Sushi

Options
Hey all...hope you are having a fabulous Friday!

So I'm going out for sushi tonight for the first time since I started eating healthy. Can you guys tell me what the healthiest option is and what to avoid?

Thanks and have a great weekend!!

Jennica

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Check out the Hungry Girl Guide- I don't agree with every suggestion she makes, but her analysis of the sushi is accurate (ie-tempura = fried; sashimi=less rice)
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Errr... no idea. But the food tracker has tons of sushi rolls (I know I found Rainbow roll, Eel roll, and Tuna rolls the last time I went out). Maybe trying plugging a few good looking ones into your log and seeing what works?
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    its sushi u cant really go wrong, unless u go with fried shrimp (tempura) or lots of sauces (spicy mayo)... raw fish/rice/seaweed! good choice already!.. even miso soup and a salad are ok! enjoy! im jealous! lol
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you know the restaurant you're going to check and see if they have the nutritional information on their website. If not, try to anticipate what you'll eat ahead of time and look to see the calorie content on other sites of similar items. Sashimi (just raw fish) is always good and low calorie. If you like rolls order just one for yourself and don't get any that have fried things in them. I estimate a roll, depending on the size and restaurant, to be around 500 calories.
  • sandiexcandie
    sandiexcandie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i know that when i was doing weight watchers, it told me salmon was the worst, bc its the fattiest. anything that isnt fried or heavy in sauce would be my best bet.
    so try going for some dragon rolls or spicy tuna or really any of the fresh fish/vegetable rolls :)
  • jessica05h
    Options
    I looked up California Rolls and Veggie Rolls and they both seem to be under 400 calories for 6 pieces. I found that 6 pieces and a bowl of the mushroom soup was more than enough to fill me up.
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    stay away from any tempura or fried udon... I stick to salmon, tuna and squid sashimi. I might treat myself to one crisp spicy tuna roll....... Oh and the soya sauce.... careful with that sodium :p
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I usually just get a cali roll and some edimame.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    obviously not a perfect prediction of what all you'll be having; but it give an idea:

http://fatlossschool.com/calories-in-sushi/
  • skelly013
    skelly013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eat sashimi primarily as it has no rice. If you prefer rolls and are trying to stay really healthy then avoid the ones with sauces (ie. dragon roll, or any of the other with the sweet brown sauce). Good luck, I love sushi, great omega's too.
  • minicakeumz
    Options
    Some choices I usually get are seaweed salad, miso soup, edemame, tuna poki, and sashimi. When I give myself a treat, I usually have a spicy scallop hand roll or spicy tuna hand roll.
  • dwellsouth
    dwellsouth Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Me :heart: sushi!
    Click the FOOD tab up top, then database and plug in some of the fishies you like, rice, etc. to get an idea of how much to consume (or not).
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I had 2 pieces of Red Snapper sushi (this is raw fish on top of rice, not a roll), a shrimp cucumber roll (6 pieces) , and a spicy tuna roll (6 pieces). all of that was 540 calories. The Hungry Girl guide is pretty good. Just know that Sashimi is only fish, no rice. And it's raw fish! Anything tempura is going to be higher calories and FRIED! and a california roll will be higher because of the avocado, but that is healthy fat!!!
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Here's what I had for sushi last week:
    A bowl of miso soup
    1/2 edamame appetizer
    4 pieces sushi (with rice)
    4 pieces sashimi (without rice)
    Took half the rice from each sushi piece and paired it with a sashimi piece, so each bite had a bit of rice.
    Asked for low sodium soy sauce, used about 2 tsp.
    Total calories for that meal: 525

Enjoy your yummy dinner! :)
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If you really want to stay on the healthy path at a Japanese restaurant, sashimi is your best bet. Each rice roll has appx 1/2 cup to 1 cup of white rice...if they have brown rice options, great but I can almost guarantee most restaurants won't. You are best to start with a cucumber salad or spinach salad (goma ae) if they have one, tell them to go easy on the sesame dressing, follow by a cup of miso soup, then a sashimi platter or sashimi of your favorite fish. if you want to make it more of a meal, order a bowl of white rice to go with it but eat half. Go easy on the soy, the sodium is a killer.

Source: Family owns a Japanese restaurant and mom's a chef..
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with everyone else. Ask if they have low-sodium soy sauce, most places do.
  • squink1980
    Options
    Holy crap, you guys are amazing!! Thanks for the advice! Eating out is always a little freaky when you're trying to eat healthy, but at least I will be more prepared this time!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    i know that when i was doing weight watchers, it told me salmon was the worst, bc its the fattiest. anything that isnt fried or heavy in sauce would be my best bet.
    so try going for some dragon rolls or spicy tuna or really any of the fresh fish/vegetable rolls :)

The fat in salmon are GOOD fat, EAT it!!!

Rolls are packed with rice and big calories in those. Usually easily over 200 for 4 rolls.

Sashimi, any sashimi, is your friend. Grilled fish, any fish, is awesome!

Yes, watch out soy sauce, most the sauce, go easy on those.

Ask for salad dress on the side (a rule you should use for all places), so you can control how much dressing you put in.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I always get seaweed salad, eat it SLOW and sashimi.
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    mmmmm stay away from all sauces.. stay away from fried... sashimi is better than sushi and ask if they have brown rice instead of white... some places do... vegetable ones like asparagus,sweet potato,cucumber, are good... tuna,yellowtail and salmon are good... no cream cheese!!! no salad dressing!( take your own).. and no egg (tamago)... edamame appetizer is a great option... enjoy it!!!