Bad weather putting me in a down mood :(

Options
145Karen
145Karen Posts: 80 Member
I am so tired of snow I am a girl that needs SUNSHINE! and when I feel down I look for comfort in high carb food I have not had any junk snacks as of yet I am writing this instead. any suggestions?? Does anyone else feel like this when the sky is black. oh and any one feel free to ad me as a friend I need all the help I can get lol

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Sure but you have to resist the urge and workout at home if you have too! Anything to take your mind off of eating......
  • ahartery9891
    ahartery9891 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Oh I know this feeling - I work in dark settings all the time, so when I see sunlight I nearly jump for joy. It really does a number on you. I wish I could work in an office of all windows!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    When it is gloomy outside, all I want to do is lay on the couch and snack. No snow here, but it's been gloomy and rainy and that sucks.

One of the things that I did is sign up to walk dogs at a local shelter. That way, someone else is depending on me and it doesn't matter if I want to get up and go out there or not. Even if it is rainy, I just think of the little puppies with those sad faces and that usually motivates me to get up and go do it. They need the love and attention and it's a good chunk of time that I'm NOT thinking about how nasty the weather is and wanting to drown that in comfort foods of high fat and carb content.

I also try to find other things to do inside. I have a Wii and I am really big on video games, so instead of grabbing the double dark hot chocolate and tostitos, I play one of my dancing games to burn a few calories and get my mind off the nasty weather.

I also keep a TON of fresh fruit and veggies in the house so that I can talk myself out of grabbing the rich junk snacks and go for an orange or some celery and peanut butter instead. For me, peanut butter has that thick, rich taste without giving me tons of bad stuff and the celery is a perfect carrier for the yummy peanut butter.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I am so with you on this. I've been waiting so long for spring and warm weather to get here....love the sun! I do workout indoors, but am getting really anxious to start doing it outside!
  • SueSee
    SueSee Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi, Karen. I can sympathize with you, to a certain extent. I live in South Texas, where we NEVER get snow. BUT, the wind here has been driving me crazy for the past month. 40mph + every day! I hate to even go outside. I know that our spring is coming, the birds tell me so, and the temperatures are marvelous, but the wind!

So I stay inside and I work out on my elliptical, and try workout DVDs, and the elliptical, etc. And I look for articles on things I can do when the weather gets beautiful again. Because it will. Soon. And it will for you. Maybe you could research what type of physical activities you want to do when the snow leaves. I've been looking at Couch to 5K. Seems promising. I may have time to do it before the temperatures hit 100!

Hope you can find something to do, besides eat junk...
  • 145Karen
    Options
    Thank You for the advice ! I will resist I will turn on kinnect X box and play sounds better than wishing for weather thats not here right now!
  • 145Karen
    Options
    Thanks you have an amazing attitude! it makes me think I can feel better with out food! glad you are my friend! :)
  • 145Karen
    Options
    Yea I keep praying for sunshine here in Utah we get one or two good days but as a rule mother nature is a big tease! but I will keep on keepin on lol
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    there are excellent walking dvds for inside use - exercise makes the snacking less of a problem for me because if I put the effort into exercise I sure want to reap the benefits and not screw it up with snacking
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    yeah...I hear ya. We don't have snow here but it's been cold & rainy the last couple of days. I usually read a juicy book when I'm on the treadmill and I get so into it that I don't even notice anything around me...LOL I have an e-reader and it is really easy to read on the treadmill cause you can enlarge the font and don't have to try to hold down the pages. I know on cold days I crave rich foods too but I usually will make a big pot of low sodium veggie soup in the crockpot. That gives me something to do, something healthy to eat, and it uses up any older veggies hanging out in the fridge...LOL Hang in There...Warmer Weather is Coming!!!
  • 145Karen
    Options
    perfect message! Thanks so much I think wind sucks or blows lol anyway that is hard too especially with warm temps if only days are hard ones. So I am going to play my X box kinnect and get my but movin! Thanks again!
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I have snow at my house too! What happened to Spring? I'm going to do my cardio pilates DVD to lift my spirits.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you too! Working out does help lift the spirits a little - it can be hard to get in the mood to do it but just keep reminding yourself that you'll feel better afterwards. Plus if you burn some calories, you can have a little snack if you want and not go over your daily allotment.

Thankfully we've had fairly nice weather here this week so the snow that fell last Friday is all gone and the sidewalks are clear again so I can go for a nice long walk when it's nice out tomorrow. I don't mind working out in the gym but it's so much better when I can get outdoors and enjoy the fresh air and the views.
  • SueSee
    SueSee Posts: 65
    Options
    We only have a limited amount of days that will be just right for getting out in and really working. Then the heat sets in: We'll hit 95 degrees in June, and it will quickly heat up after that. We're on the coast, so the humidity is really formidible. So I'm really looking forward to getting out while I can. Funny thing is, 7 weeks ago I would have laughed at the idea! Who me? Try running for fun? What the h---? But I really want to try. I want to try different types of workouts and see which ones I like, which ones really get me excited. Because I'm really jazzed about this whole get fit thing now.

I never thought that I'd be getting up early in the morning to work out. My husband still can't believe it. And now it's a habit. I feel bad if I miss my workout time.

Life is funny, isn't it? Hope you find something to get you in an up mood!