Ladies: How do I control my diet during my monthly

Options
All i want to do is eat and not so healthy things either.

Also is it normal for the scale to move up some when you started your period. I feel like i gained weight all of a sudden.

Replies

• mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am soooo ravenous the week before. Not just cravings or munchies..my stomach is growling! It's unbearable! I was thinking of trying an appetite supressant just during this time - like Dexatrim or something. Anyone had any success and no side effects from any OTC?

I also gain 2 lbs overnight. It used to be more like 5, but I've leveled out a lot lately. It magically goes away when all is done, so I don't stress it. I just try not to nudge it up even more. It's all water.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Medical professionals will tell you that PMS cravings are all in your head. Nearly everyone here that owns a uterus will tell you otherwise.

Your body is preparing every month for an extra process that requires energy. Shedding the uterine wall and producing new cells *requires* calories. Try sticking with high protein snacks that are low in sodium. Sometimes your cravings are surprisingly healthy when you actually look at the nutritional value...

...I crave dark dark DARK chocolate. When I put it (85% cocoa dark chocolate bar) on my food diary this month I was surprised to see that it's *very* high in iron. Makes sense that I crave it. Hopefully you'll see that your wants are really close to a need, too. :-)

Most people claim to pack on five pounds and lose it right after. It's likely just water weight from high sodium snacks. Most women try to grab for *diet* snacks out of guilt. Most of these are SO high in sodium! Check the labels.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes.

Water weight is a pain, but it will go away. Just keep focused and keep doing what you're doing! My weight goes up about 5 lbs (water) and it returns to where I was before ToM, sometimes I see a slight weight loss with my cycle.

The long and short, it's normal.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    Try to find compromises as far as food goes, if you're craving chocolate the Chocolate Chex Mix is very satisfying (I like the Turtle version). Maybe stock up on low fat ice cream or baked chips. I try not too each to much of that stuff during the rest of the month, but it's nice to indulge a little when I'm feeling cranky.

I always feel a little heavier when I'm on my period, I usually just don't weigh myself during it.
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It is completely normal to have some weight gain during your cycle. Mostly due to bloating and water wait. I am having to maintain during that week. But any gains usually come of the following week.
  • lllazarus
    lllazarus Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes it is normal. Don't let it discourage you. I weigh myself a week after it stops. If your gonna eat, eat the healthy stuff or find low calorie treats that will satisfy the sweet tooth we mostly have during that time of the month. My favorite is the weight watchers english toffee ice cream.
  • TescherTK
    TescherTK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I usually crave everything when I'm PMSing. Especially fast food. Sometimes I give in. But I always account for the calories, and I continue to exercise regularly. Even if I don't eat junk, I always gain 1-2 lbs right before and during my period, but I find that I lose it right after and go back to what I was (or less if I've been good!).
  • cleigh86
    cleigh86 Posts: 25
    Options
    I usually gain around 5 the week before...I agree with some of the other posters...I don't weigh myself that week at all! No sense in getting discouraged over the water weight...
  • lllazarus
    lllazarus Posts: 11
    Options
    I take Mega T Green Tea dietary supplements to help control my appetite and I have not had any side effects. I also drink alot of greent tea.
  • travelprincess
    travelprincess Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I suggest Valium and Vodka.
    No just kidding. Well since we can't sleep our way through TOM we just have to tough. Try to exercise a little more and chew jump when you are hungy.
    Typically we gain 3-7 lbs so you are not imagining it.
    Good Luck.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i buy a bar of Lindt Chocolate with Sea Salt, hide it from my hubby, and nibble on it throughout that time of the month - i have a serving per day as a treat. it kills my salt and chocolate cravings at once :) i just budget it into my day.