After Lap-Band Surgery

Options
I am trying to make sure I get enough Nutrition by what I eat and by supplements after my Lap-Band Surgery. I eat Chicken, Fish, Turkey, Whole Wheat Pasta, All Vegetables (Steamed), Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges, String Cheese, Eggs, Non-fat Cottage Cheese, No added Sugar Apple Sauce, Melon, Apples, Berries, (I am allergic to citrus fruits.), yams, salad greens, rarely white potato baked, rarely grilled liver, I only use Cooking Spray or a tiny bit of Olive oil in my cooking. I eat no breads, crackers, chips, candy- You know, no junk food. I make every calorie count for something my body needs since I can not eat more than 1/4 to 12 cup of food per meal. I also supplement with a protein shake between meals 1/3 bottle between each meal. I take a multiple Vitamin. Is there anything I am missing? I do not get more than 500 or so Calories a day because I can not consume much food at a time. I want to be healthy not skinny!

Replies

• bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You need to have more than 1,000 cals a day, or your body will go into starvation mode. I this means eating every hour, you may need to do this.
  • jsoaper01
    jsoaper01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have had lap band for a year. Your band might be too tight. There will be some things you cant eat like I can t bread at all. I have found that I am low on b12 and D vitamins now. I am sure your doctor will check that.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    How far out are you? After 3 weeks you should be closer to 1000 calories a day..... How many meals are you eating? Should be close to 6 and the protein shake should be about 8oz a day, three times a day.

Are you losing weight?

I had sleeve 4 weeks ago, I am between 800 - 1200 calories a day, can only eat 1/4 or less per meal, 2 11oz protein shakes a day and have lost 18lbs since 3/10. Also exercising about 5-6 days a week.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Have you had a fill or two I presume? I don't hav lap band but had gastric bypass....it will take a bit for your body to recover from that sort of surgery. At first you may only be able to consume that little bit of calories but eventually as you heal that should increase. Talk to your surgeon about what is expected as far as food consumption. Add a meal replacement protien shake or two a day for extra calories and protein. I use light vanilla soy milk and whey protein powder from Walmart then mix whatever I want (usually sugar free caramel torani syrup, instant coffee and ice - presto a protein frapuccino). You will lose weight rapidly at first but it will taper off and eventually you will need to eat more. Your surgeon's office may have more suggestions.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk (not the light) has a lot of calories for a protein supplement so maybe try that for a bit too.
  • care28
    care28 Posts: 28
    Options
    I don't agree with eating every hour if you need to - Lap band rules say to eat 3 times a day, and if you feel you are not getting enough nutrition with that then add a couple nutrient-rich snacks or continue with the protien shakes. I don't think starvation mode is anything to be to concerned about as a lap bander.
    3 years post-op and one who has struggled sticking with the program, I would never recommend anyone stay in the habit of eating constantly throughout the day. Remember, one of the blessed things the lab band causes you to do is to forget about food throughout the day - maybe for the first time in your life.
    It sounds like you're on the right track. Just be careful that you are actually changing your mentallity and your activity level.
  • Kebennett1
    Options
    My fitness pal keeps on telling me that I am not getting enough Calories per day and my body may go into starvation mode. That is a worry I have! If I eat more than a 1/2 cup of food at a time it will make me sick. The surgeon who did my Lap-Band gave me info that says I am only supposed to eat 3 times a day, and I have been following that with the exception of the 1 protein shake I split up between meals. I will get in touch with them and see if I can add an extra small meal or two. Thank you for your response.
  • Kebennett1
    Options
    I had my Lap-Band surgery on Jan 31st 2011. I have had 1 fill. The doctor who did my surgery told me to only eat 3 times a day with no snacks! I added the Protein shake myself. I have lost 39 pounds. He has not checked my blood for Vitamin and Mineral deficiencies. I will contact him and ask for an order! Thank you for the information!
  • care28
    care28 Posts: 28
    Options
    How far post op are you?....Oops. just saw your post
  • Kebennett1
    Options
    I had my surgery Jan 31st 2011. I have had 1 fill about three or four weeks ago. I have just been following the surgeons orders. No more than 1/4 to 1/2 cup food or I will get sick, I feel it with nausea if I overeat, so I don't overeat! Eat 3X daily, no snacks! No bread products sweets, etc..... I don't mind adding the protein shake because I don't drink it all at once and it seems to help give me more energy! I will try to add another and maybe a piece of fruit in between meals and see how that works.
  • Kebennett1
    Options
    Thank you Care28! I have been sticking to the orders completely except for the addition of one Protein shake a day. I have not been hungry between meals. That has not been my concern at all. Only that I am getting enough nutrition! I am sorry to hear you are having a rough time sticking to the rules. I pray you can get back on track! I don't plan on eating all day that is for sure, I do not want to get in the habit of feeding my face again! I have done very well and I don't want an EXCUSE to backslide!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal keeps on telling me that I am not getting enough Calories per day and my body may go into starvation mode. That is a worry I have! If I eat more than a 1/2 cup of food at a time it will make me sick. The surgeon who did my Lap-Band gave me info that says I am only supposed to eat 3 times a day, and I have been following that with the exception of the 1 protein shake I split up between meals. I will get in touch with them and see if I can add an extra small meal or two. Thank you for your response.

Don't go by what MFP is telling you right now. You have a set of special circumstances that isn't accounted for with MFP. I would use this site for support and as a way to count calories but don't worry about starvation mode right now. Just listen to your doctors and your body. You will get through all of this.
  • ANNMILLE
    ANNMILLE Posts: 8
    Options
    I HAVE BEEN BANDED FOR A LITTLE OVER A YEAR... I EAT ABOUT 6 TIMES A DAY... I AM CONCERNED THAT SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT WITH ME AS I HAVE NO TROUBLE EATING, ANYTHING,, AND I MEAN ANYTHING. I AM ABLE TO EAT MORE THAT A CUP AND A HALF. MY BAND HOLDS 14cc AND IT WAS AT 6cc THE LAST FILL. I HAVE CUT MY FOOD INTAKE A LOT AND FEEL I SHOULD HAVE LOST MORE THAN I HAVE.
    DO I EAT SOMETHINGS THAT I SHOULDNT ,, YES... BUT EVEN WITH THAT MY FOOD INTAKE HAS CHANGED A LOT. THE ONLY TIME I FEEL RESTRICTED IS 1. WHEN I FIRST GET A FILL..AND 2. IF I AM UP SET.. THOSE ARE THE ONLY TIMES THAT I FEEL VERY RESTRICTED.
    I GO BACK TO MY DR THE END OF THIS MONTH... I HAVE LOTS OF QUESTIONS.
    MAYBE I DONT GO ENOUGH. I LIVE 3 HRS FROM MY DR. I ONLY GO ABOUT EVERY 3 MONTHS. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM...
    AND YES ,,, YOU SHOULD BE EATING MORE OFTEN.. I WAS TOLD 3 MEALS ,, 3 SNACKS.

120 PROTIENS
    120 CARBS
    27 FATS DAILY....
  • Kebennett1
    Options
    ANNMILLE, If you are able to eat that much it is probably because you have stretched your "pouch" out by beginning to overeat and slowly continuing to do so over a period of time. Now there is more room for food! Your lap-band may also have slipped which could also account for this! Ask your Dr. about that! I have a friend who got her lap-band over a year ago and didn't follow the Dr.s orders, she has only lost 20 pounds! She eats way too much, and anything she wants! The Lap-band can't work properly if you do not follow the diet that goes with it!
  • Kebennett1
    Options
    Mikeyml,
    Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense! I do want to follow up with a blood test for my Vitamin and Mineral count!
  • bootoou
    bootoou Posts: 22
    Options
    yes follow your drs orders.... and go to obesityhelp.com they have a great website for bypass, sleeve, lapbanders and others definnatly check it out...
  • ANNMILLE
    ANNMILLE Posts: 8
    Options
    THANKS FOR THE INFO.