Tell me more about Sodium?

Options
I had a weight watchers meal today that had 630 mg of sodium!! Probably not the best choice but it was like 280 calories... and it was yummy i am still under like 1,000 for my daily sodium allowance but i am at 1638 right now for sodium i haven't eaten dinner yet and my measurements can be off since i am having leftovers.Is it a big deal that my sodium is this high but still under my daily limit??

Replies

• bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    From what I understand if you go over on your sodium, just drink an extra glass or two of water to flush it out.
  • funfor5
    funfor5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile it's not a bad thing! But sodium does make you retain water as that is how your body flushes/overcompensates for the extra sodium. So probably don't weigh yourself tomorrow - lol! and drink extra water and you should be just fine. :flowerforyou:
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Second the water, and eat a banana - that can help counteract the effects of sodium. Really, as long as you're under 2500 you're probably doing better than most Americans. We're saltaholics!!

Edit - it's the potassium in the banana obviously. Forgot that part.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, it's calories in, calories out. The sodium might make you appear heavier if you weigh yourself and may make you even look a bit bloated. Just know it's the water retention and it'll go away. Drink more water and you'll be fine. :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It is really important to watch you sodium. I know its boring but cut and paste website below and you'll get the info you want. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/DietaryGuidelines/2010/DGAC/Report/D-6-SodiumPotassiumWater.pdf#xml=http://65.216.150.153/texis/search/pdfhi.txt?query=sodium&pr=MyPyramid&rdepth=0&sufs=2&order=r&cq=&id=4d9cfb4413a

If you can't cut and paste go to mypyramid.gov and search sodium.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It's really a balancing act. Too much sodium can result in high blood pressure and could spark a heart attack and too little sodium could make you feel weak and exhausted all of the time. Our bodies need sodium just not too much of it.
    It's also a weight loss killer.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    the effects of too much sodium.. purely on water retention for me.. last 2 to 3 days... i drink lots of water to try to flush it but i have seen no evidence that doing so lessens the effect of the high sodium intake :(

Just have to revert to more restrained intake of sodium after the high sodium meals an wait it out really.
    i try to not have high sodium at all within 2 days before weigh-in *L*
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    stay away from frozen stuff they have a lot of sodium
    my limit is 2500 usually under, but working out helps to sweat it out
    So if you think your getting too much do some cardio in the evening
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options

I will be walking tonight at least 15 minutes when my husband gets home, i also will be doing my nightly situps which is usually anywhere from 15-30 will that help burn any of the sodium off?
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    It's really a balancing act. Too much sodium can result in high blood pressure and could spark a heart attack and too little sodium could make you feel weak and exhausted all of the time. Our bodies need sodium just not too much of it.
    It's also a weight loss killer.

from what my DR was telling me the average person 'needs' only 500mg of sodium a day unless they are extreme athletes and/or working out in a VERY hot climate.

heck.. somedays i swear my celery alone gives me that much sodium. stupid celery.. what a silly thing to be full of sodium *L*
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    It is really important to watch you sodium. I know its boring but cut and paste website below and you'll get the info you want. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/DietaryGuidelines/2010/DGAC/Report/D-6-SodiumPotassiumWater.pdf#xml=http://65.216.150.153/texis/search/pdfhi.txt?query=sodium&pr=MyPyramid&rdepth=0&sufs=2&order=r&cq=&id=4d9cfb4413a

If you can't cut and paste go to mypyramid.gov and search sodium.

Great info!!! Thanks for sharing:))
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

I will be walking tonight at least 15 minutes when my husband gets home, i also will be doing my nightly situps which is usually anywhere from 15-30 will that help burn any of the sodium off?
    if your sweating then its good!