably work harder and burn more but I doubt I'd ever get it over 200 calories. Everyone is different though.

Yeah, when I'm exercising my heart rate seems to feel high during the whole workout, which is pretty evident as my face and sometimes my arms/legs get a bit red from all the blood pumping through me haha! But I just thought it was kinda high considering I've been told since I'm a healthy BMI that it is more difficult for me to burn calories compared to someone who was the same height as me and 180 pounds for example, (compared to my 138).
    HRM's are supposed to be pretty spot on though, which is why it amazed me so much
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't know that seems kind of high to me....almost 16 calories a minute!!! But this is coming from someone who can work her booty off and still only burn 8 calories a minute :(
  • rozarotti
    rozarotti Posts: 139
    Options
    I bought a new HRM with chest strap, and I have been doing the 30 day shred and mine is showing around 150 cals burned. I also checked my heart rate to make sure it was accurate and it was dead on. Im 5ft 5in around 125lbs. Your HRM seems very high. I thought level one was higher intensity as well, but then I compared my heart rate to the others and its about the same. :)
    Good luck
    Misty
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My HRM arrived in the post this morning ... its nothing flashy, just what I could afford. I've been sitting infront of the TV for an hour with it on and it says my heart rate is 203 average and my highest is 244?!?!?! Surely thats not correct?
  • yeukai
    yeukai Posts: 7
    Options
    will you be my friend
  • afyfe1999
    afyfe1999 Posts: 16
    Options
    My HRM arrived in the post this morning ... its nothing flashy, just what I could afford. I've been sitting infront of the TV for an hour with it on and it says my heart rate is 203 average and my highest is 244?!?!?! Surely thats not correct?

I would have to doubt that amount. I have a really HIGH heart rate and even running, my highest is usually in the 180's.
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

I would have to doubt that amount. I have a really HIGH heart rate and even running, my highest is usually in the 180's.

Weirdest thing - I just sat up in the chair (i was slouching before) and its gone down to 55 .... lol so weird :noway: