Eat but no gym

Options
hey guys, I eat about 1100-1200 calories/ day but I don't go to the gym. My inky excersise is basketball practice for two hours on Tuesdays and walking in school weekdays (bout 30min/day). What will happen if I continue this? Bad things?

Replies

• khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think "bad things," but have read that often, if weight loss is solely based on diet and not exercise, the weight will come back on quicker..... You don't need to go to a gym- just buy some workout DVDs or some weights so you can get in short workouts at home. Good luck!
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    You also need to eat more than 1100 calories. Consume at least 1200 per day. Exercise will do you good of course. How old are you? I would say basketball practice would be enough exercise. I know in high school and college when I was practicing and training I would only do that. Nothing on my own time and I lost weight.
  • owmyballs
    Options
    Khrys is right about the weight coming back quicker. On the days when you play basketball you should really be eating more. Going into starvation mode is extremely counter productive. If you want to keep the weight off, you need to change your entire lifestyle, not just your diet. Good luck and hang in there.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, but the whole working out thing is not absolutely necessary to lose weight. It does help, and if you do the right sort of workouts you could drastically improve you ball skills. I am thinking High Intensity Intervals using body weight and plyometric exercises.

I looked at your profile again, and you definitely need to eat more calories not only because you are an 18 year old male, but because you are within 8 pounds of your goal weight. If a person is obese their body can handle very large calorie deficits. When they are just overweight, they cannot handle as big a deficit. When they just have a little extra fat (say the last 10 or 15 pounds) a big deficit will work for a very short time, but your body will not want to get rid of that last fat. With the large deficit it will use other tissues instead. You need to eat more to lose weight well. I would change your settings to no more than 1 pound a week (maybe even less than that). You not benefiting your health they way, I know you are 18 and don't likely feel you need to worry about that, but realize this, if you take the weight off this way, your bodies first response to eating more normally will be to pack on fat again. If you were to measure you lean weight compared to your fat mass from before you started dieting and after you finish and likely gain the fat back you will find out something more that you might not like, you will have less muscle mass and more fat mass even at the same weigh you started out at.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Sorry...I just noticed your were male:) You should be taking in at lest 1500 calories as a guy.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I definitely think basketball practice and walking is enough exercise (assuming you're moving throughout the whole practice, and getting a good workout). Like many other posters, I'd suggest eating 200 - 300 calories more on the days you practice. In addition, if you want to lose weight faster, add strength training - even if it's just body weight exercises (push-ups, lunges, situps).
  • markhort
    markhort Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym and I've lost 40 odd lbs since July 10. I do walk a lot more though, try and make sure I hit about 10k steps a day.
  • owmyballs
    Options
    I don't go to the gym and I've lost 40 odd lbs since July 10. I do walk a lot more though, try and make sure I hit about 10k steps a day.

I didn't mean to quote you and now I can't get rid of it. Sorry.
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I never work out and I eat my minimum or go over (1200 and on up). I try to keep it at a weekly loss, and I've lost very slowly since I started in Jan. Bump up your cals to your minimum and try not to go under (I used to snack right before bed until I learned how to eat properly so that I am almost never under by more than a few calories). If you don't check before bed you might go too far under.

I just want to repeat: I have consistently lost weight, 20lbs, since starting in Jan, without exercise and without going under my MFP minimum. So it is possible and I do recommend upping your intake to at least your minimum.
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    Mind you I only practice once per week. I also have a basketball court so I could shoot baskets for 20-30min each day. Would that be ok? And I'm 17
  • RichGebs
    Options
  • RichGebs
    Options