Bodypump class

Options
Deos anyone know the true calorie burn for bodypump class(full body weight lifting) I'm giving it a little over two hundred per hour... I think It maybe a little under....
Help please...:grumble:

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The number of calories burnt depends a lot on your age and your heart rate, and how much weight you lift. It stands to reason that more weight = more calories.

In the brochure by Les Mills about BODYPUMP it says you can burn up to 600 calories a class.
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
    I really think I need a heart rate monitor...... Anyone know what would be the best??
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Well I dont know but I know the perfect person you could ask find member Kim her username is Kimd1972
    She has had so much success she now teaches this class!!! I know by her posting it burns A LOT of calories!!!
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this info!!
    Well I dont know but I know the perfect person you could ask find member Kim her username is Kimd1972
    She has had so much success she now teaches this class!!! I know by her posting it burns A LOT of calories!!!
  • Kimd1972
    Options
    Now, I'm the Kim she is talking about! LOL! Yes, I teach BodyPump and I burn a lot of calories, but I am pushing a lot of weight! Les Mills promotes that the "average size person, using good weight - can burn up to 600 calories per class". Since I am a "larger size person", using more that good weight, I burn more. (Plus, my heart rate gets up because I am talking, yelling, screaming, and motivating others). My best advice is to get a heart rate monitor - I have a Milo that a memeber gave me a few years ago. Several of my current memebers got one from Wal-Mart for about 30 bucks. 200 calories is too low unless you are doing little to no weight!

JMO!
    Kim
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I just started taking BodyPump at my gym - I love it! The first session completely wore me out even with low (1.5 - 3lb) weights. I'm going back tonight and am hoping to improve my weights over time. What a workout! I lift weights and consider myself fairly strong, but this was a whole different ballpark!

Like OP, I was wondering how you guys track this exercise. Would it count as Circuit Training? I don't have a HRM yet, and would like to be able to track this workout in the meantime until I get one. Obviously it depends on level of effort and weight, but can anyone provide a guesstimate?

Thanks!

(PS: Circuit Training for 50 minutes burns about 460 calories for me, which seemed about right??)
  • Alison_84
    Alison_84 Posts: 86
    Options
    A friend of mine has a formula for calculating how many calories you burn during a pump class (although I'm not sure of the source). It's 55(mins) x 0.04 x your body weight. I'm 155 pounds, so according to the formula I burn around 341 calories during the class. Seems reasonable.....
  • kimmiesvogan
    kimmiesvogan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have now been to 2 classes for BodyPump and going to the new release in the morning. For tracking purposes, i have it as high level aerobics at the moment btu not sure how accurate that is either. My friend has a bodybugg but her body size/structure is different than mine.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Hey - i wore my heart rate monitor last week to body pump and i burned 350 cals for the hour... bear in mind im only 105lbs and 5'6 so you may burn more/less depending on your stats and how heavy you lift
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Great topic. Thanks for asking. My gym has this and I have toying with checking out. I am going to take the class for sure now. Sounds great.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    That's about what I get, so unfortunately it sounds right, but think of the awesome toning and muscle build you get from that class!!!