Cheap, and I mean CHEAP recipes

Options
AngieOnTheBeach
AngieOnTheBeach Posts: 44 Member
I have about 20 dollars to last me the next 2 weeks, so I need 28 meals (lunch and dinner). I still want to eat healthy though, so I'm trying to avoid the Mr. Noodles route.
I have stir fry, but I mean, otherwise I can't really think of cheap meals. I'm a vegetarian, as well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• inkdgirl
    inkdgirl Posts: 79
    Options
    brown rice and dried beans with a little taco seasoning.. cheap and easy, and filling
  • ktraubert
    ktraubert Posts: 29
    Options
    bump
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Veggie wraps, add brown rice and greek yogurt to fill you up and get protein to keep you fuller longer.
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    big bag of celery sticks and laughing cow cheese! delicious, and really cheap
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and bread? In season veggies shouldn't be too badly priced.. or frozen ones. A package could last you a couple meals. Or maybe make a chili from canned beans & veggies - generally decently inexpensive, and when I make a big batch it pretty much lasts me 1 meal per day for two weeks.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to stick with rice and beans, sounds like. Some great recipe ideas on http://www.brokeandhealthy.com

Another idea - do you have a blood plasma center nearby? You can always give plasma and they give you from $15-20 per hourlong visit. And you can go twice a week.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I agree, beans and rice are quite delicious and satisfying. Steel cut oats can be made with water and are super cheap
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    Eggs?

Pasta with oregano, basil and olive oil as seasoning.
    Make a tomato sauce (make 3 or 4 cans), 3 onions, (add some frozen green beans or peas)and some garlic. You'll have pasta/rice sauce for many many days...
    Cook onions and garlic first, then add the cans of tomatoes. Add some sugar, no salt to remove the acidity of the tomatoes. Simmer/cook the sauce for a long time, it will taste much better!
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    I've been unemployed for a long time... I keep:

- rice
    - potatoes
    - eggs
    - milk
    - beans
    - oats
    - spaghetti
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I survive on about the same...

eggs, oatmeal, frozen veggies, cereal and milk...
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    Oh, and cottage cheese and apples.

I know it seems counterintuitive to healthy eating, but if you've gotta make that money stretch, try to focus on cheap, calorie dense foods that will carry you closer to your calorie needs. That's why i say potatoes and not lettuce.
  • bear0568
    bear0568 Posts: 2
    Options
    Egg drop soup is very cheap to make and it can make many meals
  • AngieOnTheBeach
    AngieOnTheBeach Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys! Hopefully I can get through this tough time without starving myself too much! :P
  • ronchap
    ronchap Posts: 60
    Options
    vegetarian chili...lg can of tomatoes 3 or 4 cans of beans and a chili seasoning pak about 3 meals or so
  • Diem30
    Diem30 Posts: 92
    Options
    You're going to have to stick with rice and beans, sounds like. Some great recipe ideas on http://www.brokeandhealthy.com

Another idea - do you have a blood plasma center nearby? You can always give plasma and they give you from $15-20 per hourlong visit. And you can go twice a week.

Sorry I found this a bit funny, sell plasma for food money! ha sorry but it is a good idea and a good thing to do for others so I'd seriously consider it no matter how funny i think it sounds upon first glance
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    1 eggplant
    1 tomato
    1 onion
    1 tsp garlic minced
    1 tbsp oil
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Cut all veggies into square pieces. Then mix with garlic, oil, and vinegar in big bowl. Pour into glass caserole pan. Put in oven for 20 min at 425 degrees. It is delicious and cheap! Enjoy.
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Adudynski
    Adudynski Posts: 31
    Options
    we live off of that too! My favorite cheap meal is ...well we call it veggie stew but we kind of just made it up lol... its 1 reg can of tomato sauce, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can of rotel, 1 can any beans you want, and a bag of mixed veggies. dont drain anything just pour it all together and cook...sometimes I put some low fat sour cream in it
  • Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    fresh veggies are tough, depending on the market... but frozen ones would be smart as they are normally cheaper. Rice & beans sound the way to go.

Also, check out "Poor girl eats well" You might have to sift a little but I go there when I need some budget friendly veggie dishes. :-)
  • SaraTonin
    Options

Sorry I found this a bit funny, sell plasma for food money! ha sorry but it is a good idea and a good thing to do for others so I'd seriously consider it no matter how funny i think it sounds upon first glance
    LOL! I was going to say when I posted it... Burns a ton of calories. Lmao!