trigger foooods!

Options
grr mad at myself, had my trigger foods today, tortilla chips and peanuts. Told myself i wouldnt have a lot so into the bags I went... and i think you know what happens next. I need to stay away from these foods, how do you deal with trigger foods? I usually try to avoid at all costs but when my family buys them, its like they're calling me from the cabinets. HA that sounds insane! any advice for the crazy girl? lol

Replies

• cmehrer
    cmehrer Posts: 10
    Options
    ice cream!!!! i cant resist it! recently i went to the grocery store and they had 12 bar ice cream boxes for $1.50 each on sale!!! needless to say i bought some but i have to really learn to ignore them :(
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just can't have them in the house... mine is potato chips. So I just don't buy them and I tell my husband he'll just have to deal! Lol
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm that way with sweets. Donuts, cookies, cake, that kind of thing. On days that I'm being responsible, I will allow myself to have a small serving after dinner. If I have it earlier in the day, it calls me all day and I just pig out, but if I can hold off until after dinner, I'm usually able to just have one or two without going nuts. If all else fails though, drink a big glass of water and brush your teeth, and rinse with a strong mouthwash. Everything tastes gross after a dose of Listerine. :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    Ice cream for sure
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I have those food. The thing you need to do is make a date with them. It is easier to avoid and put off the temptation if you know when you will be able to indulge.
  • ariasbano
    ariasbano Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I live alone so I NEVER buy my trigger foods. I have the same problem when I go home or out. I actually just tell everyone to keep the cookies AWAY from me. You can tell your family to hide them and ask them not to eat them in front of you. Opt for a huge glass of cold water or gum, they both usually help me!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    For me it's not so much as a trigger food, as it is a trigger "time" (i.e. time of the month)....but salty crunchy....needless to say, I try not to stock any crunchies!
  • ariasbano
    ariasbano Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, brushing your teeth and listerine make a huge difference!
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    basically anything sweet. and sugar is bad.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. I can't buy it because I can easily eat a full tub of ben and jerry's - it just doesn't register when I'm full. Same with cheese. Luckily B&J do frozen yoghurt so if I did desperately want some, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't stop.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I flee as fast a I can. Seriously, Buffalo Wings...HUGE no-no in my house. If we are at a restaurant I give the wings a look of disgust but I am really salivating. I won't even have a bite. Chips, especially the favored ones are another huge no-no. I substitute those with salty snacks, peanuts, rice cakes, pop chips.
  • Kaileyxoxo
    Kaileyxoxo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have those food. The thing you need to do is make a date with them. It is easier to avoid and put off the temptation if you know when you will be able to indulge.
    wow i never thought of it in that way THANK YOU!!
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I look at the serving size, measure it out, and put the rest away. It takes time to be able to stop at that, but its a start, and if you can do it its a good way to be able to still eat your favorite things!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING that comes in a bag! Once my hand goes in just once, I'll be lucky to stop before the bag is empty!!

I just came to this realization recently. :tongue:
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I was watching "The Doctors" today and they said that the best thing is to use freezer bags and freeze your trigger foods. When you are craving it, you take it out...but you have to let it defrost. The time its done, you are over your craving...
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    hmmmm, gotta say ice cream. went grocery shoppin today was craving for blueberry frozen yougurt, they didn't have any. left the aisle then the next thing i know i am walkin back done it and picked up a box of yup you got it ICE CREAM. Got it home and ate some. :ohwell:
  • kayakawaii
    Options
    peanut butter!! i have waaaay more trigger foods (french fries for one!!) but the only thing i have trouble staying away from is peanut butter...
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    If I really must have chips, peanuts, crackers, etc...I go ahead & buy them but then as soon as I get home, I portion them out & put them into zip lock bags. Then when I really need a bit, I grab a bag & go. Sure, sometimes it's hard to stop at just one. But I do much better that the big bag isn't within my reach. Also, if I do cave & go back for seconds, I am at least mindful of what I'm doing. Rather than mindlessly grazing.

Ice cream is more difficult to do this with. And I will plow through a whole pint if I let myself!
  • Kaileyxoxo
    Kaileyxoxo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! good advice, icecream is another for me, a few years ago i could eat all the icecream i wanted, now i really have to be careful with how much i'm eating. But then again I noticed that back then I would take a big portion and be satirfied, now i take a small portion, still hungry then go back for more and more.... and maybe even more, i probably would have had a smaller amount if i had just taken what i wanted in the first place then restriciting myself so much. Its all a head game!
  • abbeylolee
    Options
    peanut butter!! i have waaaay more trigger foods (french fries for one!!) but the only thing i have trouble staying away from is peanut butter...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE peanut butter. It's just ridiculous and it's so high calorie that it can be so dangerous, especially when the spoon just won't stop dippin' in! I was just thinking it would be nice if there were individual sized one-serving packages of peanut butter. I hate that it would be a waste or packaging, but it would help me a lot.
    I LOVE it with oatmeal and banana! Had some this morning in fact.

Another trigger food is just anything carby or processed that will spike my blood sugar, like bread, bakery, pretzels, wheat thins... and then it's like, "Oh well, the day is ruined, yay I get to eat whatever I want."

Starting to find the self control, and it feels amazing to finally be able to say, NO, you are worth it, eat an apple ya crazy lady.