Thoughts on muffins?

Options
I've been looking at muffin calories and nutrition facts and for a muffin some are 200 some are 300+ calories!! I feel like blueberry, banana or chocolate or any muffin isn't the healthiest choice for a breakfast snack or a snack in general. What are your opinions on muffins?

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you make your own, you can get them to fewer calories. Use applesauce in place of oil, egg whites in place of whole eggs, whole wheat flour in place of white. Plug those changes into the recipe calculator on this site and see what comes up. Store bought muffins are terrible, and the boxed ones (made per the box) aren't much better.
  • cleigh86
    cleigh86 Posts: 25
    Options
    Cooking Light has some really good muffin recipes, and so does the Vitamin G blog on Glamour.com...definitely make your own!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    BLUE BERRY MUFFINS, LOVE THEM, RARELY EAT THEM AND ONLY FRESH FROM BAKERY!!!
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Get the VItamuffins. They are only 100 calories and have tons of fiber and vitamins. They are so good. If you sign up for the website www.vitalicious.com, you get coupons every week. My favorite is the deep chocolate vitamuffin. YUM!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Watch packages very closely on store-bought muffins. Convenience store / gas station ones can "look" ok at 200 calories, til you realize that's for 1/4 of the muffin. Who eats 1/4 of a muffin.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I really like Krusteaz brand...

They arent' bad. and if you make a box that has 12 servings in it for two muffins its about 400 calories.

I make them in the six muffin tin, that way they look bigger!

I love the banana nut ones, the fat isn't outrageousand neither is the sugar, especially if you substitute applesauce for oil, and 2% milk for skim milk.

they taste the same. and the apple sauce makes them fluffier and more moist.

Its my favorite!

Bran muffins are also really low calorie, and then you can throw dark chocolate chips and again subsititute the applesauce for oil. and it gives them a little more flavor, they don't have much other wise.
  • jillbarnes
    Options
    I agree with making your own!

I made Strawberry White Chocolate Chip Muffins with Almonds the other day. My calculations came up with 54cal per mini-muffin. I used applesauce instead of oil and split the flour (half white, half whole wheat). I also do the same substitutions for Zucchini Chocolate Chip muffins and they are delicious!
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Orange Bran Muffins

Ingredients:
    3 containers Yoplait - Light - Orange Creme Yogurt
    1 egg - slightly beaten
    Vegetable Oil 1/4 cup
    All Purpose Flour, 1.25 cups
    Dark Brown Sugar 1/2 cup
    Fiber One - Original Bran Cereal - 1 cup
    Salt 1/2 tsp
    Baking Soda 1.25 tsp

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    Crush cereal.
    Mix all wet ingredients in a bowl.
    Add all dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
    Separate mix into 12 space muffin tin.
    Bake for 17 minutes.

Per Muffin:
    Calories 157
    Fat 5
    Protein 3
    Fiber 3
    Chol 16
    Sodium 144
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I make my own - good recipes at www.eatingwell.com I just made another batch of their banana-blueberry muffins YUM!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you find the right bran and oatmeal muffin recipes, they are super healthy!

It's just hard to figure out which ones don't need a big slab of butter to taste like they aren't cardboard.

I really like apple cinnamon bran muffins. The cinnamon masks the cardboard nicely.
  • bear0568
    bear0568 Posts: 2
    Options
    I make the Krusteaz fat free wild blueberry mix. 130 calories and zero fat. I find these a really moist too for fat free ones.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have a VERY healthy muffin recipe for you. Let me go grab it. It has no oil. :):)
  • sharaleeb
    sharaleeb Posts: 32
    Options
    Hungry Girl also has some great recipes for muffins! Low cal and delish!
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i felt the same, id love to eat a blueberry muffin but not worth the cals, i found a recipe in the better homes and garden book i have, it cam eout to like 100 and something calories, it wasnt the best muffin i had but it wasnt bad, and it was healthy and not that many calories, if u want the recipe, just email me.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I make my own with oatmeal, skim milk, egg whites, applesauce, and raisins (and a bit of baking soda, powder, and salt)... I can eat two for 225 calories and they're super filling! I agree, you are best off to make them yourself!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/204389-1-minute-flax-muffins

sub various things for oil and egg such as bananas, applesauce, pumpkin
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Heard this the other day on the radio, which is funny and food for thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-u4IwXkbE

I like the suggestions with recipes by other members. Something to keep in mind: a Costco chocolate muffin has 690 calories.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    The blueberry ones at my local grocery store are 590 calories! And high fat! My family eats them and I have to try to ignore them just sitting there on the counter, knowing they taste sooo good.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Heard this the other day on the radio, which is funny and food for thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-u4IwXkbE

I like the suggestions with recipes by other members. Something to keep in mind: a Costco chocolate muffin has 690 calories.

Oh but is every darn calorie worth it Every now and then! they are sooooooooooooooooooo good! haha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Costco Is bad! A tiny slice of their cheese cake is like 450 calories. YIKES!