WHEY protein shakes

Options
waverly9876
waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
Hey! I have Targets whey protein mix that is Vanilla Creme. I was wondering how to make a filling smoothie. I heard that water is better than milk in it. Any easy ideas for me to have to fill me up. Thanks!

Replies

• inkdgirl
    inkdgirl Posts: 79
    Options
    i mix in unsweetened almond milk, ground flax seed and blueberries!
  • afluegel
    afluegel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the Walmert Whey Protein shake almost everyday after my workout. I blend with 1 cup 1%milk and 1T of peanut butter. It is very yummy and also very filling... I have had with water on days i'm high in calories but really don't care for the water.
  • waverly9876
    Options
    Where do I get flax seed?
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Flax is extremely healthy for you - especially if you're looking to put on some lean muscle - but it CAN make some protein shakes very "snotty" in texture. I generally just mix mine with water; I use a whey protein base with micellar casein, so I think it's plenty filling. If you like, though, fresh fruit is ALWAYS good.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many cals you are willing to add.

I make mine with skim milk sometimes and that adds 80-90 cals and like 8 grams of protein.

When I need more cals I mix it with peanut butter and oats. Or throw in a banana.
  • RuePaul
    RuePaul Posts: 12
    Options
    add banana and skimmed milk, filling and tasty.
    or add strawberry's with natural yog and oats
    or oats, a peach mango and natural yog mmmmmm

Im hungry now

Rue
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Where do I get flax seed?

You can get bags of ground flax at Safeway in the baking/flour section. Otherwise, most health food "Good Earth" type stores will have flax seed.
  • tlkoehl
    tlkoehl Posts: 27
    Options
    mix it in with you favorite yogurt and milk and use it as a meal replacement:bigsmile: Personally I like mine with milk rather than water, plus I also use skim milk:ohwell:
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mix it with water, and your choice of berries, bananas, or your favorite fruit, and blend until smooth. You can substitute milk for water, or throw in a little yogurt to thicken it up. Either way, it should wind up pretty filling.
  • waverly9876
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • rustymcintyre
    Options
    The mixes themselves with water can be a good filler, snack, or recovery food by themselves. In any case, use a good blender and put in the recommended water, and then add some ice cubes (about 1 cup). The ice helps to get a better mix.

As for a smoothie with it, I like to put in some fiber-one yogurt, a little cereal, a banana, and a sweet berry of some sort. I also think that with vanilla, granola and apples work good also (avoid using juice as it makes it too sweet).

I have not tried the mix from Target and cannot say how it tastes or works. I do know that muscle milk and MM light taste great and have really helped me rebuild myself and slim down over the last few months. MM gets my recommendation if the Target brand does not appeal.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    One of the girls in my group mixes it with Crystal Light and now they have that new MIO which is really good too!
  • crissa413
    crissa413 Posts: 67
    Options
    I add any kind of fresh fruit I have at the time - banana, strawberries, blueberries, etc. - and ground flaxseed (my husband also puts yogurt in his) and blend it all together. It's yummy!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Another change you can do if you get tired of shakes and have room for cals before a long workout

1 scoop protein
    1/2 cup oats
    1 TBS peanut butter
    *whatever else you wanna mix in*

Add small amounts of water and stir. Leave it a thick consistency. Throw in freezer for a bit.

Tastes like no bake cookies if you get it right. Depends on brand of protein
  • waverly9876
    Options
    Dumb question guys
    If I want to add my carbmaster vanilla yogurt, do I also add water too? YES THIS IS A DUMB QUESTION...SORRY