Donuts

Options
Did you know that, if you eat one of those lovely strawberry frosted donuts, it amounts to 240 calories? Not a great deal I know, but...it also contains 10 grams of fat !!! :noway:
To walk off that donut, it'll take 48 minutes at a brisk pace - now ask yourself, is it really worth being tempted?

I don't even wanna think how much a jam donut contains :noway:

Happy weekend guys :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Did you know that, if you eat one of those lovely strawberry frosted donuts, it amounts to 240 calories? Not a great deal I know, but...it also contains 10 grams of fat !!! :noway:
    To walk off that donut, it'll take 48 minutes at a brisk pace - now ask yourself, is it really worth being tempted?

• finarose
    Options
    THanks for this information...now i will try ti avoid donuts....i don't wanna put so much wait only by eating donut
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a chocolate frosted Boston creme donut....and, that one probably contains 500 calories!
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a chocolate frosted Boston creme donut....and, that one probably contains 500 calories!
    yum mine too :sad: i want one!
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Mine too....Well, that and apple fritters!!
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    I love pineapple fritters - not had any for years, not eat them now either :sad:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Jelly Filled Donut
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 donut
    Calories 270
    Calories from Fat 90
    Total Fat 10g 16%
    Saturated Fat 4.5g 23%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 350mg 14%
    Total Carbohydrates 39g 13%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 5%
    Sugar 12g
    Protein 4g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0%
    Iron 6%

What really struck me was the 0's in the nutrition factors-no vitamins at all!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    1 cup canola oil -- for frying donuts
    1/2 cup butter -- melted
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    2 tablespoons splenda
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup soy protein powder,chocolate -- see note*
    1/4 cup splenda -- for garnish

-Heat oil in pan at medium heat. Oil should be at least an inch deep.
    -Mix the remaining ingredients except for the Splenda in order given in a medium-sized bowl.
    -Blend thoroughly with a whisk or electric mixer.
    -Drop by rounded tablespoonsful into the oil.
    -Fry until the edges begin to look cooked, then use a slotted spoon to flip the fritter.
    -Allow to cook for another minute or so.
    -Remove with a slotted spoon and place on plate.
    -Sprinkle Splenda over the fritter, flip it and sprinkle more on the other side.

-14 Fritters @1.2 minus 0.1 gr. fiber= 1.1 carbs
    -They are especially good when fresh from the pan, crispy on the outside but
    light and fluffy inside.I added a sprinkle of cinnamon to the batter & then
    rolled them in cinnamon sugar!
    -*I use Pro Performance Soy Powder & buy it at GNC {CW}

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/snack112.html

Donut Holes (Low Carb) Recipe

1 cup soy protein isolate
    1/2 cup water (more as needed)
    1 egg, beaten
    2 tablespoons sour cream
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    3 packets Sweet N Low or other sweetener
    ***Coating***
    3 packets Sweet N Low or other sweetener
    1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

Combine protein powder, egg, sour cream, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, half of the sugar, and water in a bowl. Combine until thick and blended. Add more water if mixture is too thick. Form the mixture into balls about the size of an egg. Deep fry in hot oil until golden. Drain on paper towels. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon. Roll hot donuts in coating.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/272/Donut_Holes_Low_Carb51114.shtml
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

I used to work at a donut shop. Did you know that filled donuts (like the jelly ones, boston cream, etc) actually contain FEWER calories and less fat. This is because when they are fried, filled donuts have less surface area. Thus the oil touches less of the pastry. So actually, if you're going to have a donut, a filled one is a better choice.
    ps- if you really want to beat the donut craving, work at a tim hortons for a day. :sick: Trust me, you'll never want one again.
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Yreah I guessed that filled ones were less cal etc.
    I gave the old donuts the heave ho a good few months ago, and not looked back since, just thought it might help others to know :happy:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I so get tricked by the calories...

240 doesn't seem like a lot if you were doing a donut for breakfast!

I realize the 10g of fat and sugar is sky high, but I expected to hear they are more.
  • Jackie_W
    Options

I realize the 10g of fat and sugar is sky high, but I expected to hear they are more.

It is high when you think, that having that donut for breakfast isn't going to fill you up, so you'll be starving by lunchtime and grabbing anything and everything that is calorie laiden :ohwell:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

It's really not that high if you are only having one once in awhile. A donut for breakfast is never a good idea though... no nutrients at all, lol.