Vitamix Blender

Options
Does anyone have one of these? Considering buying one but would like to hear about it with someone who has it already. Thanks :)

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I've used them, don't own one. But, my $50.00 Ninja Prep does just as well. Others will be along to vouch for those majic bullets also.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I used to take the time with the magic bullet buy my regular ol' blender with a detachable base that is DESIGNED to fit on mason jars allowed me to fully replace the bullet.
    Mason jars come in various sizes so you can make servings appropriate for the current crowd :)
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    We bought a refurbished Vitamix from the Vitamix company - cheaper and still has a warranty and all that. We love it. It will chop/blend anything and you can even make hot soup in it - no need to dirty a pot! We use it nearly every day so it's definitely been worth the $ for us. And it's super well-built so I think it'll last forever.
  • rugby1970
    Options
    Girlfriend and I have owned a vitamix for about three years now and love it. We use it practically everyday... lots of uses we didn't expect and sooo easy to clean.

I may sound like a commercial but we use it for so many smoothies and soups. Love that you don't have to worry about pulp like you do with a juicer.

Highly recommended.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I used to take the time with the magic bullet buy my regular ol' blender with a detachable base that is DESIGNED to fit on mason jars allowed me to fully replace the bullet.
    Mason jars come in various sizes so you can make servings appropriate for the current crowd :)

What sort of blender is that? It sound interesting.

I don't have a vitamix, but I have considered it a few times. I just can't justify the price right now. It certainly puts my blender to shame. The last time I saw one demonstrated they made a smoothie with flax seeds in it. With my blender they are chopped up but still very noticeable. In the one made in the vitamix they were completely pulverized. I am looking forward to hearing from actual users as to their experience with it.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have a bullet, and it has been great, but it can't do what a Vitamix can, it just can't handle grains, tough greens or other raw foods. I am planning to order one this week!
  • queenkimie
    Options
    I have been drooling over the vitamix for years! Yes they are expensive, but they do everything...they were on sale at Costco and I got to see ( hug ahem, ) one up close and realized that the sucker is loud! also really big, like wouldn't even fit under my counter. So I got a 30$ Ninja and it works great and at that price if It only lasts a year....oh well.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Highly recommended! I have the Vita-Mix which I bought at Costco for over $350 about 3 years ago and this thing rocks. I love it! It is practically a professional, commercial grade blender like was you see at Starbuck's or other coffee houses. It is 100% made in the US and has a 1HP motor which is heavy duty. Yeah, other blenders get the job done but simply won't last as long. I think Vita-Mix offers a 7 year guarantee. The blender comes with a binder of recipes which have some great ideas. Mostly I just make fruit smoothies and protein drinks about 8-10 times a week.

RANT SECTION: I have no affiliation to this company but more and more I am choosing to buy well-made American-made products. Instead of buying junk I need to replace in a few months, I like the idea of having a good product that helps keep job in America. People often ask why products don't last as long as "the old days". The truth is many are still being made. It's just that we often prefer to buy the disposable stuff that's made in CHINA. In the long run a solid, durable product is cheaper.

PS - These things have high re-sale value like a HONDA. If you look on EBAY you will see you can always sell it for close to what you paid. Or maybe you can get a 2nd hand one?. . .
    Sorry, I didn't want to rant but
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have one, its almost ten years old and works amazingly well still. In the meantime, I've managed to break two Magic Bullets (seriously hate them.) Its pricey, but in my opinion well-worth the cost if you can afford it!
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    I have been looking to puchasing one ... like the idea of doing soups and making things with the whole fruit ... just broke the container on my oster blender last nite .. so I either have to buy a new container or order a vitamix ... ??
  • Pandorian
    Options
    Just for the record my blender is an Osterizer and I lucked into one that the base spins off of the pitcher and will fit onto mason jars, I'm not having much luck finding others that do the same thing but I'm always watching for them at second-hand shops and yardsales. Also looking for more mason jars, but so many places want basically retail price for even used jars without rings / lids.

I was happy to get away from the bullet and its plastics, I use mason jars for my storage here anyway, popcorn, bran fiber, barley, rice, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda..... well anything at all that I need to store, there's mice around and they've never got through a glass jar to the contents.
  • Pandorian
    Options
    RANT SECTION: I have no affiliation to this company but more and more I am choosing to buy well-made American-made products. Instead of buying junk I need to replace in a few months, I like the idea of having a good product that helps keep job in America. People often ask why products don't last as long as "the old days". The truth is many are still being made. It's just that we often prefer to buy the disposable stuff that's made in CHINA. In the long run a solid, durable product is cheaper.

I'm behind you here, though I'm north of the border. I went into a second-hand shop I haven't been to in a couple months and the first thing I saw was a juicer, checked the price and brought it home. Now... the juicer is all aluminum, comes apart into 4 pieces for cleaning and very easily re-assembles.. this things seen some use but it will see many more years of use by ME unlike the plastic juicers I've bought in the past that didn't always deal with the juiced product properly.
    Bonus was when I got home and turned it over, MADE IN CANADA. Just like my "camping" can-opener that folds over and fits in the wallet that I use for opening any canned product. Made in Canada...
  • tmac2529
    tmac2529 Posts: 8
    Options
    what other things do you use other than the norm...smoothies, etc... just trying to get ideas to justify the price for a good smoothie. thank you
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I want one SOOOOOO bad!!!!!! I've seen the demos and actually used one for a few days and I seriously think it's worth it. They are amazing!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Well its great at blending frozen fruit and ice, which in my experience the Magic Bullet sucks at. I also make homemade almond milk, soups, and puree food for my dogs (they eat an all-natural diet and have very few teeth left.) However, I have no experience with mid-range blenders, only the bullet and the vita-mix, a mid-priced one may have good results too?

Mine is 10 years old, I've never had to replace a thing in it (though the blade is beginning to dull) and it runs like a dream. My parents bought it and gave it to me, since they don't use it much.

I probably wouldn't buy it today, but that's because I'm a poor new graduate living in one of the most expensive cities in the country. Once my salary ups a bit, it's an investment I would make again, should I ever need to.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    what other things do you use other than the norm...smoothies, etc... just trying to get ideas to justify the price for a good smoothie. thank you

The recipe book lists tons of stuff you can make. I've made hummus and some hot soups. I know the VitaMix can make mayonnaise, creams, peanut butter, ice cream and on and on. . . Check the VitaMix website.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It can make hot soup with just the blender. Toss various veggies in, some spices, let it go to work and out come a nice hot veggie soup. It can also crush ice and frozen fruit in such a way to make a nice ice-cream like thing right out of it.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i *adore* my vitamix and would buy another immediately if mine disappeared (cuz it's not gonna ever break or wear out). i'm planning to buy a second container for the base because i constantly use it for savory/spicy sauces and sometimes it leaves a spicy flavor in the next days' smoothies ;) yes, expensive and yes, worth it.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Whoa, i just tried to screw a mason jar into my blender's base and it worked! It's a Cuisinart. Very interesting. That will come in handy some time.
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love my vitamix for making frappucchinos and all sorts of smoothies. It really does make a great smoothie.

I ended up buying a food processor to go with it, though. You are supposed to be able to make nut butters and 'ice creams' in the vita mix, but I have had no success with either and cleaning those things off the bottom of the blades on the vitamix was a nightmare. And I would lose a ton of the nut butters because you just can't get down in there to get it all out. I have a rather inexpensive food processor (around $60) that does those things beautifully. The blender attachment on it doesn't make as good of smoothies as the vitamix, though.