Going to bike Seattle to Portland with 40 lbs less this year

Options
Last year I rode in the Seattle to Portland bike ride (207 miles) and did so at 230 pounds. Made it fine, but want to see if it might be easier this year (especially up the hills) if I ride it at my high school weight of 190 pounds. MFP is an excellent tool to make that happen. If it was just pure diet, probably wouldn't do it. But since I'm able to ride anywhere from one to four hours a day (on either my real-world ICE trike) or on my stationary (since Seattle doesn't know that spring has arrived)...and eat those calories, doesn't feel the least like a diet. But does make me far more conscious of what I put in mouth. Also, just want to see if a 60-year-old guy can get back down to his fighting weight!

Replies

• FatBastard6135
    Options
    WOW .. 207 Miles!!!

Good Luck :drinker:
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    207 miles:)) You're awesome!!!
  • jen4health
    jen4health Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I really want to try the STP this year. It would be my first time. I bet you'll notice it's easier and you'll probably have a faster time when you drop 40 lbs.
  • CoastieGMWife
    Options
    At least its a beautiful sunny day today!!

Congrats on the weightloss and biking from Seattle to P-town sounds really fun. I would imagine it will be even more enjoyable this time without the extra baggage. ;)

Support from across the Sound <3
  • dagza
    dagza Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Excellent target!

The furthest I have rode (in 1 session) is around 72 miles on my road bike. I would love to break 100 miles on my road bike this year. I also have the cost to coast (England - west to east 120 miles) on my radar for this this year on the mountain bike but it has been on the list for 3 years now so I would suggest nobody place bets on it.

Good luck ;-)
  • badblood
    badblood Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    And don't forget the 7 Stanes next year or the year after, training is now underway!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Hey - if you do it in one day you get a special T-shirt, right? Good luck on the STP!
  • amazondan
    amazondan Posts: 35
    Options
    I just keep envisioning that as I'm climbing up one of the many hills that I get to toss four 10-pound bags of sugar off my bike!!! Great image. Last year was actually relatively easy (of course, I put in a lot of training miles...200-300 miles a week). So if I'm down to my weight should be a literal breeze.
  • amazondan
    amazondan Posts: 35
    Options
    I think so...but then you really miss out on all the camaraderie and festivities during stop at mid-way point. Two days is just quite pleasant.
  • Kebennett1
    Options
    Hi there! Just want to welcome you! I love this site and find it very helpful in many, many weighs:laugh: I really love watching my ticker change as I lose weight! That is so much incentive! The calorie counter is fantastic! The support from other members is unending! I pray you are successful in your weight loss endeavor and achieve a healthy balance in your life!

I am 49 years old, have lost 39 pounds so far and yes, I did have Lap-Band surgery to assist me after decades of playing the yo-yo game with no success! Now it is all about eating healthy, eating small portions and exercising! I just had a hysterectomy April 1st so I have a little recovery time before I can hit the gym, but I can't wait!

I pray I reach my goal before the beginning of October as my husband and I are renewing our vows for our Silver Anniversary. WOW, 25 wonderful years!

I pray you have much success in your biking!