21 stalks of asparagus

Options
beckymike36
beckymike36 Posts: 105 Member
I picked up some fresh asparagus at the store today but have no idea how to cook them or a good recipe for them, anyone have any suggestions????

Replies

• bmmiller4
    bmmiller4 Posts: 39
    Options
    I personally do not like asparagus but my Mom steams hers. She also eats it raw as part of a veggie tray.
  • lbtewksbury
    lbtewksbury Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I marinate them in spices and olive oil and put them on the grill, they get crispy at the top, they are absolutely delicious.....
  • zumba66girl
    zumba66girl Posts: 136
    Options
    I love Asparagus Steamed.:love:
  • summer_anne
    Options
    just throw them in the oven for 10 minutes w/ some nonstick spray to get them roasted and you are good to go! Add garlic for extra flavor or mix it into some brown rice
  • Ultimate_Goal
    Options
    Drizzle with a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Sea Salt and Black Pepper then Grill them on the BBQ.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Cut into 1" pieces. Cook in a fry pan with olive oil and salt and pepper.

Roast in a pan in the oven at 350 until done (also with olive oil and salt/pepper). You will be amazed at how few calories asparagus has when cooked in this manner!!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I love mine grilled this time of year. Little drizzle of olive oil and some garlic, pepper and grill them. Squirt with a little bit of lemon juice. Serve with a little bit of butter.....

Just cut off the ends (or break them, I just find it easier to cut off the bottom half inch for big ones or bottom quarter inch for skinny guys)

The bigger ones are better grilled and the skinny ones are better steamed or boiled.
  • alynk
    alynk Posts: 27
    Options
    Grilled asparagus is the best! :love:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I marinate them in spices and olive oil and put them on the grill, they get crispy at the top, they are absolutely delicious.....

I can't stand asparagus but this sounds yummy! I can eat all kinds of grilled veggies!
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    yea put them on some tin foil and add olive oil and salt and pepper and throw them on a bakin sheet in the oven till desired softness or throw them on the grill with the EVOO and salt and pepper, SO GOOD! so easy! :)
  • MommyofBoys
    Options
    I steam them or boil them, then I put some margarine and lemon juice on them....so good.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You can get an asparagus cooker if you like them steamed. My wife cooks them in a frying pan with olive oil and roasted garlic. Just cook them in a non fat spray butter and they turn out really good.
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    Preheat the oven to 450. Put the asparagus in a pan after breaking the stems (bend them until they break on their own), drizzle some olive oil on top, season with some sea salt and garlic, and bake for 10 minutes. They'll be perfect!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Grill them, steam them, roast them in the oven!

If you can't get through them in time, make soup! Here is my recipe... it's very low fat and delicious!

http://veganlazy.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/asparagus-soup/

5600858033_ff84a0c61c.jpg
  • beckymike36
    beckymike36 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    thx so much for the great ideas!!!
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I like them just steamed or baked, drizzled in olive oil, sprinkled with a lil sea salt, with a squeeze of lemon. Yum!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I grabbed a spoon and tried to put it into that asparagus soup, but my computer wouldn't let me get to it!

Dang, looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good, I want a taste!

EDIT - where did the pic of the soup go? It's beautiful!
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I coat them in 1 tbsp olive oil 1 tbsp red vinegar and lemon pepper and bake them. Love it!
  • poshy
    poshy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,

The best way to eat asparagus is to steam them in the microwave. If you like yours a bit crunchy than do it this way....after cleaning them place in microwavable container (casserole dish etc.) place and space out evenly, depending on how many you have add 1 tablespoon water over it, put Clingwrap or Saran wrap over ir but leave 1 corner open to let steam get out, place in microwave and cook/steam for 2 minites, maybe 3 if you have a lot, when done sqeeze fresh lemon over it and ad a bit of low cal margarine to taste. That is in our books the best way to eat this yummy veggie as it does not lose any flavour.

Ciao
  • forkeeps
    forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Great...now I'm craving asparagus. Good thing I'm going shopping this weekend! :)